maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

Some authors seem to go on for ages and they don't appear on boards like this because they often stay out of the public eye. Many people simply assume they're dead. However the following are unlikely to be setting sprint world records or clocking up high sales figures for pin up calenders these days.

J.D 'Catcher in the Rye' Salinger, 1919 -

Harper 'To Kill a Mockingbird' Lee, 1926 -

Robert M 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence' Pirsig, 1928 -

• Like 1

I've just been reading about JD Salinger at www.morrill.org/books/salbio.shtml.

He sounds a bit of an odd cove. One of those authors who's only known for one book (which I haven't read). He's now married to a nurse, 30 years his junior - not hard to see what he gets out of that relationship - but previosly had a seven year relationship with the 1980s actress Catherine Oxenburg. Lucky sod!

• Like 1

'Normal' was never on the job spec where being an author is concerned. But - like people who write hymns - the other odd uniting characteristic is their ability to survive into old age. Then again, as the Grim Reaper might say. 'You can run but you can't hide.'

• Like 2

E.C. Tubb, I was sure the laddo were dead, obviously wrong. B 1919 and on the evidence linked above still gannin strong. I had a mate at Uni who loved Tubb's Dumarest Saga, a lengthy series of books about a guy who believed - much to everyone else's amusement - that he was born on a fabled planet called Earth and might one day return there. Rumour was Tubb had the last book written and it would be published when the great man died. I guess my old mate is still waiting to read it.
  • Like 1

Salman Rushdie - do you think they removed the Fatwa now they have bigger fish to fry...

Bush, Blair, Condie et al. Or was that lifted when the Ayatollah Khomeini himself died?

• Like 1

Salman Rushdie - do you think they removed the Fatwa now they have bigger fish to fry...

Bush, Blair, Condie et al. Or was that lifted when the Ayatollah Khomeini himself died?

Maybe not Iran apparently will only accept a withdrawl by the person that issued the fatwa

Maybe not Iran apparently will only accept a withdrawl by the person that issued the fatwa

Stephen King- got beat over by a twat in a truck...read all about it in King's On Writing

With respect to the thread...King's quite old, but not prematurely heading for a grave...but it's kinda relevant no? sh*t! f**k Jeez!

Charles Dickens is even older. Is he dead?

Guest Lord Fellatio Nelson

Stephen King- got beat over by a twat in a truck...read all about it in King's On Writing

With respect to the thread...King's quite old, but not prematurely heading for a grave...but it's kinda relevant no? sh*t! f**k Jeez!

Charles Dickens is even older. Is he dead?

Yes.

Lord Fellatio

Is that your name or do you - like - go down on the upper house?

Guest Lord Fellatio Nelson
Lord Fellatio

Is that your name or do you - like - go down on the upper house?

...........only when I take my teeth out dear chap...........

Norman Mailer, 84, has just spent five days in hospital with "laboured breathing."

He's back home now, but worth keeping an eye on. I didn't know he'd been married six times.

He's a tough old git but adult onset asthma in a chunky 84 year old won't do any favours to his vital organs. Good spot.

One of his former wives, Carol Mailer, spoke to The New York Post about his frail condition.

"He's not in very good shape. It's breaking my heart," she said.

Lighten up woman, and join a deadpool!

One of his former wives, Carol Mailer, spoke to The New York Post about his frail condition.

"He's not in very good shape. It's breaking my heart," she said.

Lighten up woman, and join a deadpool!

If her heart is breaking, maybe she should pick herself before it's too late.

Edgar Allen Poe, s'cuse the post whoring since I've also added this to the 'dead' thread above. Brain tumour appears a very likely cause of a much speculated upon death of the great man. Though the article cooly observes that the ghoulish crowd who love to see conspiracies or the hand of something altogether darker are unlikely to be satisfied with this explanation.

Mary just as explanations hold value, heavy drinking over many years is said to disvalue or in so many words can cause your brain to shrink by up to 1.6%. http://www.decanter.com/news/119005.html

With the combination of your diet being 80% alcohol, not to mention rooming at the local gutter ... I say expect what is most likely expected.

You read that article BS? The point is that Poe's brain appeared to have survived decomposition to a spooky degree, not something they'd have expected in an alcholic brain. Much more likely if what the witnesses saw wasn't his brain but the calcified remains of his brain tumour.

You read that article BS? The point is that Poe's brain appeared to have survived decomposition to a spooky degree, not something they'd have expected in an alcholic brain. Much more likely if what the witnesses saw wasn't his brain but the calcified remains of his brain tumour.

From what I know EAP died at the early age of 39, just four days after being found 'in some other mans cloths'.

They say he screamed '"Reynolds?' Who is Reynolds? That very name might be one of the last immaculate clues left to solving all the unanswered questions.

I can tell you maryportfuncity that I think it's very possible EAP might have sustained a head injury, which that would explain his sudden death at such a young age. One of the greatest unknowns may be 'Mr.Reynolds' and the questions in my mind surrounding him which they are .. 'Mr.Reynolds who are you?' and of course ' Excuse me, Mr Reynolds but why were you naked with Poe in your cloths?'

From what I know EAP died at the early age of 39, just four days after being found 'in some other mans cloths'.

They say he screamed '"Reynolds?' Who is Reynolds? That very name might be one of the last immaculate clues left to solving all the unanswered questions.

I can tell you maryportfuncity that I think it's very possible EAP might have sustained a head injury, which that would explain his sudden death at such a young age. One of the greatest unknowns may be 'Mr.Reynolds' and the questions in my mind surrounding him which they are .. 'Mr.Reynolds who are you?' and of course ' Excuse me, Mr Reynolds but why were you naked with Poe in your cloths?'

Were these dish cloths, window cloths, car cleaning cloths or the cloths a certain DL poster uses for ears? I need to know.

Were these dish cloths, window cloths, car cleaning cloths or the cloths a certain DL poster uses for ears? I need to know.

I've just come to terms with myself that

Godot is officially going senile. :banghead:

Are you eating well? Are you taking a daily vitamin? Are you sleeping on the couch instead of the queen sized bed? Have there been to many priorities for you, maybe Mrs. Godot has been making life very stressful. I have the right to be worried.

Guest The Emperor's New J-Cloth

Maybe this might help you understand Godot's rather funny joke.

Cloths and Clothes

Or was this strange naked man actually a man of the cloth and hence the immaculate clue?

Forgive my grammar but

Cloths for ears?

Godot is in the early stages of dementia. How can you compare fabric with the second sense? It's like comparing leather chairs to conversations, it's incomprehensible.

Whatever guys.....the babble here is kinda proving the point that there are those who want Poe's death to be a mystery in line with his best writing and those who'll consider evidence and see a prosaic solution to the mystery in the recent suggestions.

Brain tumour I reckon.

Oh aye, and the Lock Ness Monster is complete bollocks as well.

• Like 1