Godot

Mollie Sugden et al

I was recently trying to think of 80s (or older) sitcoms where everyone is still alive and was surprised that Howard and Hilda from Ever Decreasing Circles are both still with us, meaning all the main cast from that are still with us.

Well that's not true now obviously. Did anyone else catch this on BBC4 earlier? It still holds up quite well. So what is the oldest sitcom where all the main cast are still with us? Red Dwarf maybe?

Never The Twain ran from 1981-91, starred Windsor Davies (b. 1930) and Donald Sinden (b. 1923), both still alive. Derek (not)Deadman also still breathing, Honor Blackman and Zara Nutley both had supporting roles at various points, also still with us

I was recently trying to think of 80s (or older) sitcoms where everyone is still alive and was surprised that Howard and Hilda from Ever Decreasing Circles are both still with us, meaning all the main cast from that are still with us.

Well that's not true now obviously. Did anyone else catch this on BBC4 earlier? It still holds up quite well. So what is the oldest sitcom where all the main cast are still with us? Red Dwarf maybe?

Never The Twain ran from 1981-91, starred Windsor Davies (b. 1930) and Donald Sinden (b. 1923), both still alive. Derek (not)Deadman also still breathing, Honor Blackman and Zara Nutley both had supporting roles at various points, also still with us

I meant to put Zara Nutley in my DDP this year and completely forgot. She's in a nursing home, not sure if it's Brinsworth House or not.

Guest guest

Pretty much every major character from the peerless Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads (1973-74) is still with us 40 years on, that's not bad going.

James Bolam (Jun 16th 1935)

Rodney Bewes (Nov 16th 1937)

Brigit Forsyth (Jul 28th 1940)

Sheila Fearn (Oct 3rd 1940)

Apart from Thelmas family.

And Christopher Biggins is only 65????????? Fuckintefuck.

Pretty much every major character from the peerless Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads (1973-74) is still with us 40 years on, that's not bad going.

James Bolam (Jun 16th 1935)

Rodney Bewes (Nov 16th 1937)

Brigit Forsyth (Jul 28th 1940)

Sheila Fearn (Oct 3rd 1940)

The original series was titled "The Likely Lads" and ran from 1964 to 1966 originally. Bewes,Bolam and Fearn all played lead roles with the series running for 20 episodes, so perhaps this now claims the record...unless it can be bettered...

Keith Smith who played the role of Private 'Professor' Hatchett in The Army Game and also the headmaster Mr. Wheeler in the Beiderbeck Trilogy is 87. Four cast members from Beiderbecke have died a few years ago, Colin Blakely, James Grout, Keith Marsh and Terence Rigby.

Edited to say:

Sorry posted in the wrong thread, this should be moved to the Mollie Sugden thread.

Edited by Phantom
Post moved

For those who miss the excitement of predicting which cast member of Last of the Summer Wine will not make it to the end of the series the BBC allows more elderly Northern folks onto our screens with a full series of Still Open All Hours

For those who miss the excitement of predicting which cast member of Last of the Summer Wine will not make it to the end of the series the BBC allows more elderly Northern folks onto our screens with a full series of Still Open All Hours

I didn't see it myself but heard it wasn't up to much. The reason it scored such a high rating was partly nostalgia and the fact it was on Boxing Day, a time when most people are sat vegetating in front of the tv

Guest Guest

why don't they bring something genuinely funny like One Foot in the Grave back

Because the lead character, Victor Meldrew, was killed off...

Why not get David Jason to play Victor's nephew etc etc.

• Like 2

Guest Guest

they could pretend that his wife was just having a bad dream and have her wake up with Victor still alive and well beside her.Like when Bobby Ewing was brought back from the dead in Dallas

I didn't see it myself but heard it wasn't up to much. The reason it scored such a high rating was partly nostalgia and the fact it was on Boxing Day, a time when most people are sat vegetating in front of the tv

It was an easy watching piece of TV whimsy but the thing that everyone seemed to think was how much everyone missed Ronnie Barker.

The new series will need to establish something more than just characters coming on and saying all their recognisable lines otherwise it will end up like the later series' of Allo, Allo.

Or here's a novel idea. MAKE SOMETHING FUCKING NEW INSTEAD OF WHEELING OUT OLD FARTS LIKE DAVID JASON.

• Like 4

It was an easy watching piece of TV whimsy but the thing that everyone seemed to think was how much everyone missed Ronnie Barker.

The new series will need to establish something more than just characters coming on and saying all their recognisable lines otherwise it will end up like the later series' of Allo, Allo.

Reviving old sitcoms rarely works, for every Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads there is a dozen Liver Birds, Grace and Favour, the Legacy of Reggie Perrin...

One sitcom that probably few remember is "Dead Ernest" which starred Andrew Sachs (b. 4-7-1930)

Ken Jones (b. 20-2-1930) - Archangel Derek

Janet Rawson (b. ?) - Archangel Doreen

Simon Chandler (b. ?) - Schubert

Derek Deadman (b. ?) - Saint George

Joseph Grieg (b. ?) - Eric the Poltergeist

Tony Haygarth (b. 4-2-1945) - Warrant Angel Hoskins

Kenny Ireland (b. ?) - Brian

Hilton McRae - (b 28-12-1949) - Mozart

Bryan Murray (b. 13-7-1949) - Saint Patrick

Robert Putt (b.?) - Beethoven

John Quentin (b. ?) - Cherub Beavis

Tim Sinclair (b. ?) - Congreve

Seretta Wilson (b. ?) - Linda

Can anyone help fill in the missing gaps with d.o.b or have any health info on those left alive from the cast?

Updated Dead Earnest cast list

Andrew Sachs (b. 4-7-1930)

Ken Jones (b. 20-2-1930 d. 14-2-14) - Archangel Derek

Janet Rawson (b. ?) - Archangel Doreen

Simon Chandler (b. ?) - Schubert

Derek Deadman (b. ?) - Saint George

Joseph Grieg (b. ?) - Eric the Poltergeist

Tony Haygarth (b. 4-2-1945) - Warrant Angel Hoskins

Kenny Ireland (b. ?) - Brian

Hilton McRae - (b 28-12-1949) - Mozart

Bryan Murray (b. 13-7-1949) - Saint Patrick

Robert Putt (b.?) - Beethoven

John Quentin (b. ?) - Cherub Beavis

Tim Sinclair (b. ?) - Congreve

Seretta Wilson (b. ?) - Linda

Patricia Routledge is 85 today.

Perfect opportunity for a candlelight supper

• Like 1

Guest Guest

so?

so?

So you're a useless cunt :P

• Like 2

I remember in that show so she was so obsessive about keeping everything clean she would even lick carpet.

• Like 1

I remember in that show so she was so obsessive about keeping everything clean she would even lick carpet.

And when she answered the telephone, she was the Speaker of the House. Perhaps we should move these to the gossip thread.

Guest Guest

so?

I know I am. But whats the significance of Patricia Routledge turning 85? Does it mean she's about to die? if not why mention it?

so?

I know I am. But whats the significance of Patricia Routledge turning 85? Does it mean she's about to die? if not why mention it?

It is always useful to remind people how old the potential picks are, and what better way than by marking their birthdays. As posts go I thought it was fairly harmless but it seems to have annoyed you.

Be as one with the world.