Death Watch Beatle

The Dead Of 2008

I've only just found out about the death of the Dutch-American author Janwillem van de Wetering on July 4 at the age of 77.

Maybe not a household name, but he managed to combine his own experiences as an Amsterdam cop with his Buddhism in an enjoyable set of police procedurals, as well as writing various childrens' books and non-fiction.

The racehorse trainer Monica Dickinson has died at the age of 83. Even I'd heard of her and I hate horse racing for ruining my Saturday afternoons as a child.

I remember seeing her on the telly after Wayward Lad would win. I didn't realise Dickinson was that old.

Very tragic news to report...

A baby panda which was adopted by zookeeper's cat ... has died.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080718/ap_on_...at_adopts_panda

This made the front page in today's Yahoo! headlines.

Must be a really slow time for celebrity deaths. Guess it's granted b/c we lost a whole bunch of celebrities from late May to June so things were bound to slow down a bit...

Former Rangers keeper George Niven has died aged 79.

"Jason", one of the five British hostages held in Iraq since May 2007, is reported to have committed suicide.

[sorry - wrong thread]

Sorry DDT (I think) My mod powers slipped and I accidentally merged this one in the wrong place. This one is your call

"Jason", one of the five British hostages held in Iraq since May 2007, is reported to have committed suicide.

[sorry - wrong thread]

Sorry DDT (I think) My mod powers slipped and I accidentally merged this one in the wrong place. This one is your call

Here will do just fine HCW.

Another death - Sarah Conlon, whose husband and son, Guiseppe and Gerry Conlon, were wrongly jailed for the Guildford pub bombings, has died of cancer aged 82. Her husband died in prison and her son was released after 16 years. She led a high profile campaign to overturn their convictions.

New York (not to be confused with The New Yorker) magazine Clay Felker, dead at age 82.

I wonder if they'll be putting him in a Clay pit

A titan in the world of publishing. Never heard of him.

This dude died three weeks ago!

Ugh, I think death is losing his/her touch here. Been checking the obituaries and we're having a major dry spell in terms of famous people dying. C'mon Castro, Winehouse, somebody famous! It's getting boring around here. Reading and watching the election coverage is boring me to death.

it's gotten to the point that obituaries are now covering deaths of ANIMALS.

I guess death is tired b/c a lot of famous people did die from late May to June.

Joe Miceli 110 bouts as a professional boxer, including battles against some tough opponents and he still made it to 79 before lung cancer did for him.

Randy Pausch, computer science professor whose "Last Lecture" speech made him famous, has succumb to pancreatic cancer.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08207/899511-100.stm

And so goes the posterboy for someone who is famous for being sick.

Question is, will he get a pukka obit?

BBC obit for Randy Pausch

Congrats to all the DDP teams that selected him

BBC obit for Randy Pausch

Congrats to all the DDP teams that selected him

Good thing I got Getty then! That should shake things up a tad...

Another Lord, this one former Labour cabinet member Eric Varley, has died aged 75.

Tony award winner Luther Davis, who co-authored the book "Kismet" on which the award-winning musical of the same name was based has died aged 91. He also did the screenplay for the 1953 film "A Lion is in the Streets", which starred James Cagney.