Godot

Fascinating Creatures - Squids

What a superb site. I especially like the squid fight game. When I woke up this morning I never expected my day to include pitting a squid against an alpaca in a fight to the death.

I racked up 1340 squid points and defeated 25 foes. Is this a record?

What a superb site. I especially like the squid fight game. When I woke up this morning I never expected my day to include pitting a squid against an alpaca in a fight to the death.

I racked up 1340 squid points and defeated 25 foes. Is this a record?

I only managed 881 squid points and defeated only 15 enemies. However, I have a Squintelligence qutotient of 145 so I'm obviously brainy rather than brawny in a squid sort of way, a bit of a squid geek I suppose.

Right, off to the video shop to seek out this little gem.

thesquidandthewhale_l200509291134.jpg

Just need to find out what the french is for squid, I wonder if it is Lula? Any of the Grave family care to help me on this?

Otherwise I'll have to make do with The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and keep my eyes peeled for our favourite invertebrae.

A Squid Beak is not always what it seems.

Good one AtJ. The camel toe images are eye-watering stuff. Lots of squid beak there.

Squid Salad a la Binh

Serves 4

1 lb squid, cleaned

4 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped fine (1 Tbl)

2-3 small Thai hot peppers, seeded and chopped (1/2 tsp)

1 cup very thinly sliced onions

3 Tbl lime juice

1/4 cup shredded fresh mint

1/4 cup shredded cilantro leaves

2 Tbl nuoc mam (fish sauce)

1/2 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp salt

4 large lettuce leaves

Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Cut the body of

each squid crosswise into 1 inch slices and the tentacles into

1/2 inch pieces. Add the squid to the boiling water and cook

for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until the water

comes back to a boil. Do not overcook as squid has a tendency

to get tough and chewy when overcooked. Drain immediately.

Combine the remaining ingredients except the lettuce in a serving

bowl large enough to hold the squid. Add the hot, drained squid

and toss until well mixed. Set aside for at least 10 minutes (but

best if marinated for 24 hours) stirring occasionally so that

the dish can develop flavor. Can be kept in the refrigerator for

4-5 days.

Serve on lettuce leaves.

My profile picture contains squid & blond nubile females. A classic, yet sadly rare, mix. :blink:

As long as Jane Tomlinson doesn't die in the next fortnight, it will also likely be my next avatar..

OctopusGirlXS.jpg

Here's what can happen if you have a few too many and go out chasing squid

Here's what can happen if you have a few too many and go out chasing squid

Isn't that Phantom's avatar, the guy in the picture?

For our more sentimental deathlisters, if such an oxymoron is possible...

A Peace of Squid

MakeLoveNotWar.jpg

Squid in its own Ink

2 lb small fresh whole squid with ink sacs

1 onion, finely chopped

1 cl garlic, finely chopped

olive oil for frying

Italian (flat) parsley, chopped

bread crumbs

1 onion, finely chopped

crust of bread

2 Tb Fish broth

Ink from the sacs

8 ts tomato puree

1.Take apart and clean the fresh squid, taking care to remove the ink sacs without breaking them. Set the ink sacs aside. Cut the tentacles into one inch chunks.

2.Fry one onion and one garlic clove in olive oil. When the onion begins to take on color, add the chunks of squid tentacles and cook slowly while stirring in the oil. Add the chopped parsley and bread crumbs and stir until well thickened.

3.Stuff the squid tails with this mixture, being careful not to overfill. Seal the openings with a toothpick. Fry the stuffed tails in a small amount of olive oil, turning gently, until golden in color. Meanwhile make the ink sauce.

Ink Sauce:

4.Brown the other onion and garlic clove in olive oil, and add a crust of bread. Place the fish broth in a small bowl. Place the reserved ink sacs in a fine sieve our the bowl and puncture carefully. Blend the ink and broth. Add this liquid to the onion and garlic and cook slowly. Add the tomato puree and continue to simmer for a short time. Run the mixture through a blender.

5.Place the sauce in a large skillet, add the fried, stuffed squid and simmer for 15 minutes. Makes three to four servings.

Squid in its own Ink

2 lb small fresh whole squid with ink sacs

1 onion, finely chopped

olive oil for frying

Italian (flat) parsley, chopped

bread crumbs

1 onion, finely chopped

crust of bread

2 Tb Fish broth

Ink from the sacs

8 ts tomato puree

1.Take apart and clean the fresh squid, taking care to remove the ink sacs without breaking them. Set the ink sacs aside. Cut the tentacles into one inch chunks.

