212 replies to this topic

#161 TAFKAG

Twombly of Twimbledon Common

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

View PostGodot, on 13 April 2006 - 09:12 AM, said:

I guess they have been mentioned elsewhere but what remains of the Dubliners is worth watching. Luke Kelly and Ciaran Bourke have already gone and Ronnie Drew, another one of the originals is still going (as is the band, still touring too). At around 72, that is positively ancient for a Dubliner.

The last surviving founding member, banjo player Barney McKenna, survives no longer.

~ O Sting, where is thy death? ~

#162 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostTAFKAG, on 05 April 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

The last surviving founding member, banjo player Barney McKenna, survives no longer.

It's the way of all flesh, of course, but what a loss. I saw him (and the Dubliners) play in Rotterdam's De Doelen some five years ago. They weren't exactly sprightly, and mr McKenna did most of his banjo strumming while sitting on a stool. Nevertheless, the old men played as if they'd done nothing else in their lives. Their encore of The Town I Loved So Well moved me to tears.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#163 time

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

I guess they have been mentioned elsewhere but what remains of the Dubliners is worth watching. Luke Kelly and Ciaran Bourke have already gone and Ronnie Drew, another one of the originals is still going (as is the band, still touring too). At around 72, that is positively ancient for a Dubliner.

Feck! (as they say) He was going on my DDP team for this year but I forgot him! Feck!
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team Player of The Month, June 2014): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson (lost), Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#164 Grande Pablo

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

http://www.nme.com/n...s-artists/63100

Barney McKenna, of The Dubliners
DDP 2012 Morbid Midlands XX - 1/20 (Anthony Bate) =430th - 9 points

DDP 2013 Cannock Killing Club - 0/20 =531st - 0 points

DDP 2014 M6 Toll(ed) - 1/20
Tommy Mundon - Joker (d 21.07.14), Edward Clayton, Tom Coyne, Ed Doolan, Sir Doug Ellis, Jean Harvey (d 14.11.13 - bugger...), Anne Heywood, Vince Hill, Don Howe, Ace Kefford, Don Maclean, Brian Matthew, Peter McEnery, Valarie Minifie, Raymond Morris (d 11.03.14), Anna Quayle, Murray Walker, Billie Whitelaw, Leila Williams, Frank Windsor.

#165 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostGrande Pablo, on 06 April 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

http://www.nme.com/n...s-artists/63100

Barney McKenna, of The Dubliners

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#166 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

View Posttime, on 05 April 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

Feck! (as they say) He was going on my DDP team for this year but I forgot him! Feck!

I forgot to check to see who was still alive after Ronnie Drew died.

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2014 4/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#167 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:12 PM

No links I'm afraid, but I heard this evening that the slightly obscure folk singer Louisa Jo Killen was diagnosed with lung cancer last August, although I have no information about how she is doing now. She is probably better known (but still not well known enough for a Wikipedia page) as Louis Killen, however she underwent gender re-assignment surgery at the age of 75...

I'm sure she'll get a broadsheet obit when she goes. -_-
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#168 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on 03 July 2009 - 11:01 AM, said:

Doc Watson is still breathing, something I only discovered today. A little more than can be said of his son Merle who died in circumstances suited to a Monty Python sketch in 1985.

Merle was DIYing after midnight - as you do - when a huge splinter became embedded in his arm. He showed awesome powers of calm and pain tolerance, driving his tractor to neighbours who helped him remove the splinter and bandage himself, only for the tractor to lock its brakes on the return journey, throw him off and fall on top of him, crushing him to death in seconds.

Doc Watson is in hospital with pnuemonia and suspected kidney failure, which is never a good thing to have, especially if you happen to be 89 years old.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#169 adrian0719

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on 24 May 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Doc Watson is still breathing, something I only discovered today. A little more than can be said of his son Merle who died in circumstances suited to a Monty Python sketch in 1985.

Merle was DIYing after midnight - as you do - when a huge splinter became embedded in his arm. He showed awesome powers of calm and pain tolerance, driving his tractor to neighbours who helped him remove the splinter and bandage himself, only for the tractor to lock its brakes on the return journey, throw him off and fall on top of him, crushing him to death in seconds.

