Going Underground

Ice Hockey Players

Pretty risky name for 2017. He only played 37 NHL games,as the rest of his career was spent in various minor leagues. On the basis of his hockey career probably has a 1% chance of getting an Orbit outside of North America,but him having a small acting role in the 2004 film Miracle may be enough for a Daily Mail mention.

I think that to get an orbit you must, of necessity, get outside North America.

• Like 1

Bill Dineen, the hockey icon who played with and later coached Gordie Howe, has died. He was 84. Dineen, born in Arvida, Quebec, played 324 games in the National Hockey League with the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks, winning two Stanley Cup championships in Detroit alongside Gordie Howe.

SC

http://rincon-sports.com/2016/12/10/bill-dineen-former-hockey-player-and-coach-dies-at-84-dec-10-2016/

Oldest member of the hall of fame, Elmer Lach, has died of a stroke at 97.

Milt Schmidt now becomes the oldest living hall of fame member.

Video showing a
, meeting with the bruins pre-winter classic, led me to look into Schmidt's health. Apparently, he was in quarantine at his nursing home last year after a bout with illness. Other than that, not much, but I hope he has enough fight to keep him around a while yet.
Second on that list to Schmidt was Boston Bruin Eddie Barry, who according to Wiki died Feb 12. I find nothing on Google so take it at face value.

SC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Barry_(ice_hockey)

Edit: from what I can tell, Chick Webster moves into the #2 slot now. Jim Conacher #3 Leo Reise Jr #4.

Report here that Milt Schmidt has died: https://twitter.com/ShawnHutcheon/status/816741228129742848

Nothing up on the Bruins website afaik.

What we covering this minority sport for, can we not merge it with other minority sport threads like rugby league darts and netball?

Just covering this as we would for say, minority leaders of minor countries.

Just covering this as we would for say, minority leaders of minor countries.

What you suggesting? Zimbabwe is not minority nation, Scotland and Wales are though. Who was that daft cow that put Wales in room 101 years back? i was thinking yeh, that is because they minority pointless nation, nobody put zimbo in room 101 do they?

Oldest member of the hall of fame, Elmer Lach, has died of a stroke at 97.

Milt Schmidt now becomes the oldest living hall of fame member.

Video showing a
, meeting with the bruins pre-winter classic, led me to look into Schmidt's health. Apparently, he was in quarantine at his nursing home last year after a bout with illness. Other than that, not much, but I hope he has enough fight to keep him around a while yet.
Second on that list to Schmidt was Boston Bruin Eddie Barry, who according to Wiki died Feb 12. I find nothing on Google so take it at face value.

SC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Barry_(ice_hockey)

Edit: from what I can tell, Chick Webster moves into the #2 slot now. Jim Conacher #3 Leo Reise Jr #4.

Report here that Milt Schmidt has died: https://twitter.com/ShawnHutcheon/status/816741228129742848

Nothing up on the Bruins website afaik.

Interesting. Think he may have been the last NHL player born in the 1910s. Do we have any idea who the oldest is now?

• Like 1

Chick Webster (b. November 1920) appears to be still alive. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_Webster

He was early last year when I looked at oldest living hockey players. Hadn't seen the name since.

SC

Edit: posted something in an incredibly wrong thread...

Jeff Sauer, coach of the Wisconsin Badgers, assistant coach to the US National Team (1985, 1992), and coach of the US Paralympic Sled Hockey Team (2010 - Gold, 2014 - Gold), has died aged 73.

The 4th all-time leading scorer in World Championships Vladimir Petrov dies at 69 of cancer.

https://lenta.ru/news/2017/02/28/vladimirpetrov/

Update today on Sasha Lakovic's gofundme page. Sounds horrible, but doesn't look as bad as it sounds. He'll have another round of chemo in April.

It's a spreading glioblastoma. They can slow it, but...

One of these days I'm going to learn how to spell glioblastoma properly without looking it up.

Ilkka Sinisalo, a smooth-skating forward who was part of some of the Flyers' top offensive teams in the 1980s, died peacefully with his family by his side in Finland on Wednesday morning, the team announced.  Mr. Sinisalo, 58, battled prostate cancer for several years.

Buffalo Sabres forward Kyle Okposo has been hospitalized and is in intensive care after an “illness” sidelined the 28-year-old for the final few games of the season.

Okposo has been ill since March 28, but rumblings early on Wednesday signaled there was something more than generic sickness.

The forward is currently in the Neuro Surgical ICU at Buffalo General Hospital,the medical ward that deals with neurological injuries such as strokes, concussions, trauma, and tumors.

SC

Ex-NHL player Dave Gove -- a member of the Carolina Hurricanes 2006 Stanley Cup team -- died this week and officials believe a heroin overdose is to blame.

Gove struggled with addiction and had entered a rehab facility in Pittsburgh. He was reportedly found dead at the treatment center on Wednesday with bags of heroin near his body.

While Gove wasn't a star on the Hurricanes, he did get a Stanley Cup ring -- which he eventually auctioned off in 2015 (for a fix, no doubt).

He was 38.
SC

Bill Sutherland, a Canadian ice hockey player for the Montreal Canadiens (1962-1963), Philadelphia Flyers (1967-1968, 1970-1971), Toronto Maple Leafs (1968-1969), St. Louis Blues (1971) and the Detroit Red Wings (1972), has died aged 82. He scored the Philadelphia Flyers first ever goal, and after playing he began coaching the Winnipeg Jets.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 18:15, gcreptile said:

Update today on Sasha Lakovic's gofundme page. Sounds horrible, but doesn't look as bad as it sounds. He'll have another round of chemo in April.

Twitter's announcing his death, but nothing newswise so far.

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Twitter's announcing his death, but nothing newswise so far.

10 points on the DDP if the Daily Mail will oblige.

2 minutes ago, msc said:

10 points on the DDP if the Daily Mail will oblige.

Not to mention Deadsox will take the lead against Spade in the Cup with five days to go...