maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Early Rockabilly pioneer, Bonnie Lou passed away in her sleep at the age of 91.

Her biggest hit was in 1953 with Tennessee Wig-Walk, she also had a hit in 1955 with Daddy-O

edit - this could also go under the Country thread as she played both Country and Rockabilly

Rainer Bloss, german ambient musician most notable for some collaborations with Klaus Schulze, has died at 69:

http://www.alphaville.info/rainer-bloss/

Curiously, this means that two of the three creators of the "involuntarily funny" album Aphrica have died just 31 days apart, with Ernst Fuchs having died in November (with Telegraph obit). Will Klaus Schulze be next?

• Like 1

Ricardo Groenewald, who sang the hit track I Love You Daddy passed away on Wednesday night at the age of 43.

Groenewald was only 8-years-old when he rocked the music industry in 1989 and performed alongside Stevie Wonder on the Children Of The World Tour. His death comes after comes just days after his friends in the music industry held a special benefit concert for him DOH!!

SC

http://connect.citizen.co.za/33907/fans-bid-farewu-daddy-singer/

I Love You Daddy

I was 20 in 1989 and 46 years old now. He aged very fast.

POISON drummer Rikki Rockett recently completed nine rounds of chemotherapy and seven weeks of radiation after being diagnosed with oral cancer this past summer. The rocker will undergo a PET scan in February to determine if the treatment was successful.

SC

POISON drummer Rikki Rockett recently completed nine rounds of chemotherapy and seven weeks of radiation after being diagnosed with oral cancer this past summer. The rocker will undergo a PET scan in February to determine if the treatment was successful.

SC

Shoo-in Deathrace fodder, just sayin', like

No chance. He will live for years.

Unlike...

Mick Lynch of Microdisney.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/1217/754723-stump-frontman-mick-lynch-passes-away/

Stump were shite, so Microdisney is his legacy.

Edit,,,, lol., he probably wasn't in that incarnation :D

Linda Jardim, who along with Debi Doss provided the backing vocals on The Buggles' Video Killed The Radio Star, has died according to this tweet from her brother. https://twitter.com/Shep_62/status/678922973097697280

This is her 15 minutes then. Never heard of her. Not even sure how you did, Y-Dub.

Heart stoppage killed the unknown backing vocalist.

SC

You might not have heard of SC, but you would've seen her.

First ever video shown on MTV and she was in it...

• Like 1

Linda Jardim, who along with Debi Doss provided the backing vocals on The Buggles' Video Killed The Radio Star, has died according to this tweet from her brother. https://twitter.com/Shep_62/status/678922973097697280

This is her 15 minutes then. Never heard of her. Not even sure how you did, Y-Dub.

SC

Certainly not a household name, and I'm familiar with her voice. Although it's not as if I would see the video come on MTV and be able to say "oh yes, that's Debi Doss". I would hazard a guess to say that I own 2-3 albums where she's credited with backing vocals.

SC

Certainly not a household name, and I'm familiar with her voice. Although it's not as if I would see the video come on MTV and be able to say "oh yes, that's Debi Doss". I would hazard a guess to say that I own 2-3 albums where she's credited with backing vocals.

Tbf, the cleaning lady at the recording studio was credited with cleaning the studio she recorded in for those albums but wont get an obituary.

Sometimes it gets ridiculously obscure.

SC

Tbf, the cleaning lady at the recording studio was credited with cleaning the studio she recorded in for those albums but wont get an obituary.

Not disputing that she's a tad obscure. After all Dennis "Fergie" Frederickson didn't get much of an obit. I think the most I saw was from the local paper here, and that's because he was living here at the time he died.

SC

Not disputing that she's a tad obscure. After all Dennis "Fergie" Frederickson didn't get much of an obit. I think the most I saw was from the local paper here, and that's because he was living here at the time he died.

I wasn't having a pop at you or anybody else, honest!!

Im just thinking that, perhaps, the totally obscure should remain that way.

I understand it's an observation rather than a criticism. Someone who was an integral part of one of the most iconic songs and had a prominent role in the video on a worldwide stage is obscure? The chorus is in fact all the two girls, yet we are only to be concerned with the two blokes in the band? And then years down the line, someone will say on here after Trevor Horn's death "I wonder what became of the girls in the video/on the song".

I guessed she was worth mentioning. I know some folk are here for obitability, deadpooling purposes or many other reasons. I caught this titbit of information and do think it's worth mentioning, assuming it is factually correct (she's mentioned on the Wiki page for the song too).

I've said before, no big star ever makes it on their own, especially in the music business. This lady may be "obscure" to some, eminently famous to others (Scott Weiland's can of worms opens up), but hey in the future someone can pop in a search and find the post. They won't be searching for a dead cancer mom in three months from their death, but huzzah there'll be plenty of posts about them.

Anyway, love you all and I'll no doubt put up more posts which might not matter to some, but at least I'll hope you find informative.

• Like 4

I'd vaguely heard of her, though the song annoys me.

I don't see the issue though: 99% of rappers mentioned on this forum are obscure as hell to me and you don't see me complaining.

SC

I'm just wondering where you draw the line at "obscure", there was an article on the BBC site last week that because of the new Star Wars film the bit actors from the original trilogy have been in high demand for Sci-Fi conventions.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35094162

SC

I'm just wondering where you draw the line at "obscure", there was an article on the BBC site last week that because of the new Star Wars film the bit actors from the original trilogy have been in high demand for Sci-Fi conventions.

Well yes, those conventions are a bit extreme really.

Point taken though, ones obscure is another ones, well, not obscure!

• Like 1

Poor David Prowse is practically A-list next to some others on that list!

He was the main villain in one of the biggest selling film franchises of all time. I'd say that made him a-list in his time.

I'd vaguely heard of her, though the song annoys me.

I don't see the issue though: 99% of rappers mentioned on this forum are obscure as hell to me and you don't see me complaining.

So it was 99 rappers but the bitch ain't one ?

• Like 1

He was the main villain in one of the biggest selling film franchises of all time. I'd say that made him a-list in his time.

He was also the Green Cross Code man too for a while and to be fair, Prowse does charge £20 for his autograph.

For that money you could easily get an Ewok and a rebel engineer.

• Like 1

Vader was but a footnote to his career highlight, as a minotaur in a dreadful episode of Dr Who. :lol:

• Like 1

SC

Well yes, those conventions are a bit extreme really.

Point taken though, ones obscure is another ones, well, not obscure!

Anyway, even though I know the her name even when I watch the video I wouldn't be able to tell you if she was the blonde or the brunette. :)