2.Fry one onion and one garlic clove in olive oil. When the onion begins to take on color, add the chunks of squid tentacles and cook slowly while stirring in the oil. Add the chopped parsley and bread crumbs and stir until well thickened.

3.Stuff the squid tails with this mixture, being careful not to overfill. Seal the openings with a toothpick. Fry the stuffed tails in a small amount of olive oil, turning gently, until golden in color. Meanwhile make the ink sauce.

Ink Sauce:

4.Brown the other onion and garlic clove in olive oil, and add a crust of bread. Place the fish broth in a small bowl. Place the reserved ink sacs in a fine sieve our the bowl and puncture carefully. Blend the ink and broth. Add this liquid to the onion and garlic and cook slowly. Add the tomato puree and continue to simmer for a short time. Run the mixture through a blender.

5.Place the sauce in a large skillet, add the fried, stuffed squid and simmer for 15 minutes. Makes three to four servings.

my mate ordered that in Ibiza last year... obviously couldnt speak Spanish and didnt have a clue what he was ordering. it looked worse than it tasted, anyway..

The huge deep-sea squid T.danae emits blinding flashes of light as it attacks its prey.

Full story in Scientific American here.

Calamari in Padella

Ingredients:

7 oz. calamari, tubes and tentacles

1 T onion, minced

1.5 T garlic, minced

.5 T capers

.25 cup Roma tomatoes, diced

10 Kalamata olives, halved

salt and pepper

pinch red chili pepper flakes

1 T olive oil

1 T basil chiffonade

.25 cup red wine

.5 cup marinara

Directions:

1. Add oil, onion, garlic, capers, olives, tomatoes, salt and pepper, and chili flakes, sautee.
  2. Once sauteed, add calamari, and continue to sautee until calamari begins to curl.
  3. Now add the red wine, continue tossing calamari.
  4. Add marinara sauce and basil and heat until calamari is cooked, which means tender, dont cook until its chewy!
  5. Add salt and pepper if need for extra taste.

What a whopper!

Wow!

I see our reference point is the not so "ubiquitous" London bus. Does that suggest several will come along at once. Will we have a squid fest of discoveries?

Calimari Steak

1 calimari steak

1 cup breadcrumbs

1 egg

1 cup heavy cream mixed 1/3 with half and half

2 T gorgonzola

2 T pecorino romano

1 t dried oregano

1 t dried basil

1 pinch chili flakes

2 T lemon juice

1 pinch fresh basil chiffonade

20 capers

3 Kalamata olives, halved

1 T minced onion

salt and pepper

1/8 cup marinara

oil

1. In a small bowl beat egg, 1/4 cup of cream mixture, dried oregano, dried basil, chili flakes, one tablespoons romano cheese, and pinch salt pepper.
  2. Dry the calamari steak and dip into the mixture.
  3. Place calamari steak in bread crumbs and coat with crumbs pressing the crumbs into the steak with heel of hand until well attached.
  4. Heat oil in medium frying pan.
  5. Fry calamari steak until golden brown on both sides.

What a whopper!

One expert said calamari rings made from it would be like tractor tyres.

Size or texture? :lol:

Not a real squid.

The Guardian has printed an apology

'We were misinformed by the publishers of the book from which the image was taken, and have since learned that the squid was in fact a model, built to the dimensions of a submature female specimen.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,1575636,00.html

The giant squid (September 10) was the subject of great debate at my work. The consensus is that it's a fake, but there's a minority hoping it's real.

Jon Kelly

Doncaster, South Yorkshire

We were misinformed by the publishers of the book from which the image was taken, and have since learned that the squid was in fact a model, built to the dimensions of a submature female specimen. Apologies to all our correspondents.