Doc Watson is in hospital with pnuemonia and suspected kidney failure, which is never a good thing to have, especially if you happen to be 89 years old.

Doc Watson in "critical condition". Daughter says no bones broken, but he's "real sick". http://hosted.ap.org...EMPLATE=DEFAULT
DDP: I will not die, it's the world that will end!: Sam Simon, Michael Schumacher, Sandy Jardine, Wilko Johnson, Candye Kane, Ryan Glenny, Lynne Stewart, Joost van der Westhuizen, Daisy Berkowitz, Clive James, Rev. Billy Graham, Casey Kasem, Mike Porcaro, Darren Daulton, Wubbo Ockels, Mike Burney, Sally Farmiloe, Pat Rice, Valerie Harper, David Norris

DDP Theme Team: The British (D)i(e)sles:
Katherine Crowe, Mary Wilson, Doug Ellis, Maureen O’Hara, Peter Maxwell Davies, Albert Reynolds, Tony Benn, John Bardon, Chris Woodhead, James Alexander Gordon, Liz Dawn, Peter Carrington, Jimmy Hill, Ethel Lang, Henry McCullough, Penny Calvert, Prince Philip, Christopher Lee, Ian Paisley, Murray Walker

Shadow:
Jay Lake, Alby Schultz, Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud, Little Jimmy Dickens, Wojciech Jaruzelski, Chespirito, June Foray, Dawn Sears, Kate Bornstein, Frances Oldham Kelly, Kim Kyong-hui, Bunny Mellon, Ellen Albertini Dow, Bob Dole, Hutton Gibson, Joao Havelange, Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, Ramon Jose Velasquez, Carman, Dora Bryan, Noel Neill, Abdul Sattar Edhil, Alicia Alonso, Kirk Douglas, Misao Okawa, Joan Kirner, Nancy Reagan, Raymond Gravel, Robert Schuller, Olivia de Havilland, Bess Myerson, Norman Lear, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Fidel Castro, Nuon Chea, Raul H. Castro, Mario Oriano-Ambrosini, Akkineni Nageswara Rao, George H.W. Bush, Joe Lala, Dean Bailey, Margherita Marchione, Robert Mugabe, Ieng Thirith, Don Rickles, Adolfo Suarez, Ariel Sharon, Gough Whitlam, Superstar Billy Graham

#170 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

The singer/guitarist Johnny Dickinson, who gets regular air play on Radio 2's folk show, is suffering from a nasty combination of blood cancer and Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

#171 time

Lord

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

View Postadrian0719, on 25 May 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on 24 May 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Doc Watson in "critical condition". Daughter says no bones broken, but he's "real sick". http://hosted.ap.org...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

Doc dead.
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team Player of The Month, June 2014): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson (lost), Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#172 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

This is a tad confusing, so bear with me. :huh:

The comedian and folk singer Sid Kipper is apparently in very ill health and will retire after a farewell appearance at the Whitby Folk Festival later this summer. However, the problem here is that Sid is actually a fictional character played by Chris Sugden and I'm not sure if the ill health I've heard about is affecting just Sid, or both of them. Sid was once a member of The Kipper Family with his dad Henry, played by Dick Nudd. That act ceased when Henry was killed off after Dick decided to retire from the music business (s/he is now believed to be living as a woman in Ireland).

So, in summary, I've got no links to suggest a person who doesn't exist in real life - and whose alter ego might not get an obituary anyway - has an unspecified health condition which may or may not be life threatening. Got to be worth a gamble, surely?

#173 angryGreatness

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on 23 July 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

The comedian and folk singer Sid Kipper is apparently in very ill health and will retire after a farewell appearance at the Whitby Folk Festival later this summer. However, the problem here is that Sid is actually a fictional character played by Chris Sugden and I'm not sure if the ill health I've heard about is affecting just Sid, or both of them. Sid was once a member of The Kipper Family with his dad Henry, played by Dick Nudd. That act ceased when Henry was killed off after Dick decided to retire from the music business (s/he is now believed to be living as a woman in Ireland).

So, in summary, I've got no links to suggest a person who doesn't exist in real life - and whose alter ego might not get an obituary anyway - has an unspecified health condition which may or may not be life threatening. Got to be worth a gamble, surely?

