Magere Hein

The Deathlist Howto

Whilst strictly off topic, I was hoping someone with a bit of IT know-how reads this before it's deleted. As some of you may be aware I'm not very good with computers, which might be an understatement.

Anyway, whilst at work I seem to have accidentally downloaded this thing called Google Earth on to my work profile. This most definitely not allowed and I didn't know I was downloading anything, I was just trying to find out what the countryside outside Genoa looked like. How the Hell do I delete it? I've tried moving the icon thingy to the recycling bin , I've clicked on the uninstall option, but every morning when I start work, lo and behold it's still on my desktop. I'm getting worried now and I really don't want to speak to our IT dept as they really, really hate me. Any ideas anyone? Otherwise I'm in big trouble! :unsure:

I may be telling you what you already know, but I would right-click the icon and select 'delete' then go to my control panel and in the Add/Remove programs and try getting rid of it from there.

My hubby tells me that it's probably installed on the firms server and needs to be deleted from there. :rip:

Sorry I can't help. :(:electr2:

Thanks anway, I grateful for you and your husband's input. I still can't delete the bloody thing. I think your husband might be correct - which means I'm buggered ! :electr2:

• Like 1

Whilst strictly off topic, I was hoping someone with a bit of IT know-how reads this before it's deleted. As some of you may be aware I'm not very good with computers, which might be an understatement.

Anyway, whilst at work I seem to have accidentally downloaded this thing called Google Earth on to my work profile. This most definitely not allowed and I didn't know I was downloading anything, I was just trying to find out what the countryside outside Genoa looked like. How the Hell do I delete it? I've tried moving the icon thingy to the recycling bin , I've clicked on the uninstall option, but every morning when I start work, lo and behold it's still on my desktop. I'm getting worried now and I really don't want to speak to our IT dept as they really, really hate me. Any ideas anyone? Otherwise I'm in big trouble! :unsure:

Well DDT, I think it's fairly safe to say that I know less than you about anything computer-related (mainly because it's fairly safe to say that I know less than anybody about that sort of thing) but I did live south of Genoa (Cinque Terre) for a while several years ago, so if I can help you out with anything related to that part of your post, please do let me know. Not sure if you were looking because you're planning a trip there, but if so I can recommend some nice places, tasty food, etc.

There's also a particularly lovely cemetery in Santa Marguerita, which I thoroughly recommend.

There's also a particularly lovely cemetery in Santa Marguerita, which I thoroughly recommend.

Beautifully steered back on topic there, IE+. The crowd applaud!

Beautifully steered back on topic there, IE+. The crowd applaud!

[bowing]I aim to please, AtJ. Every time.[/bowing]

It's true though: Italy does have some spectacular cemeteries. They certainly know how to do up the whole death-and-grieving thing. I think my favourite Italian cemetery is the one in Verona: it's really something - I spent much time in there.

I was sure that I saw a thread all about Peter Falk, but when I went to look for it.... it had gone. Maybe it was only in a dream???

I am a fan of Peter Falk's Columbo. What an excellent brain.... what an excellent catchphrase.... what an excellent boiled-egg habit!

Anyway, was there a thread or am I going mad???

I was sure that I saw a thread all about Peter Falk, but when I went to look for it.... it had gone. Maybe it was only in a dream???

I am a fan of Peter Falk's Columbo. What an excellent brain.... what an excellent catchphrase.... what an excellent boiled-egg habit!

Anyway, was there a thread or am I going mad???

Yes I thought there was too. I searched but couldn't find one. Perhaps we are going mad.

Anyway back to cemetries, I love Russian ones myself. I like the way the put pictures of who's in there on the graves

Anyway back to cemetries, I love Russian ones myself. I like the way the put pictures of who's in there on the graves.

They do that in Italy as well. I quite like it too, though it would appear that it's either against the law to smile in photographs in Italy, or against the law to put photos of smiling people on gravestones. The piccies on the gravestones always look to me as though the person's just found out that they're dead, and they're none too pleased about it.

