Carroll Shelby is the mastermind behind the Cobra car now copied by every kit-car manufacturer under the sun. He is also responsible for the mother of all muscle cars, the classic Shelby Mustang.

This link takes you to an interview with him published late last year (2004).

http://www.freep.com...1e_20041111.htm

Mr. Shelby, 81 (possibly 82 by now), is one of the longest-surviving double-organ transplant recipients, with a heart in 1991 and kidney in 1996.

A couple of interesting quotes from the article as follows:

"When I got my heart 14 years ago (from a Las Vegas gambler who dropped dead at a craps table), I had two weeks to live," he said. "Eight years ago, I got a kidney from my son. I live it a day at a time. But I still have the desire, the ideas."

and

"I've kind of fallen in love with it [his ranch in East Texas]. I've got to re-fence it, I've got to put 12,000 tons of chicken manure on it, and the house needs rewiring. It's a 10-year deal, and I won't be around in 10 years. But we're getting started."

Can anyone give an update on Carrolls health? I hope he hasn't seized since this interview was published.

DWB :P

I've got to put 12,000 tons of chicken manure on it, ........

DWB :P

Where does one buy vast amounts of chicken poo, and how much per ton?

Hadn't realised Shelby was still alive. 90 in a couple of years. I know a guy who was involved in F1 and motorsports back then as a photographer. He once walked in on Shelby bedding two women at once. As well as his race car design, he truly was one of the live-fast, die-young brigade, so it's great to see he's still breathing.

Guest Guest

Hadn't realised Shelby was still alive. 90 in a couple of years. I know a guy who was involved in F1 and motorsports back then as a photographer. He once walked in on Shelby bedding two women at once. As well as his race car design, he truly was one of the live-fast, die-young brigade, so it's great to see he's still breathing.

sorry to break the news but...he ain't anymore

I was hoping that he'd hang on until 2013. I learnt he was very ill in January. His buddy and co-driver Roy Salvadori, is 90, today and also in ill-health, but as per usual for DDP purposes, I've probably chosen the wrong chap.

RIP to a true legend. Top bloke

Guest Guest

I was hoping that he'd hang on until 2013. I learnt he was very ill in January. His buddy and co-driver Roy Salvadori, is 90, today and also in ill-health, but as per usual for DDP purposes, I've probably chosen the wrong chap.

they have been reunited allready ! http://www.motorspor...n_12060302.html

they have been reunited allready ! http://www.motorspor...n_12060302.html

Well, well, my first unique hit since January, but it comes with a heavy heart, a great racer, one of the best to never win a championship Grand Prix.

Then again, if I don't choose people who are ill, when I have inside information, then there's no point being on the DDP