J. D. Salinger Author

113 replies to this topic

#21 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,304 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:26 PM

When I logged on from the 2006 DL the thread didn't bear much relation to the great man and his works. I know hideous consumer excess in a vacuous society is a Salinger theme but surely Ms Wlidesteen's appearance on his thread is a mistake.

[Threads merged - ff]

Edited by football_fan, 01 March 2006 - 12:29 AM.

Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#22 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:28 PM

maryportfuncity, on Jan 1 2006, 12:26 PM, said:

When I logged on from the 2006 DL the thread didn't bear much relation to the great man and his works. I know hideous consumer excess in a vacuous society is a Salinger theme but surely Ms Wlidesteen's appearance on his thread is a mistake.
I don't think the links are quite working yet. He does have his own thread ripe for the picking though. It's called "Catcher in the Rye" floating around somewhere.
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#23 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:15 AM

Canadian Paul, on Jan 1 2006, 07:25 PM, said:

Day 1 of the Deathlist and we already have a birthday! J.D. Salinger is 87 and hasn't done anything public for the last four decades.

Wow, doing the age calculation for 2006 felt weird... I wanted to impulsively say 86.

Too bad there's never any news on Salinger's health... or anything else concerning him for that matter.
Don't know much about him besides he's an author and that his book
"Catcher In The Rye" was compulsively read by Mark Chapman
John Lennon's killer. They say the moment after he shot Lennon
dead on that warm December night he went right back to the part
in the book where he left off.

#24 BrunoBrimley

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:39 AM

Josco, on Jun 6 2005, 07:09 AM, said:

Notapotato, on Jun 5 2005, 05:33 PM, said:

Magere Hein, on Jun 5 2005, 05:10 PM, said:

BrunoBrimley, on Jun 5 2005, 01:07 AM, said:

I always enjoyed rye flakes myself-- bathed in a bath of well aged rye they make a very good breakfast.
[HOMER]Hmmm, rye flakes.[/HOMER]

I wonder if that works with soggies and single malt whisky. It sounds a bit decadent.
Although generally opposed to the adulteration of Single Malt, I'd be interested to hear about the results of that experiment, if you perform it Hein.

How about Cheerios with Hendrick's Gin? Posted Image
I have had cornflakes with cheap red wine for breakfast once. Not really recommended.
It wasn't that bad and in point of factuals I went back and had a second bowl...although I neglected the corn flakes the second time.

#25 millwall32

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:03 AM

Here is a kinda recvent photgraph of him.

Posted Image
The mother of idiots is always pregnant.

"Guess what. I've got a fever. And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL."

#26 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:41 PM

millwall32, on Feb 7 2006, 01:03 AM, said:

Here is a kinda recvent photgraph of him.

Posted Image
Whoa, where'd you get THAT?
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

I still owe NAP

#27 RonPrice

Morbid interest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:08 AM

I have posted this piece that found its origins in Salinger, just to place one of the issues that his life raises on this thread. As someone who was a teacher for 30 years and as someone who is more than a little aware that many know little to nothing about Salinger, I post this item here. I was 8 when Catcher hit the market and it was many years later that I frist read that book. :blink: :ph34r:

Many writers, artists, poets, people in the world of culture and the arts, go into seclusion after their early successes. In a radio program today, Arts Today, two such writers were mentioned: J.D. Salinger and Thomas Pynchon. Others go into seclusion later in their careers. It is part of a general pattern which the historian Arnold Toynbee calls "withdrawal-and-return." Others call the axis along which specific changes or rhythms take place 'approach-and-separation.' Sometimes the artist will withdraw and never return. Sometimes he will return or approach in a more moderate way than he had originally. I have, recently, withdrawn or separated from quite an intense milieux of employment and community work and I have returned in a moderate way. The pressure of the times predisposed me to go inward. This process works in solitude and is, for the most part, not observable to others. Insight comes from an inner gestation, a Socratic wisdom associated with knowing yourself, a personal growth. Reversal brings drama, change, intensification, landmarks on a personal quest. -Ron Price, Pioneering Over Four Epochs, 29 March 2001.

