Grim Reaper

Vaclav Havel

Guest D.J.

Václav Havel was a Czechoslovak PRESIDENT in years 1989 - 1992 and Czech PRESIDENT in years 1993 - 2003. You write Czech PM. The word "PM" is "prime minister", or not? Václav Havel did not a prime minister!

Guest makes a very good point. Havel has only ever been Czech President (and before that Czechoslovak president), but never Czech PM. The Czech PMs were, from memory, Klaus, Zeman, Spidla, Gross, Paroubek and Topolanek, all of which are still going strong.

Czech PMs hold more political power but the Presidents get more international attention and get to live in Prague castle.

Although suffering from a number of ailments I'm not sure if he's particularly under threat this year. Time will tell.

Perhaps instead of ex-Czech PM you could write something like "About to cash his Czech?"

Guest D. J.

Just one thing - Václav Havel was 10 - 12 years ago very ill, he was operated for malign lung tumour in December 1996 and for perforation of "thick" intestine in April 1998.

He was ill for heart arythmy and breathe problems (he have just 1/3 - 1/2 of his right lung after the operation of tumour) but he looks quite healthy in last years.

I saw him in TV yesterday. He looks quite good and healthy. I think that he won´t dead in this year.

Guest Guest

latest news (2009-01-14, czech tv at 12pm) announced his condition is serious but stable

latest news (2009-01-14, czech tv at 12pm) announced his condition is serious but stable

Link

Supposedly he is showing "slight" improvement. Then again, I seem to recall plenty of reports this time last year saying that Suharto was improving...

Supposedly he is showing "slight" improvement. Then again, I seem to recall plenty of reports this time last year saying that Suharto was improving...

Ahhh but Suharto was able to sit up and eat half a biscuit.

What's Havel eating these days?

Dead is also serious and stable.

Guest D. J.

The Havel´s condition is today a bit better than yesterday.

Ahhh but Suharto was able to sit up and eat half a biscuit.

What's Havel eating these days?

Half a dumpling?

You know, I'd never heard of Havel before going to this site (put that down to age related ignorance) and yet I put him down on the shortlist for a poll on Greatest World Leaders on the Outpost Gallifrey forums, and he finished 5th losing only to M.Gandhi, Mandela, the Dalai Lama and Alexander the Great.

Should I assume he's actually quite a well known and respected writer and dissident turned statesman then?

He was/is a great popular figurehead to base a peaceful revolution around, but was never really cut out to be a global statesman, even before the CIA leaned on him (eg for wanting to appoint Frank Zappa as an adviser to his government)

Oh that would have been fan bloody tastic!!

Just imagine it, a Euro summit with all the European heads of State, the President of the USA and anybody else who wanted to attend.

All having a cup of Tea and a Hash cake.

All the Worlds problems would just...fade away man ;)

I'm not a particular fan of Zappa, but what I do know is that he was 100% anti-drugs. His strangest and 'furthest-out' 1960's stuff was intended to send up the whole drug-culture.

Just imagine it, a Euro summit with all the European heads of State, the President of the USA and anybody else who wanted to attend.

That really is one asshole in action. To name his kids as he did without a standard N,N-diethyl-D-lysergamide fallback excuse.

I'm not a particular fan of Zappa, but what I do know is that he was 100% anti-drugs. His strangest and 'furthest-out' 1960's stuff was intended to send up the whole drug-culture.

All the Worlds problems would just...fade away man :blink:

I bow to your greater knowledge Sir.

Guest Nazgul

I saw him at a rock festival two weeks ago. He appeared ok, he even played drums with his friends' band.

Guest Guest who?

Havel is in good condition and he is EX-PRESIDENT not PM!!!!

President Vaclav Havel has been taken to hospital suffering from a "fresh bout of his chronic respiratory illness".