World's Oldest

1171 replies to this topic

#741 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

So Jiroemon Kimura of Japan becomes the new world's oldest man. He is also the last known living man born in the year 1897 and the only documented man still alive who was born before 1900.

The article in the link is a couple of years old, but at least we get a picture.
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#742 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

VSBfromH, on Apr 15 2011, 03:52 PM, said:

So Jiroemon Kimura of Japan becomes the new world's oldest man. He is also the last known living man born in the year 1897 and the only documented man still alive who was born before 1900.

The article in the link is a couple of years old, but at least we get a picture.
I was booking a flight on EasyJet yesterday and I noticed the online birth date options started at 1850, so there's nothing to stop him travelling as long as he doesn't mind paying for each piece of luggage, in flight meals, priority bath chair etc. It's really inclusive of them to have an upper age limit of 161.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#743 notaguest

Shipman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

Interesting to note that there are about 50 women still alive who were born in the 19th century but only one man.Women really do live longer!
I was thrown off this forum for posting too many interesting and entertaining posts,thus embarrassing less imaginative posters than myself.If you feel this is not fair or democratic and indeed infringes my basic human rights under the United Nations laws please let the moderators and admin know.Thanks.

#744 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:51 PM

notaguest, on Apr 15 2011, 09:48 PM, said:

Interesting to note that there are about 50 women still alive who were born in the 19th century but only one man.Women really do live longer!

That's 2 world wars for you...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#745 notaguest

Shipman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

themaninblack, on Apr 15 2011, 09:51 PM, said:

notaguest, on Apr 15 2011, 09:48 PM, said:

That's 2 world wars for you...
That and the stress of being married to women!
I was thrown off this forum for posting too many interesting and entertaining posts,thus embarrassing less imaginative posters than myself.If you feel this is not fair or democratic and indeed infringes my basic human rights under the United Nations laws please let the moderators and admin know.Thanks.

#746 notaguest

Shipman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:22 AM

The worlds new oldest man has become only the 6th man ever to celebrate his 114th birthday and vows to still be around for his 120th. I give him 6 months

#747 Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:42 AM

notaguest, on Apr 20 2011, 05:22 AM, said:

The worlds new oldest man has become only the 6th man ever to celebrate his 114th birthday and vows to still be around for his 120th. I give him 6 months

Especially when you consider all those disasters which sre liable to strike Japan. Earthquakes...Tsunamis...Godzilla...
Shadow List 2014.

Wilko Johnson, Muhammed Ali, Helen Fawkes, David Norris, Flora Fraser, Stephen Lewis, Jim Bowen, John Bardon, Albert Reynolds, Rev Billy Graham, Daisy Berkowitz, Wojciech Jaeuzelski, Clive James, Robert Mugabe, George H. W. Bush, Leslie Phillips, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Stephen Hawking, Nancy Reagan, Jeremy Thorpe, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, Tariq Aziz, Murray Walker, Stuart Hall, Luise Rainer, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Edgar Ray Killen, Prince Philip, Paul O'Grady, Arthur Scargill, Jalal Talabani, Iain Paisley, Mikhail Gorbachez, Sean Connery, Jimmy Greaves, Sir Nicholas Winton, Sam Simon, Derek Fowlds, Pope Benedict XVI, Richard Attenborough, Harlan Ellison, Fidel Castro, Valerie Harper, Saif al-Isam Megrahi, Queen Fabiola, Ariel Sharon, Liz Smith, Bruce Forsyth, Fred Phelps.

2009: 13/50, 2010: 10/50, 2011: 9/50, 2012: 15/50, 2013:16/50, 2014: 5/50 Winner of the 2010 Dustpool.

#748 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

Windsor, on Apr 20 2011, 01:42 PM, said:

notaguest, on Apr 20 2011, 05:22 AM, said:

Especially when you consider all those disasters which are liable to strike Japan. Earthquakes...Tsunamis...Godzilla...
A mutant ninja Godzilla, at that...

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#749 notaguest

Shipman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

the worlds oldest person Maria Gomez Valentin has passed on her title

PS she was only verified as the oldest person alive last month,so the woman we t hought was the oldest person ,Besse Cooper, and who actually wasn't,now is, if you can follow that.

