DevonDeathTrip

Coleman Falls?

Ooh, that's a shame. I always liked Bill Threlfall.

As for sport commentators, has Andi Peters ever done any work in that line? If so, I'll pick him. If he hasn't I'll still choose him because he's a tosser.

Seriously though, John Barrett must be getting on a bit. However, I suppose the real serious contenders for the great commentary box in the sky are Peter O'Sullevan and Murray Walker.

• Like 1

A recent(ish) article about Bill McLaren:

"McLaren's many admirers from all corners of the world will be sad to hear that he has not been doing so well of late. The ravages of old age have taken their toll. Word of his deteriorating health has increased concern within Scottish rugby circles." :(

"McLaren's many admirers from all corners of the world will be sad to hear that he has not been doing so well of late. The ravages of old age have taken their toll. Word of his deteriorating health has increased concern within Scottish rugby circles." :(

I'd be sad to see him go, I immediately associate him with getting up in the middle of the night to watch the All Blacks trounce Scotland at Murrayfield. Great voice, great commentator and (I'm told) a very nice man indeed.

"McLaren's many admirers from all corners of the world will be sad to hear that he has not been doing so well of late. The ravages of old age have taken their toll. Word of his deteriorating health has increased concern within Scottish rugby circles." ;)

I'd be sad to see him go, I immediately associate him with getting up in the middle of the night to watch the All Blacks trounce Scotland at Murrayfield. Great voice, great commentator and (I'm told) a very nice man indeed.

Sad news. Unlike a lot of other commentators, McLaren was alwyas even handed with all nations. As an Englishman, I never felt he was biased against us when we played the Jocks. Can't say the same about many of the current crop.

Here's a brilliant video of David Coleman in action from the 1962 World Cup match between Italy and Chile, which became known as The Battle of Santiago. Possibly one of the most violent football matches on film ;)

Let's not forget Gerald Sinstadt. Still does reports from around the various grounds around the country, and seems pretty chipper, considering he turned 77 last month.

Have just looked back through the thread. Good stuff. Whatever happened to Pulphack? An excellent contributor.

The very best commentators have voices that become part of one's memory of the event. Coleman was a great example. Carpenter, Benaud and Dan Maskell were others.

Watching the cricket today, I am struck by how few of those guys are irritating. They are knowledgeable and can talk with intelligence and wit. The new generation have Mark Nicholas, Gower, Atherton, Hussain, Jimmy Adams, Michael Slater.......... even Bob Willis. Granted they have more time and there is a convention that they keep quiet once the bowler starts his run.

I can only remember one cricket commentator who pissed me off - the Xenophobe cretin Bill Lawry....... though Botham, as the man never to resist a cliche, is beginning to grate. 'Buffet bowling ............ help yourself'. Ian -you are the only person who would have needed it explaining to them so don't bother with the 'help yourself'.....

"McLaren's many admirers from all corners of the world will be sad to hear that he has not been doing so well of late. The ravages of old age have taken their toll. Word of his deteriorating health has increased concern within Scottish rugby circles." :rip:

Looks alright here, mind. Bizarrely, this interview is around the same time as the other one.

David Vine has died of a heart attack aged 73.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/a...5Mp2CuEq_g5m7tg

A good break-off for the DDP snooker team. I'd be happy to see their sour-faced joker join Vine, but I fear that Whispering Ted Lowe's their most realistic future chance. And Alex Higgins, of course.

Given the recent demise of Reg Gutteridge, is there any news of the health of that other boxing commentator, Harry Carpenter?

Given the recent demise of Reg Gutteridge, is there any news of the health of that other boxing commentator, Harry Carpenter?

Well, Reg's funeral may well bring out an entire generation of fight people, and generate some publicity including ITN coverage. I feel some form studying coming on. I notice Colin Hart is still writing so mebbe my tip in that direction was a little premature.

Sad news - Harry Carpenter's just gone.

Unique DDP hit for "The Funeral Director 10"

Guest Swamp Thing

Harry Carpenter dead at 84

I wonder will this tip that loon Frank Bruno over the edge now that his long term partner is out for the count?

Interestingly as well, Carpenter was the same age when he died, 84, as Reg Gutteridge, who died last January.

I wonder will this tip that loon Frank Bruno over the edge now that his long term partner is out for the count?

Interestingly as well, Carpenter was the same age when he died, 84, as Reg Gutteridge, who died last January.

John Rawling's alright for a while then...

Edited by Magere Hein
All Harry Carpenter posts moved here.

During the closing credits of tonight's 'Newsnight' on BBC2, they showed a clip of Harry Carpenter talking about the job of a sports commentator. Specifically, he urged newcomers to the trade only to give the viewer/listener insight which they may not have themselves, and not to feel embarrassed for getting paid to be silent at times when the viewer can plainly see/hear what is going on.

The current crop of British sports commentators, especially Jonathan Legard, the fool who does the F1 commentary for BBC (not Brundle, he knows what he's talking about mostly) should take a leaf out of 'arry's book and STFU when we can see for ourselves what is happening. Let's call this form of verbal diarrhoea "comment-whoring", for argument's sake.

Jonathan Legard, you are a comment-whore and I'd like to see your obit linked in this thread asap.

Harry, RIP.

Hmmmmm

It emerged today he suffered an acute heart attack just before falling

An interesting dilemma, does DDP have a policy on complex causes of death? I'm all for giving the benefit of the doubt, and the points, to the team.

Hmmmmm

It emerged today he suffered an acute heart attack just before falling

An interesting dilemma, does DDP have a policy on complex causes of death? I'm all for giving the benefit of the doubt, and the points, to the team.

From what I read, it was a mild heart attack followed by a fall down the stairs, similar to Robert Culp's death, so I'm awarding the points on that basis, plus

the fact that the coroner's verdict was accidental death.

I was going to consider the 'inevitable fall' as a bonus but since unnatural causes is worth 3 points anyway, I might as well subsume that cause into the bonus.

Britain's second most famous darts commentator Tony Green, perhaps better known for his appearances on Bullseye, is suffering from cancer of the tongue.

• Like 1