Going Underground

Ice Hockey Players

Can he hold out 30 days? Not holding my breath.

Hoping he can at least hang on till the 12th so I can put him on my Rotten Dead Pool team

Another stroke for Gordie Howe, don't know howe much longer he can last.

The story is about his MRI revealing NO new stroke and being discharged.......

lol, they changed the article from when i posted the link.

Longtime NHL forward (and member of Team Canada during the summit series), J.P. Parisé has died of lung cancer.

Guest Valar Morghulis

Latest Gordie Howe (87) update for those unfortunate enough to have listed him in 2015. That said, at some point this isn't going to end well.

SC

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/01/11/gordie-howe-dementia-detroit-red-wings/21596573/

I don't believe a word of it. I remember Ray Price's wife saying how well he was doing.....then he died. The publicists and family members always try to put a rosy spin on it. The man is 87 and had a serious stroke, I don't think he'll last out the year.

Latest Gordie Howe (87) update for those unfortunate enough to have listed him in 2015. That said, at some point this isn't going to end well.

SC

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/01/11/gordie-howe-dementia-detroit-red-wings/21596573/

I don't believe a word of it. I remember Ray Price's wife saying how well he was doing.....then he died. The publicists and family members always try to put a rosy spin on it. The man is 87 and had a serious stroke, I don't think he'll last out the year.

He might well do. As soon as they said "stem cell treatment" he was definitely off my radar. Didn't you see that episode of Family Guy?

I'd say Gordie Howe is one of those 50/50 chances. Going by just that my brother-in-law has him on his list, chances are he'll survive the year.

Guest Valar Morghulis

SC

He might well do. As soon as they said "stem cell treatment" he was definitely off my radar. Didn't you see that episode of Family Guy?

SC

Yeah, about that stem cell treatment, the guy who wrote this is kind of skeptical http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/dec/25/gordie-howe-stem-cell-stemedica-novastem-hockey/

NHL Coach and GM Bryan Murray (shoulda been on the DL) said to be stepping down as GM after this hockey season (read: May)

Confirms stage 4 colon cancer and it's spread here there and everywhere.
Sir C

NHL Coach and GM Bryan Murray (shoulda been on the DL) said to be stepping down as GM after this hockey season (read: May)

Sir C

You think Joost van der Westhuizen isn't famous enough (in Britain) but this guy is?

Go figure.

• Like 3

Too true. You only get this level of insularity from Americans...

Didn't the English win Olympic gold at 'curling but with sticks' in the 20's?

Sir C

You think Joost van der Westhuizen isn't famous enough (in Britain) but this guy is?

Go figure.

Defensive much?

I'm not competent to speak on who the BBC typically obits. If a South African rugby player then by agod a Canadian 4x NHL COACH AND EXECUTIVE yes I'll speculate they would obit him. But why do you ask Me? I genuinely don't care what the BBC does. Maybe they follow rugby over hockey as a major sport. Ethiopian news sources probably do too.

Sir C.

Sir C

Go figure.

Defensive much?

I'm not competent to speak on who the BBC typically obits. If a South African rugby player then by agod a Canadian 4x NHL COACH AND EXECUTIVE yes I'll speculate they would obit him. But why do you ask Me? I genuinely don't care what the BBC does. Maybe they follow rugby over hockey as a major sport. Ethiopian news sources probably do too.

Sir C.

Now who's being defensive.

Obits count from any UK media outlet, even The Sun (think downmarket National Enquirer), and you may be correct in your assertion that one of the valid outlets does print a qualifying obit, but being realistic, NHL isn't a big deal over here, whereas Rugby Union is.

That's why van der Westhuizen is on the list and Murray isn't.

Murray's eventual death will likely get a Yahoo UK mention since it reported on his cancer diagnosis and it's known for general reliability regarding North American sports figures. But I doubt he'd get much else, and people you have to rely on Yahoo for an obit for aren't really DL material.

Too true. You only get this level of insularity from Americans...

Interestingly enough Ice Hockey isn't really a "national" sport in the Usa. Hockey is a big deal in the Northeast and in places like Minnesota and North Dakota but the best player in the NHL could walk in a a shopping center in California,Hawaii,any Southern state etc. and go completely unrecognized.

Close but no cigar - Gordie Howe's younger brother Vic has died aged 85.

Close but no cigar - Gordie Howe's younger brother Vic has died aged 85.

He died on january 31st. Even though ice hockey is a big thing here in Minnesota, I didn't even see it mentioned on the local news.