31. Abe Vigoda Actor

47 replies to this topic

#1 BlackThirteen

Morbid interest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:00 AM

I was looking at extensions for Mozilla Firefox and I came across this: https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/morei...numpg=10&id=451 Of course I thought of all the sick bastards here waiting for him to die. And I mean that as a compliment. Anyway, if you use Firefox, it lets you know his status in the bar at the bottom of the browser window. Fun!

#2 Lady Die

I have no life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:56 AM

The deathlist is so educational. I didn't have the faintest idea who Abe Vigoda was, so I googled him & found a website with his photo. And now I still don't have a clue who he is.
There were three of us in the morgue so it was rather crowded

#3 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:57 AM

Posted Image

Played Sal Tessio in the Godfather films, amongst other things. Have to admit I had to google myself, although the name was familiar
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#4 Josco

I Need To Get A Life!

• Moderators
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:35 AM

VSBfromH, on Jun 8 2005, 09:57 AM, said:

Have to admit I had to google myself, although the name was familiar
Did you find out anything new?
"If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear...." Jacqui Smith - Ex-Home Secretary (and many other misguided fools)
"I fear having to prove I have nothing to hide." Josco

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves".
William Pitt, 1783

Shaw's Principle: "Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it."

#5 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

No, but I did find this:

wikipedia entry

well, fark me!

#6 Lady Die

I have no life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:56 AM

VSBfromH, on Jun 8 2005, 11:55 AM, said:

No, but I did find this:

wikipedia entry

well, fark me!
Oooh he shares my birthday (different year)
There were three of us in the morgue so it was rather crowded

#7 BrunoBrimley

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:22 PM

I mainly remember him from the television show Barney Miller starring the soon to be late Hal Linden. Vigoda was Phil Fish and went on to his own spinoff show appropriately called Fish. Fish did not find the success of Barney Miller but it did give us all an early look at young actor Todd Bridges who later went on to be the older brother in Different Strokes which had Conrad Bain as their adoptive dad. (Are you folks aware that Bain was birthed in Canada in February of 1923?) In Fish, Bridges played adopted child Loomis and the show also starred Florence Stanley... Well, um, uh, er, what else can I say except here's a picture of the early Barney Miller cast as they looked a few decades ago:
Posted Image

I always enjoyed that show.

#8 Gunjaman5000

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:18 PM

Great theme music I recall.
They burned the mother down.

#9 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:16 PM

Gunjaman5000, on Jun 9 2005, 12:18 AM, said:

Great theme music I recall.
Great ehm.... chin.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#10 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:30 PM

Just checking

#11 in eternum+

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:13 AM

BlackThirteen, on Jun 7 2005, 09:00 PM, said:

I was looking at extensions for Mozilla Firefox and I came across this: https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/morei...numpg=10&id=451 Of course I thought of all the sick bastards here waiting for him to die. And I mean that as a compliment. Anyway, if you use Firefox, it lets you know his status in the bar at the bottom of the browser window. Fun!
I like this! I now have a tiny little Abe Vigoda at the bottom of my Mozilla browser, smiling up at me. No idea who he is, but I know that he's alive.

Wouldn't it be great if the DL offered something like this? Like, you could choose one candidate from the current list and have them at the bottom of your browser, so every time it was open there they'd be, providing you with their very own up-to-the-minute status report.

I wonder who I would choose...
Proud to be Old Skool

#12 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:35 AM

in eternum+, on Jan 11 2006, 06:13 AM, said:

Harold Pinter, of course.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#13 in eternum+

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:37 AM

Magere Hein, on Jan 11 2006, 12:35 AM, said:

in eternum+, on Jan 11 2006, 06:13 AM, said:

Harold Pinter, of course.

regards,
Hein
Anything for you, MH
Proud to be Old Skool

#14 in eternum+

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:45 AM

View PostBlackThirteen, on Jun 8 2005, 02:00 AM, said:

I was looking at extensions for Mozilla Firefox and I came across this: https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/morei...g=10&id=451 Of course I thought of all the sick bastards here waiting for him to die. And I mean that as a compliment. Anyway, if you use Firefox, it lets you know his status in the bar at the bottom of the browser window. Fun!
Rather unfortunately, it would appear that this add-in is no longer available. I thoroughly enjoyed having it at the bottom of my browser, but said browser suffered a mini-meltdown last year and no longer do I have a tiny Abe smiling up at me.

However 1) I now know who he is, and 2) he's on my DDP team.

Go Abe!
Proud to be Old Skool

#15 weatherman90

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:33 PM

I'm not happy about this selection, He should live well into his 90s. He appears regularly on the American talk show "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" as an extra, and looks great for his age. He still has great wit and a good sense of humor. This guy will easily survive the year. There are lots of 85 year olds in worse shape that should have been selected.
"I really wish I had a signature." - Weatherman90

#16 Youth in Asia

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:34 PM

I think a couple of the names on this year's list are completely made up, this being one of them.
"All the time, all the wasted time
All the years, waiting for a sign"

Barry Manilow 1978

2013 - 235th
2012 - 167th
2011 - 44th
2010 - 355th
2009 - 27th
2008 - 70th
2007 - 176th

ALLAH AKBAR ... closes eyes ... (bang)

#17 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:39 PM

"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 10 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#18 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,957 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:06 PM

Wiki page for Abe.. Made up! He was in The Godfather for f**k's sake.

More pertinent to us, he's been the subject of a celebrated web page for years that simply displays a picture and informs the world of his continued existence. Rather like Clive Dunn's perpetual listing in our DL this is ironic humour that - kind of - celebrates his death and his life at one and the same time. The people behind the stunt have www.abevigoda.com as well and you can enjoy their song - Abe Vigoda's Dead - on the page.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#19 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:09 PM

View PostYouth in Asia, on Jan 5 2007, 06:34 PM, said:

I think a couple of the names on this year's list are completely made up, this being one of them.

I doubt it, but anybody who has heard of Ruby Muhammad probably thinks she is long dead allready.

#20 weatherman90

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:07 AM

He's plenty heard of - he was on CHiPs over here in the U.S. But can anyone supply me with rationale as to why he was selected (see my question below)

View Postweatherman90, on Jan 2 2007, 11:33 PM, said:

I'm not happy about this selection, He should live well into his 90s. He appears regularly on the American talk show "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" as an extra, and looks great for his age. He still has great wit and a good sense of humor. This guy will easily survive the year. There are lots of 85 year olds in worse shape that should have been selected.

"I really wish I had a signature." - Weatherman90

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users