Mr Stats

World's Oldest

so who is now the new worlds oldest man?

so who is now the new worlds oldest man?

The title of the world’s oldest man now belongs to Koide, a resident of the central Japanese city of Nagoya, who was born in March 1903, according to the health ministry.

It's in the report. Took me all of 10 seconds to find.

Just some random stats for anyone who is interested:

For those who don't know, the nation of Australia was created on the 1st of January, 1901 (for better or for worse.) Prior to that, it had been a cluster of British colonies.

I decided to look up the last surviving colonial Australian and it seems to be one Mrs Miriam Schmierer who died in September 2011 at 112 years of age:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miriam_Schmierer

The current oldest llving Australian is Ethel Farrell, born on the 27th of November 1902, when the country was still under two years old. Mrs Farrell, was however, born over in India (also, of course, a British colony at that time.) Farrell is also the only living Australian centenarian at the moment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_supercentenarians

hang on, surely she is not the only Australian over 100? is that even what you meant?

or super centenarian

hang on, surely she is not the only Australian over 100? is that even what you meant?

or super centenarian

meant supercentenarian, dammit. :P

Yes, we haven't all drunk ousrselves into the grave by 99.

or super centenarian

just the majority of you!! :champagne:

or super centenarian

So Rolf Harris' enforced alcohol free holiday at HM pleasure, may give him longevity and national celebrity in another direction, then.

or super centenarian

So Rolf Harris' enforced alcohol free holiday at HM pleasure, may give him longevity and national celebrity in another direction, then.

i'm getting myself a nice new pair of dancing shoes for when rolf harris dies!

Two new 110+ women have just been recently verified.

Anonymous (15 March 1900) - Japan

Ruth Newman (23 September 1901) - USA

Both find their spot in the Top 10.

Good to hear Ruth Newman has had her longevity verified while alive. She survived the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, and is still breathing.

*insert random plug for 2016 Deathrace here*

• Like 1

Anonymous like!!!

shouldnt be allowed.

Wrinkly old senile stranger is apparently 115 but nobody knows who they are?

• Like 1

Came across this article just now. At 110 Agnes Fenton gotta be in the top 100. Anyway she looks like she'll be kicking for a couple years yet.
SC
Edit: Good quote from article: "That means roughly 1 in every 10 million people in the world is a supercentenarian." Now we have a statistic.

Anonymous like!!!

shouldnt be allowed.

Wrinkly old senile stranger is apparently 115 but nobody knows who they are?

What a stupid comment. If a person doesn't want her name revealed to the rest of the world, she automatically stops being a living person? :banghead:

Came across this article just now. At 110 Agnes Fenton gotta be in the top 100. Anyway she looks like she'll be kicking for a couple years yet.

SC

Edit: Good quote from article: "That means roughly 1 in every 10 million people in the world is a supercentenarian." Now we have a statistic.

Wikipedia currently has 47 verified people aged 111 or more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_living_people

For some reason, they do not have the 110 year-old people in the official list (too many or none at all?), but they have 7 cases in the "pending" list. Well, I guess, since the 110-year old people have just recently become supercentenarians, the verification process needs some time to confirm them.

Anyway, I had checked that list because there apparently was a 114-year old woman in India that just died, but she didn't appear on any list either:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/tamil-nadu/114-year-old-toda-woman-passes-away_1639002.html

Her age of 114 would have put her in the top 10.

SC

For some reason, they do not have the 110 year-old people in the official list (too many or none at all?), but they have 7 cases in the "pending" list. Well, I guess, since the 110-year old people have just recently become supercentenarians, the verification process needs some time to confirm them.

Anyway, I had checked that list because there apparently was a 114-year old woman in India that just died, but she didn't appear on any list either:

http://zeenews.india.com/news/tamil-nadu/114-year-old-toda-woman-passes-away_1639002.html

Actually the article I posted gives conflicting numbers of about 600 and about 360 for the total super centenarians, which would put my gal at #361 lol.

"Of the 7 billion people on the planet, a microscopic number are 110 or older. Robert Young, director of the Gerontology Research Group, which keeps track of supercentenarians, estimates 600. Dr. Thomas Perls, founding director of the New England Centenarian Study at Boston University School of Medicine, of which Fenton is a participant, puts the number at 360."

SC

SC

I wonder what will happen if "Anonymous" becomes the oldest person in the world ? Have we ever had an anonymous oldest person before?

• Like 1

SC

I wonder what will happen if "Anonymous" becomes the oldest person in the world ? Have we ever had an anonymous oldest person before?

Nope that would be a first.

SC

Except for all those thousands of years when there was no press, birth certificates, or the popular concept of "records".

(...) {Quotes snipped for brevity}

Except for all those thousands of years when there was no press, birth certificates, or the popular concept of "records".
I beg to differ. The concept of longevity records is at least as old as The Holy Bible. But it would have been quite hard to challenge the record holder.

Genesis 5:21-27

21 And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:

22 And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:

23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:

24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

25 And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech.

26 And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters:

27 And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died."

For someone who has the word "Gossip" in your name, you sure can be a humourless chappy sometimes.

did they have DNA testing back in Biblical times?

• Like 2