randomranter

The Dutch

Guest Guest

Former Dutch Pm Piet de Jong

An elder statesman, the oldest prime minister alive. But what's up with him? No mention of a health crisis or death on any major English-language website, en-Wikipedia or De Telegraaf.

Good news everyone (at least for all Dutch).

The entertainment value of Dutch comedy has risen sharply today. Dutch 'comedian' Seth Gaaikema, the most boring one by far, died aged 75.

Who was he the Dutch equivalent of?

Imagine a slightly posh and impeccably dressed stand-up chappie, can't sing, can't dance, whose 'jokes' are mostly puns and who likes to explain them. Think of the "nudge-nudge" character in the Monty Python skit. He had an excuse for being daft: both his parents were Mennonite vicars, but he didn't have to visit that on the public.

He was biggish in the 70s and 80s. Me mum liked him.

regards,

Hein

Add a dash of camp and he could pass for Larry Grayson?

• Like 1

The entertainment value of Dutch comedy has risen sharply today. Dutch 'comedian' Seth Gaaikema, the most boring one by far, died aged 75.

Imagine a slightly posh and impeccably dressed stand-up chappie, can't sing, can't dance, whose 'jokes' are mostly puns and who likes to explain them. Think of the "nudge-nudge" character in the Monty Python skit. He had an excuse for being daft: both his parents were Mennonite vicars, but he didn't have to visit that on the public.

He was biggish in the 70s and 80s. Me mum liked him.

regards,

Hein

Richard Whiteley?

I had to Youtube Grayson to get an idea what he was about, but yes, remarkably so. Until a few minutes ago I knew nothing about Gaaikema's private life, but Google taught me that in 2008 he married the man he had lived with for 27 years. There was nothing camp about his act. He was faintly critical of contemporary society, with a penetrating odour of christian weltschmertz.

I failed to mention that he wrote and translated song texts and other material for other comedians and musicals, to general acclaim.

In the 70s I lived with my parents in Heerlen, a provincial town in the southernmost part of the Netherlands. I regularly accompanied me mum to the local theatre, a slightly run-down concrete structure that seated some 700 spectators. Big acts rarely played it.

Me mum loved theatre, especially comedy. The single performance of Gaaikema we saw in that time was ghastly.

regards,

Hein

Dutch illustrator Marnix Rueb died last night from lung cancer, aged 59.

zelfp.gif

Self portrait of Rueb.

He's world famous in The Hague for his comic strips in the local dialect, mostly centered on his creation Haagse Harry:

HaagseHarry-ValtErWatTeKijken.gif

regards,

Hein

Dutch illustrator Marnix Rueb died last night from lung cancer, aged 59.

zelfp.gif

Self portrait of Rueb.

He's world famous in The Hague for his comic strips in the local dialect, mostly centered on his creation Haagse Harry:

HaagseHarry-ValtErWatTeKijken.gif

regards,

Hein

Genuinly quite upset by this one. My mother is from The Hague and we have all the albums of Haagse Harrie.

So sad he's gone.

Hans Breukhoven, a Dutch rich bloke of no obvious use, is rumoured to be suffering from pancreatic cancer. I don't think he's UK obit material.

regards,

Hein

I saw "Tractor Girl" Ossevoort has made it to the South Pole and is now making her return journey home. I suppose there is a small chance she can mess up on the return journey and get herself killed. She seemed a bit iverconfident about the return trip in the interview I saw and is already planning a film and children's book too.

Dutch fashion designer Frans Molenaar died 9 January, aged 74. I care not for his work, but the cause of death is unusual. He died from injuries sustained when he fell off the stairs a few weeks ago.

regards,

Hein

The Dutch-American actor Robert Boon (1916-2015) has died aged 98. He was born in Haarlem and died in California. RIP

Dutch news in the news. :scratchhead:

regards,

Hein

If he's from a hackers collective, why didn't they just hack into the live feed? :scratchhead:

Dutch news in the news. :scratchhead:

If he's from a hackers collective, why didn't they just hack into the live feed? :scratchhead:

It didn't take long for rumours to fly about this young man being a confused student at Delft Technical U. Completely without sources, of course. The gunman's manners are spotless. Police press conference now.

Edit to add: 19 y/o man from Pijnacker, born in Zoetermeer. I know those places, they do strange things.

regards,

Hein

In all the excitement I completely missed that Prosper Ego died 23 January 2015. He was a propagandist for the almost-fascist right of the variety that prefers shouting and bullying to reason.

360px-Prosper_Ego_(1986).jpg

Nasty people deserve an obit too.

• Like 1

On 26 March Dutch baseball player and football player Hugo Walker died, aged 81.

Hugo_Walker_(1974).jpg

For millions of Dutch this face is unfamiliar, but Walker's voice isn't. He did football commentary on the Sunday evening TV sports programs Studio Sport. He's probably best known for his phrase "Komt dat schot!" ("There's the kick!").

komtdatschot.mp3

Just like to add my congratulations and best birthday wishes to King Willem-Alexander and all our friends in the Netherlands. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-3057500/The-Netherlands-turns-orange-Kings-Day.html

:party::birthday2::birthday:

Thank you, I appreciate the gesture. I'm not so certain the Dutch should be congratulated with all this. I know my opinion is a minority one, but as far as I'm concerned we'd rid ourselves of the monarchy.

Just like to add my congratulations and best birthday wishes to King Willem-Alexander and all our friends in the Netherlands. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-3057500/The-Netherlands-turns-orange-Kings-Day.html

:party::birthday2::birthday:

Thank you, I appreciate the gesture. I'm not so certain the Dutch should be congratulated with all this. I know my opinion is a minority one, but as far as I'm concerned we'd rid ourselves of the monarchy.

Has this ever been a serious option. No-one in the UK seems to be up for the debate and the republicans have appalling timing.

I know my opinion is a minority one, but as far as I'm concerned we'd rid ourselves of the monarchy.

Has this ever been a serious option. No-one in the UK seems to be up for the debate and the republicans have appalling timing.

Roughly 15% of the Dutch prefer a republic over the monarchy. No political party of importance has the republic on its wishlist. Conservative parties strongly support the monarchy and more progressive and liberal parties fear loss of votes when they make a party issue from it. When we consider that the king has no political power and minimal influence, he doesn't get much opportunity to dent popular support (some 75%).

There are some non-party republican movements, but they do little more than talk about it among themselves. So in conclusion: I don't expect to live and see the third Dutch republic.

• Like 2