Death Star

Cliff Michelmore

This thread is the place to discuss Cliff Michelmore.

• Like 2

He didn't exactly send the posters wild last year and he cheated death whilst in the top fifty list.

Will he live to see the end of 2006? Should we reconsider him? Did he ever do anything memorable on telly?

He didn't exactly send the posters wild last year and he cheated death whilst in the top fifty list.

Will he live to see the end of 2006? Should we reconsider him? Did he ever do anything memorable on telly?

I think he was a co-presenter of the 'Tonight' programme as well as a few others. Not too sure, but wasn't he also a presenter on 'Holiday' and 'Nationwide'? Worthy of inclusion methinks.

Check out 1957

Edited by heaven can wait

Does anyone know anything about his current health? For such a famous face from the past he seems to have dropped well out of sight. He seems to be taking us on, betting our interest will die of apathy before he dies.

Hell, this is one lively thread..........NOT!!!!!

The absence of unregistered and offended Mitchelmore fans ranting about our antics speaks volumes for the man's lack of charisma. Maybe it'd be pointless returning him to the DL. In terms of public profile the man is already dead.

Wow, this thread is sooooo dull.

Didn't Michelmore present the holiday program for a while. And he is/was married to Jean Metcalf. Is she still alive?

Perhaps it should be renamed Cliff Mitchelsnore

Wikipedia on Mrs Mitchelmore:

She died at Petersfield, Hampshire, on 28 January 2000.

He was a squadron leader in the war and presented coverage of the moon landings. I mean, he shot Germans down in flames and was there when history was made.

Still a f***in' dull thread though. C'mon man, liven it up and die!

Still a f***in' dull thread though. C'mon man, liven it up and die!

So is he the dullest DeathList candidate ever?

Or can the regurlars think of others even more dull. (Which is maybe the only way to breathe some life into this thread.)

A classic case of "is he famous enough for the DL?" Considering the last thing of significance he did was win the CBE in 1969, it's not as though too many DLers can legitimately claim to remember him from when he was famous, and I for one would seriously question whether his achievements merit his inclusion for DL 2006. Going to the moon is one thing, talking about it on telly quite another.

Cliff Michelmore was the anchor of the BBC's election coverage in 1966 and 1970. Presented the Tonight programme (forerunner of Nationwide) in the 1960s and the Holiday programme in the 1970s. Yes he hasn't done too much, but when he goes, he'll get the obituaries and maybe even a piece on TV news if its a quiet day.

Worth a mention, since BBC TV first covered elections in 1955, there have been four anchormen in 50 years: Dimbleby, Dimbleby Jnr, Alistair Burnett and Cliff Michelmore. so he's worth a consideration for the list...

A classic case of "is he famous enough for the DL?" Considering the last thing of significance he did was win the CBE in 1969, it's not as though too many DLers can legitimately claim to remember him from when he was famous, and I for one would seriously question whether his achievements merit his inclusion for DL 2006. Going to the moon is one thing, talking about it on telly quite another.

Cliff Michelmore was good enough for DeathList in 2004,

so surely once a suitable candidate, always a suitable candidate.

Cliff Michelmore was good enough for DeathList in 2004,

so surely once a suitable candidate, always a suitable candidate.

Until death do us part.

When I was a kiddie, Cliff Michelmore was one of the best known names on the telly; he was definitely a "household name."

A glance at this year's list shows that most of the incumbents are either still active in their field of fame or have something (a film, a book, an economy, a design, a grudge against them) to remind us of them.

Many of the names suggested in the 'possibilities' thread have been very celebrated in their day, but have sunk in to the murk of memory until some diligent researcher has dug them up and reminded us all that they are still tottering on. Cliff Michelmore possibly comes into this category but he would have been famous enough to include if there had been a DL in 1970 - so why not now?

Murk of memory or not, a former household name is 86, widowed and - maybe - a goer for the DL next year. I can't find anything on his current health that helps either way. If someone could dig up some inside information soon we might have us a winner next year.

Many of the names suggested in the 'possibilities' thread have been very celebrated in their day, but have sunk in to the murk of memory until some diligent researcher has dug them up and reminded us all that they are still tottering on. Cliff Michelmore possibly comes into this category but he would have been famous enough to include if there had been a DL in 1970 - so why not now?

I agree... even though I can't say I'dve ever heard of him if I hadn't been on this forum, and that most other DLers haven't had much interaction with him, that doesn't discard the fact that he was famous in his day.

Murk of memory or not, a former household name is 86, widowed and - maybe - a goer for the DL next year. I can't find anything on his current health that helps either way. If someone could dig up some inside information soon we might have us a winner next year.

Agreed, I think that's a question that rarely gets answered on these forums. I couldn't find anything myself, but then again I'm not the best with search engines.

We should be treating ALL potential candidates with this much discussion I think... I feel a lot of good candidates have been glossed over.

I agree... even though I can't say I'dve ever heard of him if I hadn't been on this forum, and that most other DLers haven't had much interaction with him, that doesn't discard the fact that he was famous in his day.

Cliff-M-very-small.jpg

Here is the most recent image I could find. Judge for yourself whether he looks ill.

Cliff-M-very-small.jpg

Here is the most recent image I could find. Judge for yourself whether he looks ill.

Reminds me of Renquhist, minus the "sexy grandpa" hat and the thyroid cancer.

Loads of internet stuff on what he did, including his love of golf. My guess is, this current thread represents something of a revival for the man.

Loads of internet stuff on what he did, including his love of golf. My guess is, this current thread represents something of a revival for the man.

He'll be so pleased if he reads it. :)

All publicity is good publicity.

Well, we've had the odd ranter on here disputing that notion but it's worth considering.

Agreed, I think that's a question that rarely gets answered on these forums. I couldn't find anything myself, but then again I'm not the best with search engines.

We should be treating ALL potential candidates with this much discussion I think... I feel a lot of good candidates have been glossed over.

I can't find anything out about his current health.

But I have tracked down his address and telephone number.

Don't think it would be a good idea to give him a call though, "hey cliff, planning on dying soon?". Probably won't go down too well. :)

Tell him we're planning an Internet tribute, that'll smoke out a little conversation which might help us to make a good guess about his suitability next year.