This, however, is a real recipe:

Squid in Lemon Ginger Sauce

4 Squid (not the collosal kind)

2 tsp Sugar

1 Piece Fresh Ginger, Peeled

2 Tbls Lemon Juice

2 tsp Oil

1 Cube Chicken Bouillon

3 Medium Zucchini

1 Tbls Soy Sauce

1/4 Cup Mushrooms, Sliced

1/2 Cup Water

2 tsp Cornstarch

1. Prepare the sauce first: Blend the cornstarch and sugar in a small bowl with the lemon juice. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Set aside.
  2. Prepare the squid: Hold the squid in one hand. Hold the head and gently pull with the other hand. The head and inside of the body will come away in a complete piece. Remove the bone found at the open end of the squid (it looks like a long piece of plastic). Clean the squid under cold water. Rub off the outer skin.
  3. Cut the squid evenly into rings.
  4. Cut the ginger into wafer thin slices. Finely shred the wafers of ginger.
  5. Drop the squid into a saucepan of boiling water. Boil for 10 seconds. Remove immediately. Drain.
  6. Heat the oil in the wok or large skillet. Stir fry the zucchini for 2 minutes. Add the ginger, squid and mushrooms. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens. Serve hot.

Any of the Grave family care to help me on this?

Le squid

Cheers Dave, eventually found the film, quite good, award winning in fact. My trouble was in French they totally detracted from the Sperm Whale and Giant Squid Clash of the Titans and called it, Les Berkman se séparent (The Berkmans are separating). Have the French no originality. Discuss.

Galanga Squid Soup

A 2 to 3-inch section fresh or frozen Thai galanga, or 6-8 dried pieces

2 stalks lemon grass

3 cups rich coconut milk

3 cups water

8 medium-size prawns

1/2 tsp. salt

4-5 whole squid

8-10 mussels in the shell

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 a dungeness crab, preferably uncooked

8 large sea scallops

1 small onion, quartered and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick

3-4 red jalapeno or fresno peppers, to desired hotness cut in large slivers

4 fresh kaffir lime leaves, thinly slivered

2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced about 1/4 inch thick

4-6 Tbs. fish sauce (nahm bplah), to taste

Juice of 1-2 limes, to desired sourness

1-2 Tbs. palm sugar, to taste

1/4 tsp. freshly ground white pepper

A handful of cilantro leaves or short sprigs

With a sharp knife, slice the galanga root thinly; it is not necessary to peel unless the outside has turned old and brown. Cut and discard the bottom tip of the lemon grass and remove the loose outer leaf or leaves. Slice at a long slanted angle, about an inch apart, all the way up the stalk to near where the grass blade starts. Smash and bruise with the flat side of a cleaver to release the aromatic oils and flavor. Place both galanga and lemon grass in a soup pot.

Spoon as much of the thick cream off the top of the coconut milk as you can and reserve for later use. Add the remaining watery part along with 3 cups of water to the herbs in the pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered over low heat for 10-15 minutes.

In the meantime, prepare the seafood and remaining ingredients. Shell and butterfly the prawns. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt and a 2 Tbs. of water. Mix well and set aside for about 10 minutes. Then rinse a few times to remove all the salt. Clean the squid, cutting the tube-like body into 3-4 circles about an inch apart. Leave the tentacles whole. Store in cold water until ready to use.

Scrub the mussels to remove any sand and mud from the shells. Cover with cold water with 1/2 tsp. of baking soda added.

Pull off the crab legs and claw. Use only the top half of the legs; disjoint the claw in two pieces. Crack each leg and claw piece with the back of a cleaver or heavy knife. Cut the body half into 2-3 pieces. Leave the scallops whole. Prepare the remaining ingredients as indicated above.

When the herbs have simmered sufficiently to draw out their flavors, add the sliced onion, slivered chillies and kaffir lime leaves. Simmer 2-3 more minutes. Then add the mushrooms and reserved coconut cream. Stir well to blend into the broth and season to taste with fish sauce. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Drain the mussels and squid. When the soup has just reached the boiling point, add the mussels and crab pieces. Stir.

After 15 seconds, stir in the remaining seafood. Add half the lime juice. Stir, then taste; if you wish the soup to be more limy, add more lime juice. Adjust the sour and salty flavors with enough palm sugar to return the sweet, rich taste of the coconut milk.

The seafood should be ready in about a minute or so. Turn off heat and sprinkle with freshly ground white pepper. Stir well, then transfer to a soup tureen, or ladle into individual serving bowls and garnish with cilantro.

A Squid Beak is not always what it seems.

Good one AtJ. The camel toe images are eye-watering stuff. Lots of squid beak there.

Speaking of which... The camel toe cup

A squid lament, apparently. The squid has issues with squid beak too.

Meanwhile some important dates for your diary:

Forget the inferior jazz festival, why not try...

Last Week in May The Great Monterey Squid Festival

Last Week in July - Squid Fest

September hosts the 7th International Symposium Cephalopods - Present and Past