Shocking public events
have inspired this poetic,
catastrophic happenings
to someone born in 1944,
to someone who tried
to find the Kingdom
come with power
and has now seen
nearly half a century
of its slow establishment
around the world.

Here are enough themes
to occupy the time, energy
and genius of a dozen historians,
the inspiration from another realm,
a most wonderful and thrilling motion,
fifty years of it, drying out my
intellectual eyes with a series of
barren fields and psychically
winding my mind with a new fertility
that surpassed all that I had experienced
in life and filled my days
with a revivifying breath
or I would have died in
the wasteland without a wimper.

Ron Price 30 March 2001
Ron Price is a retired teacher, aged 60. He taught for 30 years in primary, secondary and post-secondary schools. He lives with his wife, Chris Jones, in Tasmania. She has written three books since 1999. They are all available on the internet for free.Their 3 children are now aged: 39, 34 and 27. Ron moved to Australia from Wales in 1971.

#28 Boudicca

Stealth-mode addict

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:55 PM

Welcome back, Mr Price!

Good to see you.

I trust you're coping with the door handles these days, as you seem to be fairly settled.

All the best.

Bou
Valar morghulis.

#29 Life Begins at 5 o'clock

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:02 AM

Why Salinger? Has he had any health scares? Aside from being a recluse he doesn't seem to have any other odd/dangerous habits. If the powers that be were set on picking an auther a better choice - to me - would have been Kurt Vonnegut, a smoker, chronically depressed, who complains that everyone he knows has been dying off. Not to long ago I read someplace that he had tried to kill himself again. Don't have a link for it unfortunately, but suicide seems to be something he makes a stab more frequently than most people.

#30 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:23 AM

View PostLife Begins at 5 o'clock, on Feb 13 2006, 01:02 AM, said:

Why Salinger? Has he had any health scares? Aside from being a recluse he doesn't seem to have any other odd/dangerous habits. If the powers that be were set on picking an auther a better choice - to me - would have been Kurt Vonnegut, a smoker, chronically depressed, who complains that everyone he knows has been dying off. Not to long ago I read someplace that he had tried to kill himself again. Don't have a link for it unfortunately, but suicide seems to be something he makes a stab more frequently than most people.

One need not understand or even accept the Death List, only tolerate it. :(

As we found out with Richard Pryor, the list occassionaly works in mysterious ways.

I still owe NAP

#31 Life Begins at 5 o'clock

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:53 AM

Point of order, writing doesn't indicate health, it's not like being a musician or entertainer. Since it's much more sedentary you can still do it long after your physical prowess has departed. Stephen Hawking is an example.

#32 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,304 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:09 PM

Don't knock Stephen Hawking, he pulled a new woman when all he had to offer was a little head movement and the limited reflexes in his fingers, well that and a few million in the bank.

Incidentally, writing well does indicate something about good health in that your brain is still firing on all six. The way I see it, writers often stay interested and motivated into old age and that fires their immune systems when others just waste away. Something must be firing Kurt Vonnegut's immune system if he's publishing a book after 71 years as an unrepentant smoker.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#33 Tomb raider

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:44 PM

[quote name='http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4724314.stm']He explained two friends from his children's generation "rescued" him by persuading him to write again.
"They did for me what Jesus did for Lazarus," he said.
"I really was so dead I stunk, but now here I am back here at the age of 83."[/quote]

Wow, it seems that Vonnegut almost turned out to be a miss for the list!
The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

I Corinthians 15:26

Winner of the Nederlandse Dead Pool 2010! (5 hits/25 picks, 92 points)!
DDP 2010: 4 hits/20 picks, 27 points =98th.