#750 time

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

Botswana's oldest woman dies aged 130.

Presumably, the Guinness Book of Records reach doesn't extend to Botswana.
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team Player of The Month, June 2014): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson (lost), Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#751 angryGreatness

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

France's oldest person Mathilde Aussant has died aged 113.
DDP 2014:

Better Them Than Us!:
Daisy Berkowitz, Colin Bloomfield, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Darren Daulton, Fred DeLuca, Sally Farmiloe, Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen, Dr. Kate Granger, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Carolyn McCarthy Posted Image, Graeme Pollock Posted Image, Mike Porcaro, Pat Rice, Amy Robach, Robert Schuller, Stuart Scott, Sam Simon, Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Evergreen State of Decay [Theme: People born in Washington]
Paul Allen, Bob Barker, Glenn Beck Posted Image, Jerry Cantrell Posted Image, Carol Channing Posted Image, Orson Scott Card Posted Image, John Elway Posted Image, Kenny G Posted Image, Bill Gates, Ben Gibbard Posted Image. Ben Haggerty Posted Image, Donald M. Kendall Posted Image, Amanda Knox Posted Image, Gary Larson Posted Image, Ryan Lewis Posted Image, Chuck Palahniuk Posted Image, Anthony Ray Posted Image, Adam West, Jim Whittaker Posted Image, Michael Winslow Posted Image

Died in Committee [Theme: Current and former Senators]
Daniel Akaka Posted Image, Birch Bayh Posted Image, Edward Brooke Posted Image, Tom Coburn Posted Image, Ted Cruz Posted Image, Jeremiah Denton Posted Image, Bob Dole, Dianne Feinstein Posted Image, John Glenn, Orrin Hatch Posted Image, Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, Tim Johnson Posted Image, Mark Kirk Posted Image, Paul Laxalt Posted Image, John McCain, Mitch McConnell Posted Image, Walter Mondale, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller Posted Image, John Warner Posted Image

ShadowList 2014:
Rev. Billy Graham, General Jaruzelski, George Bush, Olivia de Havilland, Kirk Douglas, John Glenn, Luise Rainer, Christopher Lee, Nancy Reagan, Eli Wallach, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Bob Dole, Beverly Cleary, Robert Mugabe, Chuck Berry, Al Molinaro, Stan Lee, Lyndon LaRouche,
Ariel Sharon, Don Pardo, Jim Leavelle, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Don Rickles, June Foray, Mort Walker, Paul Laxalt, I.M. Pei, Edward Brooke, Pope Benedict XVI, Alan Young, Henry Kissinger, Hiroo Onoda, Chuck Yeager, Dr. Henry Heimlich, George Shultz, Vera Lynn, Mickey Rooney, Fidel Castro, Noel Neill, Jimmy Carter, Ben Bradlee, Mary Tyler Moore, Jack T. Chick, Jerry Lewis, Jake LaMotta, King Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz, Helmut Schmidt, Harper Lee, Gloria Vanderbilt, Abe Vigoda

#752 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:05 AM

Europe's oldest person, Venere Pizzinato, who was born into the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1896, has just gone at 114:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-05/euro...on-dies/2826014

EDIT: Thinking about it another way, this means that one or two of the snotty little 14 year old brats running around now will still be here in that eerily distant year, 2111.

#753 time

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

World's Oldest Woman passes away.

What another one? I hear you cry.

According to the article, her date of birth only became official once she became a Turkish citizen, earlier this year.
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team Player of The Month, June 2014): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson (lost), Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#754 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

Oldest Aussie bites the dust at 112: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-01/olde...an-dies/3204232

#755 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:34 PM

The oldest woman in Wales has died one day before her 110th birthday.What a bummer http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-15421370

#756 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

Apparently Germany's oldest woman Charlotte Bauch died in May but it's only come to light in recent weeks:

http://en.wikipedia....Charlotte_Bauch

LIkely to be a keeper in the List of the Lost for 2011...

