maryportfuncity

Missing In Action

There's a load of people whose whereabouts remain unknown, but may be worth a punt and points if selected on a deadpool. A few obvious - Lucan, Bin Laden etc - get mentioned. But if we pool our collective brains we might hit on a few more.

Like Bambi Woods age, whereabouts, real name uncertain. I'd say alive and willing the world to leave her alone, but you never know.

C'mon guys, who else is missing in action?

• Like 1

I think Bambi Woods is probably still alive and living under an assumed name somewhere.

I was reading about Raoul Wallenberg recently, it's highly unlikely that he is still alive but it's an interesting story and not one that is mentioned often in missing person lists.

Richey Edwards of the Manic Street Preachers...went missing in February 1995.... :)

The folk singer, Shelagh McDonald, vanished in the early 1970s.

There's a load of people whose whereabouts remain unknown, but may be worth a punt and points if selected on a deadpool. A few obvious - Lucan, Bin Laden etc - get mentioned. But if we pool our collective brains we might hit on a few more.

Like Bambi Woods age, whereabouts, real name uncertain. I'd say alive and willing the world to leave her alone, but you never know.

C'mon guys, who else is missing in action?

I think Woods is still around, I'll even get suckered in and by the 2007 interview.

The easy MIA targets for this thread would be Afghan Mullah Omar or Tohir Yo'Idosh. Since pictures were rarely taken of these people, it's easy for them to vanish. Since they're in the middle of a country at war, it's probably equally as easy for them to die without anyone finding out right away.

Guest Miss Inginaction

bigfootfl5.jpg

On the lam since 1811, last seen December 14th, 2006; could Bigfoot still be at large?

Jimmy Hoffa - missing since 1976

Harold Holt Aussie PM. Went surfing, never came back. Most probably mercilessly hunted down by a pack of savage cyborg-enhanced Stingrays, or huge mutant killer walrusses or something.

Patrick McDermott Olivia Neutron Bomb's ex. Went fishing, never came back. Most probably attacked by a bloodlusted narwhal, or entangled in a torturous Portugese-Man-o-War web of death or something.

But not Kimberly Du, who failed to fake her own death properly by getting a parking ticket after she was supposed to be brown bread. She's up for 5 years gaol instead of a $500 fine and probably wishing she was dead.

can I nominate Magere Hein?

The folk singer, Shelagh McDonald, vanished in the early 1970s.

Discussed on a semi-regular basis on Six Music's Freak Zone where it's generally assumed she's alive.

Speaking of folkies Judee Sill is probably dead but there's no trustable record of the death. The biogs assume this on the basis that she'd gone back to full-blown smackhead status when last in circulation of any kind. The sources of the date of death in the Wiki entry are articles rather than a death certificate. Probably about right, mind.

and former Incredible String Band'er Licorice McKechnie appears to have gone to ground completely 17 years ago. Less a druggie and - s'cuse the confectionary related pun - basically a flake.

Oddly, if the death of anyone in this post were suddenly announced I reckon some of the woolier broadsheets would run a story, if only because some of their readers will have the CDs.

Robert Nairac,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Nairac

Officially dead but no body was found.

A number of theories exist as to what became of him.

1. Shot by the IRA, ground up and fed to pigs.

2. Killed by the british as he had become a rogue agent, made look like the IRA did it.

3. Was an IRA double agent who faked his own death to escape MI6 who were on to him.

I would love to know what did happen, but then again it may not be good for my health! B)

S'funny mind, within 24 hours of me starting this thread.....Tempus came back and posted!

Wiki page of a few famous missing persons, from Jesus to a certain kid in the Algarve lateley.

Robert Nairac,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Nairac

Officially dead but no body was found.

A number of theories exist as to what became of him.

1. Shot by the IRA, ground up and fed to pigs.

2. Killed by the british as he had become a rogue agent, made look like the IRA did it.

3. Was an IRA double agent who faked his own death to escape MI6 who were on to him.

I would love to know what did happen, but then again it may not be good for my health! B)

Yes I know about this fella. I thought he was killed when a British Army pistol accidentally dropped out of his pocket when he was in an Irish bar....or something like that.

Wasn't he wrapped up in the 'Plot to make Mountbatten PM' involving Thatcher's aide Ariey Neave?

Hmmm...mysterious!

Whilst we're talking IRA linked disappearance, let's not forget Shergar.

He's dead, obviously.

Maryport now has its own missing person. She's alive, I presume. He won't be, mind, if he shows his face in Maryport.

Robert Millar, one of Scotland's finest ever athletes and the only British competitor ever to win the King Of The Mountains title in the Tour De France, vanished several years ago.

Good spot DDT. His wiki page is a bit understated saying he 'seems' to have disappeared. Then again, there's a book this month on the subject. Interesting. Any idea what might have motivated the vanishing?

Found this suggesting he's responding to e-mails now and then. Mebbe, if he's some kind of internet addicted recluse he's - like - one of us these days!

Lord Lucan and Madeleine McCann spring to mind.

Perhaps in close proximity.

D.B. Cooper, should've remembered this one earlier but a Sky documentary on the case rejigged my memory tonight. Missing presumed alive by those who reckon Ted Mayfield is the man.

D.B. Cooper, should've remembered this one earlier but a Sky documentary on the case rejigged my memory tonight. Missing presumed alive by those who reckon Ted Mayfield is the man.

Alcatraz inmates Frank Morris, John and Clarence Anglin. Did they escape or did they drown?

• Like 1