#34 Life Begins at 5 o'clock

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:28 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Feb 20 2006, 11:09 PM, said:

Don't knock Stephen Hawking, he pulled a new woman when all he had to offer was a little head movement and the limited reflexes in his fingers, well that and a few million in the bank.

He's got the habit of getting into abusive relationships. I hear he's going to appear on the Jerry Springer Show soon. "You beat me and I'm cheating in another dimension" I believe is the theme.

#35 beebee

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:05 PM

View PostLife Begins at 5 o'clock, on Feb 21 2006, 03:28 PM, said:

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Feb 20 2006, 11:09 PM, said:

He's got the habit of getting into abusive relationships. I hear he's going to appear on the Jerry Springer Show soon. "You beat me and I'm cheating in another dimension" I believe is the theme.

i was going to make a clever, but rude remark here. but i won't, which is not like me at all.

sh was on star trek-tng once.

if he goes on jerry springer his iq will drop, like a million points, won't it?

apparently, he has an album out now, too

Attached Files

• Attached File  662.jpg   13.03K   60 downloads

#36 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,304 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

To those of you unfamiliar with the great man's rap works I think the following review posted on Amazon might prove useful.

This stuff is frickin hilarious, Its just a load of rap about science but spoken in computer language (i.e. Hawking language)

You have to hear it to comprehend its full hilarity so i seriously advise you to get it or at least download a few tracks first.

Especially liked "Fu** The Creationists" and "Entropy" very clever

If Steve ever gets bored studying black holes, there's always going to be a place for him in the music industry - 'Big up' MC Hawking

Sadly Amazon offers a clip of every track except the real winner: 'F**k the Creationists.' One track: 'Crazy as F**k' includes the totally sublime line...'My dick is twice as long as my attention span.'

Highly recommended and a current favourite at MPFC Towers.
Posted Image

#37 Bennett_Cerf

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:59 PM

I recall the first time I read Catcher In The Rye. It was not a particularly well written book and I must admit that I subsequently used it for fireplace kindlestart a few pages at a time.

#38 Guest_LilMimi_*

• Guests

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:21 PM

Well we had a big author death with Mickey Spillane. Now if only we could get J.D. Sallinger to be a DL author success.

#39 Holy Diver

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:42 PM

I read Catcher in the Rye when I was 16 I think. The book really clicked with me, and I really quite enjoyed it. In fact, I didn't realise it was set in the 50s until someone told me. The book seemed to reflect so many feelings and experiences that felt familiar to me. Although ultimately nihilistic, and not exactly a happy ending, I found the book quite cathartic and enjoyed it a lot. Sadly, that is the only book I've really enjoyed by Salinger. 'The laughing man' wasn't bad, but it wasn't brilliant by any standards. JD Salingers career seemed to climax with 'Catcher in the Rye' which is a shame seeings as it's one of the first books he wrote.

If he's any good at being a recluse, then he might already be dead without our knowledge...
Trial is by water, no one can win, drowned and you're innocent, guilty you swim

#40 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:46 PM

View PostHoly Diver, on Sep 1 2006, 09:42 PM, said:

I read Catcher in the Rye when I was 16 I think. The book really clicked with me, and I really quite enjoyed it. In fact, I didn't realise it was set in the 50s until someone told me. The book seemed to reflect so many feelings and experiences that felt familiar to me. Although ultimately nihilistic, and not exactly a happy ending, I found the book quite cathartic and enjoyed it a lot. Sadly, that is the only book I've really enjoyed by Salinger. 'The laughing man' wasn't bad, but it wasn't brilliant by any standards. JD Salingers career seemed to climax with 'Catcher in the Rye' which is a shame seeings as it's one of the first books he wrote.

If he's any good at being a recluse, then he might already be dead without our knowledge...
Yep he's the Orson Welles of fiction writing. He peaked so young and the rest was downhill. It must be a bugger trying to live up to your own reputation.
"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 21 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users