Davey Jones' Locker

Foreign Personalities, From Stage, Screen, Politics And Life

More low-hanging fruit ripe for the picking:

Annalisa Ericson, born 1913, prolific Swedish actress:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annalisa_Ericson

Isuzu Yamadam Japanese actress born in 1917 has survived a World War and dodged earthquakes, tsunamis and whatnot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Yamada

Pola Illery is/was an early Romanian actress. No one knows if she is still alive or not. If she is, she's 102:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pola_Ill%C3%A9ry

Also, Gina Lollobrigida is fairly long in the tooth now, having been born in 1927.

• Like 1

He mostly appeared in Hollywood, as opposed to foreign language films, but Maximillian Schell is fairly old now, having been born in 1930:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_Schell

He will, of course, be forever remembered as mad-as-a-hatter scientist Dr Hans Reinhardt in the Black Hole. (Apparently he also did dozens of serious films and won a Best Actor Academy Award or somethng,.. :burnash: )

Jacques Rivette is getting on in years, though I think he's still in quite good health.

Aleksey Batalov (born 1928) is the only living male cast member of "Moscow Doesn't Believe in Tears" despite being the oldest.

Dunno whether he's come up in other threads but Gerard Depardieu doesn't appear to be in the rudest of health these days...

Sticking with Gallic thesps, Michael Lonsdale (b. 1931) perhaps best known internationally for playing the James Bond villain Hugo Drax in Moonraker, is one to keep an eye on. Still active in film mind, even managed to attend Cannes last year.

May be stretching things somewhat as he is primarily a singer (though he has acted in many films), but French rock God Johnny Hallyday (b. 1943) doesn't seem to be a very well man, was treated for colon cancer in 2009 and that same year suffered complications during surgery for a herniated disc, and at one point had to be placed into a medically-induced coma...

Yes, I remember the fuss about Hallyday. I recall he appeared as a boxer in Godard's Detective (which I can take or leave) but I didn't know he had acted in anything else.

Depardieu has always been flabby, which doesn't make for a long life...

Hallyday had a starring role in L'Homme Du Train a few years ago, and fairly recent played the lead in a Hong Kong action movie called Vengeance, a quirky bit of casting to say the least. Haven't seen either of them, has anybody else?

Depardieu's rather more than flabby these days, if he were to play Obelix again he wouldn't even need a fat suit.

Finnish-born George Gaynes (b. 1917) is another one worth a mention, probably best known for playing the senile Commandant in the Police Academy movies, though admittedly has played English language roles most of his life

• Angry 1

May be stretching things somewhat as he is primarily a singer (though he has acted in many films), but French rock God Johnny Hallyday (b. 1943) doesn't seem to be a very well man, was treated for colon cancer in 2009 and that same year suffered complications during surgery for a herniated disc, and at one point had to be placed into a medically-induced coma...

He's touring again next year so I presume feels in fine health at the moment following his scare the other year.

As for youngish deaths that caused ripples, how about Marie Trintignant?

Dunno whether he's come up in other threads but Gerard Depardieu doesn't appear to be in the rudest of health these days...

Sticking with Gallic thesps, Michael Lonsdale (b. 1931) perhaps best known internationally for playing the James Bond villain Hugo Drax in Moonraker, is one to keep an eye on. Still active in film mind, even managed to attend Cannes last year.

Yes, I remember the fuss about Hallyday. I recall he appeared as a boxer in Godard's Detective (which I can take or leave) but I didn't know he had acted in anything else.

Depardieu has always been flabby, which doesn't make for a long life...

Hallyday had a starring role in L'Homme Du Train a few years ago, and fairly recent played the lead in a Hong Kong action movie called Vengeance, a quirky bit of casting to say the least. Haven't seen either of them, has anybody else?

Depardieu's rather more than flabby these days, if he were to play Obelix again he wouldn't even need a fat suit.

:burnash::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks, Mrs Tits. I had forgotten about her.

Just occured to me that there a quite a few French natives worth keeping in mind for future Deathlists, apologies as some of these may have popped up in previous threads but nontheless, thought they were worthy of their own thread. For starters -

Jacques Chirac (b. 1932) currently trying to fend off prosecution for various alleged misdeeds while in office, perhaps the strain and stress will soon get to him?

Jean Marie Le Pen (b. 1928) recently stepped down as President of the NF, natural causes or assassination remain a distinct possibility.

Michael Lonsdale (b. 1931) internationally renowned actor, mind you could be around still for some time, had a leading role in the acclaimed Of Gods and Men last year and was at Cannes promoting it

Gerard Depardieu (b. 1948) never been an advocate of healthy living...

Sylvia Kristel (b. 1953) plagued by drink and drug problems and been treated for lung cancer in the past.

