Guest Catherine

Billy Graham

Ugh, am I the only one annoyed by this conversation? People shouldn't post on the 2015 Names threads, unless there's an update on someone's health, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Ugh, am I the only one annoyed by this conversation? People shouldn't post on the 2015 Names threads, unless there's an update on someone's health, in my opinion.

I disagree they can always be discussions about the person on the list.
  • Like 1

I came across Billy"s eldest daughters twitter page.She states she has four great grandchildren making Billy a great great grandad.Is that a first for the Deathlist?

I read the article but don't see where Billy has anything against the First Amendment Rocky. Can you elucidate?

This quote implies to me that he doesn't agree with the separation of church and state Pray for our nation, especially as we look forward to elections a year from now. Pray especially that God will raise up leaders who will stand for justice and morality and will seek God’s will in all they do.

The most vocal among the religious lot in the U.S. feel that the 1st amendment which covers freedom of religion means that everyone should choose a religion of some sorts (as long as it's the right one).

They don't understand that it also means freedom from religion and that it's possible to understand what would be immoral based on human rights and not on any religious laws.

In the 10 Commandments, number 6 is "Thou Shalt Not Kill". It doesn't take a genius or religious command for someone to realize that is immoral. But it's ok if "God" is behind the soldiers fighting in any war. Even if both sides are fighting for religious reasons and they even happen to worship the same deity. They just have a different interpretation of the sciptures.

To be honest Phantom, I've never heard anyone in the US say that the 1st amendment means that everyone needs to choose a religion. Maybe you've paid more attention to the religious right than I have. Certainly they all espouse their own doctrines, but that's to be expected. Frankly the amendment was put in because even then we were too diverse religiously to be united under any one faith. We're a lot more diverse now. Regarding what's immoral, I think the basic concept of the Golden Rule which is shared by many faiths is always a good start. It's rational as well as founded in many religious traditions. It's a shame we have not lived up to it.

I read the comments that people leave that follow local news articles whenever ever something happens that has a religious theme to it. There are several people on there that don't hold back with their feelings that if you don't belong to their denomination of whichever religion, then obviously you're in the wrong, even if the end result is that you're worshipping the same deity.

If you ever made a comment that you were an athiest on there, about a dozen people will feel that you need to be saved and attempt to convert you.

One that's constantly up for debate is the pledge of allegience, even though you can happily point out to them that the "One Nation Under God" bit was only added in 1954 and "In God We Trust" wasn't added to the currency until the late 50s early 60s.

A couple of years ago when some stores, public schools etc would put up signs wishing people "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" in order to include all the religious holidays that happen around that time of year, suddenly you started seeing people wearing large badges with "I SUPPORT CHRISTMAS!!" on them.

Different people interpret the 1st Amendment in different ways, the freedom of religion bit for me means you won't be persecuted by the government. But at the same time it means freedom from religion, and I take that to mean, "don't force your religious beliefs on me, as I won't force my beliefs on you".

I think the problem some people have with the "Happy Holidays" phrase is the pressure they feel (by employers, school systems, etc.) to not mention Christmas as if it was something odious. I have no problem with either phrase but I also don't know why non-Christians would feel abused by "Merry Christmas". The 1st amendment give us freedom of expression as well as religion. If people want to mention God in their public discourse, they certainly can. I don't think it's unconstitutional because the people who wrote the constitution mentioned God often. It doesn't constitute an official state religion.

yeah the less said about 'Merica's amendments the better. Its the reason you have fucked up white boys shooting up schools and do nothing about it

but yeah anyway, merry Christmas is fine by me

If you're annoyed by it, don't read it. It's as simple as that.

• Like 1

Billy Graham 'probably' didn't write his last book:

http://religiondispatches.org/billy-graham-is-probably-not-the-author-of-his-own-final-chapter/

Of course, I have said it before - and all his sermons that you find by Google News aren't his either, they're ghostwritten.

