Going Underground

Ice Hockey Players

Hockey Hall-of-Famer Bert Olmstead sent to the box after a stroke

That sucks. We've lost a few great Montreal Canadiens this year.

SC

• Like 1

Former Minnesota North Stars and University of Minnesota coach Glen Sonmor, who led the NHL team to the 1981 Stanley Cup Final, died Monday at age 86. Sonmor died at a nursing home in Canada after battling Alzheimer's disease, according to former North Stars general manager Lou Nanne.

SC

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/minnesota-north-stars-glen-sonmor-dies-at-86-minnesota-gophers-1981-stanley-cup-final-121415

Oldest member of the hall of fame, Elmer Lach, has died of a stroke at 97.

Milt Schmidt now becomes the oldest living hall of fame member.

Video showing a wheelchair-bound Milt Schmidt, meeting with the bruins pre-winter classic, led me to look into Schmidt's health. Apparently, he was in quarantine at his nursing home last year after a bout with illness. Other than that, not much, but I hope he has enough fight to keep him around a while yet.

Jack Riley, the Army hockey coach who in 1960 guided the U.S. to its first Olympic gold medal in hockey, has died. He was 95.

He died Wednesday on Cape Cod in Massachusetts, the U.S. Military Academy said Thursday. He regularly attended Army home games into his early 90s.

SC

http://m.torontosun.com/2016/02/04/former-us-hockey-coach-riley-dies-at-95

Oldest member of the hall of fame, Elmer Lach, has died of a stroke at 97.

Milt Schmidt now becomes the oldest living hall of fame member.

Video showing a
, meeting with the bruins pre-winter classic, led me to look into Schmidt's health. Apparently, he was in quarantine at his nursing home last year after a bout with illness. Other than that, not much, but I hope he has enough fight to keep him around a while yet.
Second on that list to Schmidt was Boston Bruin Eddie Barry, who according to Wiki died Feb 12. I find nothing on Google so take it at face value.

SC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Barry_(ice_hockey)

Edit: from what I can tell, Chick Webster moves into the #2 slot now. Jim Conacher #3 Leo Reise Jr #4.

Ice Hockey is not important enough sport to have its own thread I do not believe. Even if Wayne Gretsky, died, it would struggled to make headlines in Europe or Africa. This thread should be merged with minor sports.

Ice Hockey is not important enough sport to have its own thread I do not believe. Even if Wayne Gretsky, died, it would struggled to make headlines in Europe or Africa. This thread should be merged with minor sports.

I'm disappointed in you, Mugabe. How will you ever take over the world if you only acknowledge the existence of 2 continents?

• Like 1

Didn't you not know it ain't not correct to use double negatives because it alters the meaning of that which you are trying to say. Innit?

• Like 2

Didn't you not know it ain't not correct to use double negatives because it alters the meaning of that which you are trying to say. Innit?

What on earth are you talking about. The only double negative in Africa are white rule and white corruption.

• Like 1

Not to mention if Wayne Gretsky died the hockey world would not take any more notice than Asia or Europe.

Wayne GRETZKY otoh.....

SC

Rick MacLeish, a three-time all-star who scored arguably the biggest goal in Flyers history, died Monday night. He was 66.

Mr. MacLeish had been battling meningitis, along with kidney and liver problems.

The smooth-skating center had one of the league's most dynamic wrist shots, and he became the first 50-goal scorer in franchise history in 1972-73. Mr. MacLeish, the NHL's leading playoff scorer when the Flyers won Stanley Cups in 1974 and 1975, finished with 349 career goals.

SC

http://www.philly.com/philly/obituaries/20160601_Rick_MacLeish__smooth-skating__Cup-winning_Flyer__dies_at_66.html?mobi=true

Not a death, but the family of "Mr. Hockey" himself, Gordie Howe, has revealed that he's battling the early stages of dementia. Doesn't sound like he's in any immediate danger, but probably something to keep an eye on.

http://espn.go.com/n...personal-public

Dead: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/06/10/gordie-howe-dies-according-to-numerous-reports/

Number of DDP teams require a qo.

If true, that's about a year then, to answer Sir Creep's query from earlier in the year.