Our Sole

Nelson Mandela

Not many 88 year olds make regular public appearances or could be described as not frail. He actully doesn't look much worse than he did one or two years ago. No major health problems and good medical care, I'd say he'll be around for a while. BTW the link from the front page to this thread is wrong, goes to soemthing about capital punishment.

This guy is 82 and he still runs marathons.

Not many 88 year olds make regular public appearances or could be described as not frail. He actully doesn't look much worse than he did one or two years ago. No major health problems and good medical care, I'd say he'll be around for a while. BTW the link from the front page to this thread is wrong, goes to soemthing about capital punishment.

This guy is 82 and he still runs marathons.

sh*t, I'm going to have to play Riven all over again. Interesting, but off topic. Does it matter? Nah. Maybe this chap could go in ideas and possibilities or maybe he isn't quite famous enough. Still I like a post that has introduced the Myst and Riven games. Passed away many a happy hour playing them. Crap storylines but great puzzles.

I've read both that message and the Los Angeles Times article which it relates to. The former is a bit economical with the truth, the latter speaks about "plans". I'll believe it when I hear Mr Mandela say it.

regards,

Hein

John Keston.....respect.

Aged 26 I could only just get under 3-15 for a marathon and most 30 year old 'fun runners' would be happy with his 80 year old half marathon time.

Plenty of reports out there about how energetic he was on his birthday, but here's one about his meeting with Manchester United.

I heard on the radio yesterday morning that Fidel Castro gave Mandela 88 Cuban cigars and a case of rum for his birthday

I heard on the radio yesterday morning that Fidel Castro gave Mandela 88 Cuban cigars and a case of rum for his birthday

A princely gift. Does Mr Mandela smoke and drink?

regards,

Hein

A princely gift. Does Mr Mandela smoke and drink?

regards,

Hein

I think he drinks, not sure if he smokes though.

Doesn't smoke, steamed a bit in his prison cell mind!

Mandela is in our local news at the minute (on ITV ceefax page 331).

He was due to meet players from Aberdeen Football Club but the engagement had to be post-poned because Mandela was feeling too tired after a recent trip.

You know, there is is such a thing as over doing it...

What better way to check up on his health than to meet him for tea?

Any millionaires out there got a couple hundred thousand to blow on DL?

Tea's a bit old school - Nelson Mandela's been branching out on this side of the pond recently.

Has he been reading Wikipedia?

I wasn't aware that he could read.

(Brilliant site that, by the way Whitehouse. Thankyou!)

Yeah! C&L makes more sense of the news than Fox does. (Well, that was a cheap shop. Anything makes more sense than Fox.

macleans-bush-cover.JPG

But this is a bit off topic. It's the Mandela thread.

It appears that Bush was actually using "Mandela" metaphorically.

But due to Bush's wording reputation, one article says it's a Mandela death gaffe. The article also mentions Mandela as "increasingly frail", which is more related to this thread.

I wonder if Bono will come to his funeral ...

I also wonder if there's any celebrity funeral that Bono would not go to

Robert Mugabe

HAHAHAHA!!!!

"Worldfamous audio hacker" actually mixed this one with "James brown is dead" by LA Style.

Good point YIA. I'm beginning to fear the BIg Irish Fart-Knocker may actually be the Grim Reaper himself. He has an alarming tendency to ingratiate himself into the lives of dying icons (Beefheart, Ramone(s) etc.) just so as he can be asked for the first quote on their passing. I've heard a great story about his self-obsession at a celeb funeral, but that may have to wait for a deathlist chat night.

I wonder if Bono will come to his funeral ...

Now rewinding a few posts ... I think 'Macleans' is like Canada's star magazine and in my eyes it's pretty extreme to call Bush 'The New Saddam' especially since there leader is not what I could call liberal 'Stephen Harper' or who ever the hell he is.

Bush is in Iraq mainly for oil, 9\11 gave him a reason to invade. That is from Bushes view point.

It's certainly not right, no doubt about that but if that happened to Canada 'Stephen Harper' would be doing the same sh*t! He's a f****n hypocrite!

The bottom line : Canada should keep there mouth shut. With there form of government and not exactly being involved with this ordeal I don't think they seriously have any place making radical statements like that.

Queen, U2, Spice Girls, Simple Minds, Annie Lennox and Razorfuckinglight to play at Mandela's 90th birthday gig. If that's not enough to see the old boy in the ground I don't know what is... and they haven't even announced Sting yet.

Get yourself off to the beer tent, Nelson.

And so it turned itno another day and the start of another year as today (July18) Mandela turned 90.

Happpy Birthday Nelson Mandela