Edit: Apparently, he has had hydrocephalus for years... just like the king of Thailand has had. Great, two people on my team with hydrocephalus that just won't die...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvmwpk5e4K0 :Given this interview was four years ago I am hardly surprised.If you go back far enough on his daughter`s Twitter there are pictues of him wearing Oxygen from 3 years ago.https://twitter.com/gigigraham2/media He looks like a man who could brely write his own name let alone a whole book.Where is the quote about hydrocephalus though?

D'ya think they don't want him in Heaven, or summat? I mean, his skills are - like - redundant there, right. He might have immortality bestowed upon him.

• Like 2

I would personally pay the appearance fee for Billy Joel to sing Only the Good Die Young at his funeral. Actually wish I could but unless Billy is giving discounts......

imagine my disappointment at nor being able to visit this exhibition http://abc11.com/society/abc11-gets-a-sneak-peek-at-the-new-billy-graham-exhibit/1069902/However the interesting point is the exhibition runs until July and I'm speculating they wouldn't have it for that long if he was going to die soon.

How BG will spend his 97th birthday: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/religion/article43482522.html

Interesting update on him here.

I think this is another case study of why living to a really old age sucks for the majority of people who reach it.The man has his marbles but can`t use it really due to his failing body.To lose your hearing AND eyesight to the extent that communication is very difficult whilst having your mental faculties must be a living hell .To live nearly a decade without a spouse who you devoted the majority of your life to is pretty sad in itself but when you are confined to your house you can`t take your mind off it.I guess though that Kirk Douglas and Olivia de Havilland show that sometimes you can still be semi active and when approaching a century.I do hope that Billy gets some enjoyment out of his big day though!

• Like 1

How BG will spend his 97th birthday: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/religion/article43482522.html

I think this is another case study of why living to a really old age sucks for the majority of people who reach it.The man has his marbles but can`t use it really due to his failing body.To lose your hearing AND eyesight to the extent that communication is very difficult whilst having your mental faculties must be a living hell .To live nearly a decade without a spouse who you devoted the majority of your life to is pretty sad in itself but when you are confined to your house you can`t take your mind off it.I guess though that Kirk Douglas and Olivia de Havilland show that sometimes you can still be semi active and when approaching a century.I do hope that Billy gets some enjoyment out of his big day though!

Well, he got more joy out of it than we did, eh?

Looks like he might enjoy Christmas at our expense too.

Well, he got more joy out of it than we did, eh?

Looks like he might enjoy Christmas at our expense too.

Maybe Jesus`s Birthday present this year is an overdue meeting with Billy.

Maybe when I see that someone has posted on the Billy Graham thread it won't be pointless drivel.

• Like 1

Maybe when I see that someone has posted on the Billy Graham thread it won't be pointless drivel.

Well I think filling the thread with pointless drivel is fitting when you consider BG`s career and sermons!

• Like 3

Found this old piece on Billy that sums him up nicely:

"The propaganda machine of the Evangelical Christian Right will soon be in counter attack mode. One of its darling preachers is about to take it on the proverbial chin. The Rev. Billy Graham, who has created a multimillion dollar media empire, that a Rupert Murdock would envy, is the subject of a shocking expose’ due out on Nov. 15, 2007. It’s entitled, "The Prince of War: Billy Graham’s Crusade for a Wholly Christian Empire." The author is Cecil Bothwell. He hails from Asheville, North Carolina and is an award winning investigative reporter. Bothwell’s unflattering portrait of Rev. Graham shows him as a wily warmonger and a lackey for the Establishment. He describes Rev. Graham as a public figure who: "Undermined the Founders’ skeptical Deism and sought to rebrand the U.S. as a Christian nation, [and] its armies [as] the rightful instruments of [a] Christian crusade and empire."