Albert Uderzo (b. 1927), co-creator of Asterix, currently embroiled in a bitter legal dispute with his daughter, tends not to do wonders for old people's health.

Also Jean Luc Godard (b. 1930), Agnes Varda (b. 1928), Jacques Rivette (b. 1928) & Alan Resnais (b. 1922) surviving figures of the Nouvelle Vague & Left Bank movements.

Just scratching the surface here really, must be plenty of others who's passing would merit a mention in the British press?

Just scratching the surface here really, must be plenty of others who's passing would merit a mention in the British press?

Obit-worthy French of considerable age:

• Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, *2 February 1926, former President of the French Republic.
  • Simone Veil, *13 July 1927, President of the European Parliament (1979–1982) and member of the French Academy.
  • Jean Giraud, *8 May 1938, comics artist.
  • Michel Fugain, * 12 May 1942, singer and composer.

regards,

Hein

Sylvia Kristel is Dutch

I stand corrected. Still a worthy candidate in her own right

Also forgot to mention rocker Johnny Hallyday (b. 1943) treated for colon cancer in 2009, also suffered complications during surgery on a herniated disc...

A bit similar to this thread - perhaps they should be amalgamated into one 'foreign/European entertainers?

Anyway, someone that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Juliette Gréco. Born 1927. Still active but getting on a bit now, and she's not one of the regulars on 'Vivement Dimanche' so I can't comment on her health.

Boring fact: I saw Michel Fugain at a Véronique Sanson concert at the Olympia in 2005. He looked in fine fettle then and, six years on, is still very fit so I can't see him going anywhere soon.

One to keep an eye on is Renaud. Serious alcohol problems in the past, and various relapses since sobering up in the early 00s. Has taken quite a toll on him (and his voice) and last time I saw him he looked somewhat shambolic.

Thanks, Mrs Tits. I had forgotten about her.

Another fairly famous one I had forgotten about was Solveig Dommartin (Wings of Desire) who died suddenly at only 45 a few years ago..

A bit similar to this thread - perhaps they should be amalgamated into one 'foreign/European entertainers?

I suppose one could argue that Chirac and Le Pen were 'entertainers' of a sort

Edited by Lady Grendel
Indeed, so I have merged and edited the title .

Mylene Demongeot

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0218634/bio

She is 75 now and looks fairly healthy but she could be someone to look out for down the line.

She was a sex symbol in France in the 50s and 60s. But steadily worked in Hollywood film at that time and has been Bafta Nominated. She had a bit of a comeback in the last decade and was Cesar Nominated.

Mylene Demongeot

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0218634/bio

She is 75 now and looks fairly healthy but she could be someone to look out for down the line.

She was a sex symbol in France in the 50s and 60s. But steadily worked in Hollywood film at that time and has been Bafta Nominated. She had a bit of a comeback in the last decade and was Cesar Nominated.

Interesting! I'd never heard of her, so thanks.

There are a lot of foreign actresses around the 70-75 year mark who became famous in the English-speaking world. That must have been the period they all started emerging on the international stage. I hadn't listed them here before because they were too young but some of the big names to keep an eye on over the next few years are Ursula Andress, Sophia Loren, Liv Ullman, Claudia Cardinale and Ann-Margret.

Howabout Sophia Loren?

Guest Guest
Howabout Sophia Loren?

I cant believe that only one person out of your list of 150 has died this year.Thats bad luck!

I suppose one could argue that Chirac and Le Pen were 'entertainers' of a sort

Well, now that the two topics have been merged, this thread could become an all-encompassing monster, but we will see how we go. :o For my own part, I will just stick to the foreign film actresses since that is my area of interest.

I was just reading about Françoise Dorléac, Catherine Deneuve's sister, who died tragically young after crashing her car while racing to catch a flight back in 1967. I guess she would have been another of the infamous/shocking deaths, as she was already quite well known in her home country at the time of her passing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7oise_Dorl%C3%A9ac

Another was uber-babe Jennifer Nitsch (the "German Sharon Stone") who committed suicide back in 2004, aged 37:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/tra...YguqMxzsRvW7tFQ

Really? I think it's time your 'bad luck'ran out. Either join or f*ck off. I am sick of seeing your posts as a guest. Guest posts are there for a reason - one off occasional posts, sometimes they are members, sometimes not, but you post every day and night as a guest. I For one am fed up with you. It's not hard to register.

Really? I think it's time your 'bad luck'ran out. Either join or f*ck off. I am sick of seeing your posts as a guest. Guest posts are there for a reason - one off occasional posts, sometimes they are members, sometimes not, but you post every day and night as a guest. I For one am fed up with you. It's not hard to register.

It's free too so there's no excuse.

It's free too so there's no excuse.

Register now. (unless your name is Iain.)

Given the guest was on the last page, for a second there I was wondering what Davey Jones had done to get all the hate! :o

• Like 1