Anyway, whilst at work I seem to have accidentally downloaded this thing called Google Earth on to my work profile. This most definitely not allowed and I didn't know I was downloading anything, I was just trying to find out what the countryside outside Genoa looked like. How the Hell do I delete it? I've tried moving the icon thingy to the recycling bin , I've clicked on the uninstall option, but every morning when I start work, lo and behold it's still on my desktop. I'm getting worried now and I really don't want to speak to our IT dept as they really, really hate me. Any ideas anyone? Otherwise I'm in big trouble! :lol:

Well DDT, I think it's fairly safe to say that I know less than you about anything computer-related (mainly because it's fairly safe to say that I know less than anybody about that sort of thing) but I did live south of Genoa (Cinque Terre) for a while several years ago, so if I can help you out with anything related to that part of your post, please do let me know. Not sure if you were looking because you're planning a trip there, but if so I can recommend some nice places, tasty food, etc.

Thanks for that IE, I'd already left for Genoa and missed your post. 'Tis indeed a very nice place, I enjoyed exploring the surrounding countryside Mrs Death Trip and I ended up going to lunch with a group of widows and a priest who we met in a small village. None of them were able to help with my Google Earth problem either, although the priest was amazed that such a thing existed. Also had the pleasure of seeing Genoa FC in action, they were relegated two divisions last season for corruption. (the priest got me a free ticket!)

:lol:

I have just learned that placing the letter B with the ) mark after it gives me a happy face. This is bothersome if I want to do a listing with A B C D etc, since I like to place a ) afterwards. Is there anyway to disengage that feature?

:lol:

I have just learned that placing the letter B with the ) mark after it gives me a happy face. This is bothersome if I want to do a listing with A B C D etc, since I like to place a ) afterwards. Is there anyway to disengage that feature?

Not as such. There is, however, the list tag, which you can use for that. It works like this:

1. Type ["list=A"] (without the quotes, I don't want to confuse the software)
  2. Type ["*"] before each item on the list (again without the quotes)
  3. Type ["/list"] (still no quotes)

regards.

Hein

Can someone explain to me why, I can't see the PM's that have been sent to other users?

You have to tick the box that says 'add this item to my sent folder' at the bottom of the screen below the PM you have typed, before the upgrade they were saved automatically, now you have to manually save them.

Can someone explain to me why, I can't see the PM's that have been sent to other users?

You have to tick the box that says 'add this item to my sent folder' at the bottom of the screen below the PM you have typed, before the upgrade they were saved automatically, now you have to manually save them.

I'll get to it - My thanks goes to you Lady Grendel. :)

I'll get to it - My thanks goes to you Lady Grendel. :(

No problem BS, glad to be of help for a change :) .

The stats are back! The stats are back!

clapper9yr.gif

Marvellous news, but what happened on 2nd March 2006 to attract all those users, and at 4 o'clock in the morning?

Ah! I remember it well...

I was in the chat ( :rolleyes: ) with another member who boasts omniscience, when I noticed that several hundred guests were visiting the George Michael thread. Said other member informed that it was most likely "a worm", but I like to think that the George Michael Appreciation Society (GMAP) was having a bit of a surf after a raucous Annual Meeting, and chanced upon our lovely forum.

clapper9yr.gif

Yes. While I was working through the backlog of Admin tasks I found those settings and switched them on again.

regards,

Hein

clapper9yr.gif

Hooray!!!!!

Surely the George Michael Appreciation Society would be having a cruise rather than a surf.......

So sorry 4H, my mistake! The GMAS appeared around the same time as the BBAS (Beach Boys Appreciation Society) and I must have conflated the two in my head.

I'm having trouble updating my avatar. I've done it before, so I know what I'm doing, but it only seems to accept either the Carpenters one or none at all. I'm not anything different, so what's going on?

I'm having trouble updating my avatar. I've done it before, so I know what I'm doing, but it only seems to accept either the Carpenters one or none at all. I'm not anything different, so what's going on?

When you have updated your avatar to what you think is the right one, reload the Avatar Changing Page. I've noticed similar problems, apparently that page's code is a bit dodgy.

HTH

regards,

Hein

That seems to have done the trick. Thanks MH

Now that we're back up to date with the stats, any chance we can have the 'threads we've posted in' indicator back?

Remember? It was a little white box that appeared in the corner of the briefcases. If you'd not posted in the thread the little briefcases would appear as they do now; it you had posted in the thread a little white box appeared in the corner of the briefcase relating to the thread in question.

I appreciate it's a moot point for some of our more... prolific members, but I found it helpful.

Pretty-please? ;)

• Like 1