Bothwell documents that there wasn’t a war the U.S. was involved in that Rev. Graham couldn’t bless. In fact, he reveals that during the horrific Vietnam conflict, (1959-75), he had urged the then-President, Richard M. Nixon, to bomb North Vietnam! In a 13-page letter, that Rev. Graham had forwarded to the White House in April, 1969, it was stated: "There are tens of thousands of North Vietnamese defectors to bomb and invade the North. Why should all the fighting be in the South?…Especially let them bomb the dikes which could over night destroy the economy of North Vietnam." Mr. Bothwell underscored that such a military action against the dikes, a huge complex of earthworks, would probably "kill a million people and wipe out an already poor nation’s agricultural system" He added that the advice in Graham’s transmittal "fell on receptive ears. Not longer after, Nixon moved the air war north and west."

There is more. After the deadly Kent State U. affair, (May 4, 1970), where four students, who were protesting the Nixon-Henry Kissinger-inspired bombing of Cambodia, were killed by Ohio’s National Guard troops, Rev. Graham invited the mostly unbalanced Nixon to address his crusade. It was held in Knoxville, TN. While parents of the students were still grieving and burying their dead, Rev. Graham shamelessly shilled: "All Americans may not agree with the decision a president makes–but he is our president…"

Also, every chance Rev. Graham got he ripped into antiwar protesters in this country, while the Vietnam inferno was raging. After a large pro peace demonstration in late 1969, he railed in a letter to then President Lyndon B. Johnson, that the protesters were "radicals and those seeking to overthrow the American way of life." When the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke out, in 1967 against the war in a sermon at the Riverside Church in NYC, Rev. Graham, jumped right in and tagged his criticism as "an affront to the thousands of loyal Negro troops who are in Vietnam." When Dr. King marched for Civil Rights in Selma, Alabama, Rev. Graham was no where to be found. And, after Dr. King was gunned down in Memphis, TN, he couldn’t be bothered to attend his funeral either.

Rev. Graham made a career out of sucking up to U.S. presidents. Mr. Bothwell wrote how he loved those "endless photo-ops" at the White House, and how he was always, "so eager to shake the hands of…despots, movie stars and industrial kingpins, and to offer grandiose approval of their greatness. Obsequy, more than money, seemed to drive the man–though his pockets were never empty." Fortunately, not all the presidents bought into Rev. Graham’s bogus act. One of my favorites, President Harry S. Truman, who was born in Lamar, MO, knew a wide variety of people from political bosses to political hacks. He had a built in b… s… detector. This is what President Truman had to say about the war-loving, camera-mugging preacher: "Graham has gone off the beam. He’s…well, I hadn’t ought to say this, but he’s one of those ‘counterfeits’ I was telling you about. He claims he’s a friend of all the presidents, but he was never a friend of mine when I was president. I just don’t go for people like that. All he’s interested in is getting his name in the paper...[snip]"

Full article here: http://www.counterpunch.org/2007/09/27/a-prince-of-war-exposed/

I wouldn't mind reading that book the investigative journalist wrote on him.

• Like 1

Health has declined "quite a bit":

http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2015/12/billy-grahams-health-worsens-grandson-asks-for-prayers/

"He is close to going home with the Lord"...

ladies and gentlemen... this is the record... (the article goes on in a less dramatic fashion, but I have a feeling...)

http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2015/12/billy-grahams-health-worsens-grandson-asks-for-prayers/

ladies and gentlemen... this is the record... (the article goes on in a less dramatic fashion, but I have a feeling...)

Nigerian News is your source for that? Lmao

(Edit: ok I had my doubts as it sounded fahkin familiar; that article is from 2013 mate. Follow the link it is citing. That's the grandson saying that quote it's old hat.

SC)

• Like 1

Nigerian News is your source for that? Lmao

(Edit: ok I had my doubts as it sounded fahkin familiar; that article is from 2013 mate. Follow the link it is citing. That's the grandson saying that quote it's old hat.

SC)

Oh, you're right! Ah well, the secondary sources sounded good. But now it's understandable why the article is so multi-faceted in tone. It's cobbled together from many things. Ah well, my feeling has retreated.

Nobody gives any love to Mr. Graham anymore. Oh well

A 9 foot statue of a mental midget wouldn't make much sense.

• Like 5

Grrr

Grrr

I'm finding plenty of news about Billy graham in the hospital... Only it's the wrestler instead of the reverend

• Like 1