themaninblack

Hooroo, Mate.

Things not looking too good for Jon Stevens (Noiseworks/INXS). Apparently, complications have set in after emergency heart surgery. Full story here.

• Like 1

Guest Australian
G'Day everyone.

Australian war hero Edward Kenna VC died last night aged 90.

Lest we forget.

People who fight in wars are NEVER heroes.

One of the truly great Australians, Margaret Holmes, died last month, aged 100. Her fame has increased greatly in recent times, due to the biography published a few years ago and her recognition in State Parliament. Here is the Sydney Morning Herald obituary for the great peace activist:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/obituaries/...91002-ggg6.html

In your mind, perhaps.

To me, people who start and/or orchestrate wars are never heroes.

People who fight in them who display courage and/or perform bravely over-and-above the call of duty are, by definition, heroes.

Unless, of course, I completely misunderstand the definition of the word.

In your mind, perhaps.

To me, people who start and/or orchestrate wars are never heroes.

People who fight in them who display courage and/or perform bravely over-and-above the call of duty are, by definition, heroes.

Unless, of course, I completely misunderstand the definition of the word.

portada_de_heroes_de_david_bowie.jpg

All together now.."We will be Heroes, just for one day..."

Then there is this woman...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/05/2535192.htm

Even if she has the world record, she can't go on forever. One day there will be a power blackout...

Looks like she exhaled her last breath.

Edited by Magere Hein
Quotefix -- MH

Clen Denning (98) died on the 9th - he was last surviving member of the Fitzroy football club's 1944 premiership team. Somewhere on this site is mentioned the passing of another of the team members earlier this year, but I can't find it.

Clen Denning (98) died on the 9th - he was last surviving member of the Fitzroy football club's 1944 premiership team. Somewhere on this site is mentioned the passing of another of the team members earlier this year, but I can't find it.

Here you go.

Actress Monica Maughan has died. She's best known in the UK for playing the nice-but-dull inmate Pat O'Connell in Prisoner Cell Block H.

Aussie elite mountain biker and former world solo 24-hour champion James Williamson died while competing in South Africa.

Well, not really, he died in his sleep apparently.

Adriana Xenides, Wheel of Fortune's letter turning skirt dies on the table.

Strewth! There's an unholy courtroom squabble going on over the Australian national anthem.

Yes clearly we have nothing better to do down here. :banghead:My prediction is that the Kookaburra will have the last laugh, as per usual.

For anyone wanting to compare the two songs here is the classic

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree.

You were correct. More chundering and less plundering would have served Greg Ham and his pals better.

I would have thought Sir Charles Mackerras worthy of a mention, very much an Aussie despite having been born in New York. Still very active at the ripe old age of 83 - maybe he should start taking it easy!

Macka is "absolutely delighted" to be appreciated by Auntie.

Dead

Thanks for all the wonderful music, mate!

Does anybody know if Kitty Bluett is still alive? There's no date of death for her but there are two years of birth (1922 and1916).

Alf Howard dead at 104. The last surviving member of Mawson's Antarctic expedition of 1929-1931. Died early July but just discovered. Would have picked for DDP but doubted he'd get an obit in UK.

Alf Howard dead at 104. The last surviving member of Mawson's Antarctic expedition of 1929-1931. Died early July but just discovered. Would have picked for DDP but doubted he'd get an obit in UK.

Already reported here. Sorry, I realise it was a bit tucked away in that thread!

Malcolm Douglas famed outback adventurer and the ORIGINAL croc hunter may have been killed in a car crash today.

Due to the remoteness of the crash location there may be glimmer of hope he survived.

Australian glam rocker William Shakespeare has died of a heart attack aged 61. His career never really got going again after he was convicted of underage sex in 1975. He went on to suffer mental health and alcoholism problems before ending up homeless.

Hyperion to a Satyr. Or summat.

Apart from already battling with MS, Divinyls singer Chrissy Amphlett has now been diagnosed with breast cancer. In fairness, she looked in fine fettle the other week on "Spicks And Specks", but a combination of the two diseases isn't the best recipe for life.

(Edited to correct info and not look such a twit. Thanks Honez).

Apart from already battling with breast cancer, Divinyls singer Chrissy Amphlett has now been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Uhm... one in each then?

• Like 1