The real-life person probably IS sick, otherwise he'd probably just say he's retiring.
Still pretty convoluted.
DDP 2014:

Better Them Than Us!:
Daisy Berkowitz, Colin Bloomfield, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Darren Daulton, Fred DeLuca, Sally Farmiloe, Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen, Dr. Kate Granger, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Carolyn McCarthy Posted Image, Graeme Pollock Posted Image, Mike Porcaro, Pat Rice, Amy Robach, Robert Schuller, Stuart Scott, Sam Simon, Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Evergreen State of Decay [Theme: People born in Washington]
Paul Allen, Bob Barker, Glenn Beck Posted Image, Jerry Cantrell Posted Image, Carol Channing Posted Image, Orson Scott Card Posted Image, John Elway Posted Image, Kenny G Posted Image, Bill Gates, Ben Gibbard Posted Image. Ben Haggerty Posted Image, Donald M. Kendall Posted Image, Amanda Knox Posted Image, Gary Larson Posted Image, Ryan Lewis Posted Image, Chuck Palahniuk Posted Image, Anthony Ray Posted Image, Adam West, Jim Whittaker Posted Image, Michael Winslow Posted Image

Died in Committee [Theme: Current and former Senators]
Daniel Akaka Posted Image, Birch Bayh Posted Image, Edward Brooke Posted Image, Tom Coburn Posted Image, Ted Cruz Posted Image, Jeremiah Denton Posted Image, Bob Dole, Dianne Feinstein Posted Image, John Glenn, Orrin Hatch Posted Image, Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, Tim Johnson Posted Image, Mark Kirk Posted Image, Paul Laxalt Posted Image, John McCain, Mitch McConnell Posted Image, Walter Mondale, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller Posted Image, John Warner Posted Image

ShadowList 2014:
Rev. Billy Graham, General Jaruzelski, George Bush, Olivia de Havilland, Kirk Douglas, John Glenn, Luise Rainer, Christopher Lee, Nancy Reagan, Eli Wallach, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Bob Dole, Beverly Cleary, Robert Mugabe, Chuck Berry, Al Molinaro, Stan Lee, Lyndon LaRouche,
Ariel Sharon, Don Pardo, Jim Leavelle, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Don Rickles, June Foray, Mort Walker, Paul Laxalt, I.M. Pei, Edward Brooke, Pope Benedict XVI, Alan Young, Henry Kissinger, Hiroo Onoda, Chuck Yeager, Dr. Henry Heimlich, George Shultz, Vera Lynn, Mickey Rooney, Fidel Castro, Noel Neill, Jimmy Carter, Ben Bradlee, Mary Tyler Moore, Jack T. Chick, Jerry Lewis, Jake LaMotta, King Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz, Helmut Schmidt, Harper Lee, Gloria Vanderbilt, Abe Vigoda

#174 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on 23 July 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

Hmmm, sounds like a Frank Sidebottom job...can't find much by way of Googling to suggest he's that obit-worthy, mind. Local papers etc count for the Deathrace, so it might be worth anyone likely to enter that competition marking their cards for his demise being reported by BBC North East, or summat.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#175 time

Lord

• Members
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Gordon Lightfoot's 'sidekick', the bassist John Stockfish has died aged 69, of natural causes.

#176 Bibliogryphon

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Mike Harding (b 1944) has been put out to pasture by Radio 2

Not by mutual agreement.
"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2013 DDP Teams:

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team)
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader
Unusual Suspects

#177 TAFKAG

Twombly of Twimbledon Common

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Founding member of the Chieftains, fiddler/boner :unsure: Martin Fay, has died at 76.

~ O Sting, where is thy death? ~

#178 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Ian Campbell

Scots folk artist, founder of the folk group which bears his name and father of the Campbell brothers of UB40 fame.

Apologies if already posted elsewhere.
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#179 Guest_ob mitchell_*

• Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

re Sid Kipper-i talked to him at Cheltenham in March 2012-he was without doubt in very poor health and announced his retirement that evening at the theatre

#180 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Veteran folkie Meic Stevens - "The Welsh Bob Dylan" - is suffering from throat cancer, estimating his chances of survival to be 50/50.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users