#757 Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:21 PM

Windsor, on 30 September 2010 - 09:04 PM, said:

heaven can wait, on Sep 30 2010, 07:53 PM, said:

Windsor, on Sep 30 2010, 11:04 AM, said:

World's oldest twins turn 98.

My friend's gran and her twin sister turn 101 later this year. Plus, wikipedia has a list of twins who are 99 and over.
So they are not quite the world's oldest.

Maybe you should contact the BBC to let them know.

I think the Guinness Book of Records need to know. I will let my friend know, as its not really my place. :P

My friend's granny and great aunt now seem to be recognised as Britain's Oldest Twins.
They celebrated their 102nd birthdays two days ago:

http://www.dailymail...-long-life.html

Guinness still recognise the Welsh twins as the oldest in the world though...
Shadow List 2014.

Wilko Johnson, Muhammed Ali, Helen Fawkes, David Norris, Flora Fraser, Stephen Lewis, Jim Bowen, John Bardon, Albert Reynolds, Rev Billy Graham, Daisy Berkowitz, Wojciech Jaeuzelski, Clive James, Robert Mugabe, George H. W. Bush, Leslie Phillips, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Stephen Hawking, Nancy Reagan, Jeremy Thorpe, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, Tariq Aziz, Murray Walker, Stuart Hall, Luise Rainer, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Edgar Ray Killen, Prince Philip, Paul O'Grady, Arthur Scargill, Jalal Talabani, Iain Paisley, Mikhail Gorbachez, Sean Connery, Jimmy Greaves, Sir Nicholas Winton, Sam Simon, Derek Fowlds, Pope Benedict XVI, Richard Attenborough, Harlan Ellison, Fidel Castro, Valerie Harper, Saif al-Isam Megrahi, Queen Fabiola, Ariel Sharon, Liz Smith, Bruce Forsyth, Fred Phelps.

2009: 13/50, 2010: 10/50, 2011: 9/50, 2012: 15/50, 2013:16/50, 2014: 5/50 Winner of the 2010 Dustpool.

#758 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

Windsor, on 17 November 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

My friend's gran and her twin sister turn 101 later this year. Plus, wikipedia has a list of twins who are 99 and over.

I think the Guinness Book of Records need to know. I will let my friend know, as its not really my place. :P

My friend's granny and great aunt now seem to be recognised as Britain's Oldest Twins.

That's resolved a bit of a puzzle. While I was doing a sweep of the entries to check whether any had snuffed it, I noticed the two pairs each with the "oldest" twins tag and pondered on whether the older set had actually died, but it's nice to see that their still alive. I will update their status, official or not, on the database...

EDIT - hold on, their not the twins on the database, so who the hell are they? What happend to the "other" oldest twins, Olive Tucker and Ivy Shermer? Are they dead? :scratchhead:

#759 Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

themaninblack, on 17 November 2011 - 11:12 PM, said:

Windsor, on 17 November 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

That's resolved a bit of a puzzle. While I was doing a sweep of the entries to check whether any had snuffed it, I noticed the two pairs each with the "oldest" twins tag and pondered on whether the older set had actually died, but it's nice to see that their still alive. I will update their status, official or not, on the database...

EDIT - hold on, their not the twins on the database, so who the hell are they? What happend to the "other" oldest twins, Olive Tucker and Ivy Shermer? Are they dead? :scratchhead:

Olive Tucker and Ivy Shermer seem to have been forgotten about when Betty Richards and Jenny Pelmore took the title from them on the occassion of their 100th birthday back in January 2008. I have found no evidence of Olive or Ivy's death, and if they were still alive they would be Britain's oldest twins by about 6 months.
Unfortunately I can't search the register of deaths for England because the resource I use only goes as far as 2006.

I would assume one of them has probably died. They would likley have made the papers again for their 100th birthday in 2009, and their 101st and 102nd if they were both still living.
Shadow List 2014.

#760 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

notaguest, on 15 April 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

P.S walters death means that the worlds new oldest man Chiyono Hasegawa is the last man alive to be born in the 19th century
A woman, but still dead. http://www.washingto...H2JO_story.html

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users