little sister

Photographers

May I suggest:

Artist / Fleet Street photographer Humphrey Spender (94)

[snip]

Love and kisses

Little sis

• Like 1

Guest iain

Cowboy Ronnie will be interested in this one..Ronald Reagans official photographer while he was president, Michael Evans has died at 61

Gordon Parks, a renowned photographer for Life magazine,

also Hollywood's first major black director with "The Learning Tree" and the hit film "Shaft."

Has died aged 93.

Guest iain

One of americas first black film directors ,who directed the movie 'Shaft' among others ,Gordon Parks has died at 93

One of americas first black film directors ,who directed the movie 'Shaft' among others ,Gordon Parks has died at 93

Yes I know iain, I just made some corrections to Wiki's recent deaths page.

Do you get all your recent death news from Wiki iain?

because if so, where do you think that the people who post the news on Wiki get their info from.

Gordon Parks, a renowned photographer for Life magazine,

also Hollywood's first major black director with "The Learning Tree" and the hit film "Shaft."

Has died aged 93.

Yikes. Famous people are dropping like flies lately.

Arnold Newman

New York photographer famed for shots of the likes of Pablo Picasso, Marilyn Monroe, Ronald Reagan and Igor Stravinsky (see below) dies aged 88

picassoportrait.jpgmarilyn.jpgnewman_reagan.jpgnewman_stravinsky.jpg

Guest Guest_iain_*
Joe Rosenthal has died.He was famous.In fact he was possibly the moisty famouos photographer in the world.His photograph of the US flag being raised at end of world war is possinble the most famous photo ever taken.SDo dont anyone dare say that he is n ot worthy of a mention in this thread.

Joe Rosenthal has died.He was famous.In fact he was possibly the moisty famouos photographer in the world.His photograph of the US flag being raised at end of world war is possinble the most famous photo ever taken.SDo dont anyone dare say that he is n ot worthy of a mention in this thread.

You may have a point there Iain, although raising the flag over Iwo Jima didn't signal the end of WWII. Keep up the good work.

Guest Guest_iain_*
here is CNN report of this FAMOUS death

Ooh, iain, so defensive! Chill! It's only a forum!

Ok, I dare.

I've never heard of him - he certainly isn't the most famous photographer ever & his photo, whilst iconic, certainly isn't the most famous picture ever. (If I had to choose one, I'd plump for the picture of the Earth from the moon, but that's another matter)

So, what are you going to do about it, Idiain?

Most famous photographer.....but surely, Arthur Edwards, former royal snapper for The Sun, everyone knows Arthur.

Retired but still chipper and prone to taunting us with his good health when interviewed, DL 2019, maybe.

Iain,

How about photographers such as David Bailey? I'd say he is more famous than Joe Rosenthal.

In fact if I mentioned Rosenthal's name to most Americans, they'd say "who?" They may recognise the photo, but wouldn't have a clue as to the name of the photographer behind the camera.

The only other remarkable thing about the photo, was that it was used for a postage stamp here in the US. The thing about it was that the soldiers featured in it were still alive. Usually a person can not appear on a postage stamp unless they're dead. The only other time this has happened I believe was a photo of one of the first Model T Fords and the driver of the car featured in that photo was still alive.

But I honestly wouldn't say that Joe Rosenthal is a world famous photographer, he's known just for that one photo

Actually looking at it again, Iain isn't saying Rosenthal is the most famous photographer in the world but the "Moisty famouos" photographer there's ever been, and who would we be to disagree? <_<

On a serious note, and a further one, re. Rosenthal's fame, how many people do you hear going, "who do you think you are, Joe Rosenthal?". I rest my case.

Actually looking at it again, Iain isn't saying Rosenthal is the most famous photographer in the world but the "Moisty famouos" photographer there's ever been, and who would we be to disagree? :lol:

On a serious note, and a further one, re. Rosenthal's fame, how many people do you hear going, "who do you think you are, Joe Rosenthal?". I rest my case.

I think Iain confuses a mention on CNN as being proof of someone's fame. Stanford Newman got a mention on CNN, but unless they saw Newman's cigars being sold or even smoked them and knew a little about the company, they wouldn't have a clue who he was.

Although he does claim that Rosenthal's death was famous. so I guess he wasn't famous when he was alive <_<

Actually looking at it again, Iain isn't saying Rosenthal is the most famous photographer in the world but the "Moisty famouos" photographer there's ever been, and who would we be to disagree? <_<

In all honesty, if I had gotten to it first, I probably would have posted it in Near Misses too, just due to his age and the iconic status of your picture. As you've pointed out, however, it's not a cut-and-dry case. I think in the end, it's got a lot to do with how many deaths you post. If I were to do it, I'd probably have gotten away with it, or perhaps a light disagreement or two, whereas it's natural to view iain's submissions with a cautious eye.

Overall I'd say near miss, but also wouldn't argue with those who disagree.

In all honesty, if I had gotten to it first, I probably would have posted it in Near Misses too, just due to his age and the iconic status of your picture. As you've pointed out, however, it's not a cut-and-dry case. I think in the end, it's got a lot to do with how many deaths you post. If I were to do it, I'd probably have gotten away with it, or perhaps a light disagreement or two, whereas it's natural to view iain's submissions with a cautious eye.

Overall I'd say near miss, but also wouldn't argue with those who disagree.

CP,

I think Rosenthal unfortunately falls into the category where his photo is more famous than he is.

CP, my issue is not whether its a near miss. My issue is whether Rosenthal is the most famous photographer ever who took THE most famous photograph. The answer is no, and no.

CP, my issue is not whether its a near miss. My issue is whether Rosenthal is the most famous photographer ever who took THE most famous photograph. The answer is no, and no.

Oh, I completely agree. I was just sorting of voicing my opinion on the matter in general.

I think Rosenthal unfortunately falls into the category where his photo is more famous than he is.

I don't deny it. <_<

Iain, please just go away you F**k-knuckle.

10 Photographers more famous than Joe Rosenthal

1. David Bailey
  2. Don McCullin
  3. Robert Capa
  4. Lord Snowdon
  5. Man Ray
  6. Diane Arbus
  7. Henri Cartier Bresson (Deathlist success)
  8. Robert Mapplethorpe
  9. Helmut Newton
  10. M. Daguerre (don't know his first name)

And that's just off the top of my head

Most famous photographer.....but surely, Arthur Edwards, former royal snapper for The Sun, everyone knows Arthur.

Retired but still chipper and prone to taunting us with his good health when interviewed, DL 2019, maybe.

A bit of trivia... Ernest Gallo is ranked by Forbes as #283 in the list of the 400 richest Americans

yes but is he going to die any time soonm?Thats all that matters!

Was Arthur Edwards the one who snapped Queen Liz picking her nose? or am I thinking of another photographer?

Iain, please just go away you F**k-knuckle.

10 Photographers more famous than Joe Rosenthal

1. David Bailey
  2. Don McCullin
  3. Robert Capa
  4. Lord Snowdon
  5. Man Ray
  6. Diane Arbus
  7. Henri Cartier Bresson (Deathlist success)
  8. Robert Mapplethorpe
  9. Helmut Newton
  10. M. Daguerre (don't know his first name)

And that's just off the top of my head

There's also Michael Birt, who is also the brother of Sir John Birt (former director general of the BBC)

Actually I have an original photo by Michael Birt from a photo shoot he did with Quinten Tarantino