Grim Reaper

Olivia De Havilland

Is she still alive or not? I just watched "The Snake Pit" last night. She was incredible in it.

Still alive, and very much so. Fiesty as ever, might be a good one to take off the list for next year (as per above discussion, I'm too lazy to reiterate the points)

Just wondering if anyone has heard why Olivia didnt pick up an honary Oscar at this years awards. It was reported in the press (bbc news website etc) that she was to be honoured with a lifetime achievement award at this years ceremony. I didnt see the actual telecast but dont think it ever happend as Robert Altman recieved this honour and I cant find any refrence in press snippets of her attendance so im presuming Ms De Havilland didnt get any sort of sickly tribute? An indication she was too sick to attend?

Guest Guest
Just wondering if anyone has heard why Olivia didnt pick up an honary Oscar at this years awards. It was reported in the press (bbc news website etc) that she was to be honoured with a lifetime achievement award at this years ceremony. I didnt see the actual telecast but dont think it ever happend as Robert Altman recieved this honour and I cant find any refrence in press snippets of her attendance so im presuming Ms De Havilland didnt get any sort of sickly tribute? An indication she was too sick to attend?

The press release never stated that she was going to get an honory Oscar at the Academy Awards. Please read it for yourself:

Academy Tribute to Olivia de Havilland

Slated for 2006

Beverly Hills, CA — Oscar-winning screen legend Olivia de Havilland will be honored with an Academy Tribute on June 15, 2006, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The two-time Academy Award winner will travel from her home in France to the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills for the event, which will feature film clips of her most-admired performances and discussion with colleagues from throughout her career.

Born on July 1, 1916, in Tokyo to English parents, de Havilland made her screen debut as Hermia in Max Reinhardt’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” in 1935, a role that she had also played on stage at the Hollywood Bowl. Her pairing with Errol Flynn in “Captain Blood,” also in 1935, proved a great success and subsequently the two starred together in seven more films, helping to solidify her leading lady status.

De Havilland earned the first of her five Academy Award nominations for her supporting performance as Melanie Hamilton in “Gone with the Wind.” Two years later, in 1941, her lead performance as Emmy Brown in “Hold Back the Dawn” was nominated. She earned her first Oscar statuette for her portrayal of Jody Norris in “To Each His Own” (1946). “The Snake Pit” (1948), in which she played Virginia Stuart Cunningham, provided de Havilland with another nominated lead performance and in 1949 she took home her second Academy Award for her role as Catherine Sloper in “The Heiress.” Among the directors with whom she worked during this period and later in her career were Michael Curtiz, Victor Fleming, Lewis Gilbert, John Huston, Stanley Kramer, Mitchell Leisen, Anatole Litvak and William Wyler.

Tickets for An Academy Tribute to Olivia de Havilland will go on sale June 1, 2006, for $5 for the general public and $3 for Academy members. They will be available for purchase at the Academy during regular business hours or by mail. The Academy is located at 8949 Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. For more information call 310-247-3600.

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2005/05.11.01.html

I will be attending if my plane doesn't crash!

OdH back in Hollywood

Photo included with the article, and both photo & article indicate that she'll be around for a good while yet. Her will to carry on, being one. Her will to outlive Joan Fontaine another.

OdH back in Hollywood

Photo included with the article, and both photo & article indicate that she'll be around for a good while yet. Her will to carry on, being one. Her will to outlive Joan Fontaine another.

She's looking pretty darn good, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she made the century.

I don't think the photo in that article is contemporaneous with the event though.

This one is I believe,

oo5iy.png

Edited by Tempus Fugit

Any news lately on Olivia?

Guest Guest_weasel_*
Any news lately on Olivia?
Saw her on GWTW last night and she was sure looking good!...

Just turned 91, seems likely to be around for a few years yet. It will be very intresting to see if her or her sister Joan Fontaine dies first. Clerly some good genes in that family as both sisters despite advancing age are in comparitively good health.

Saw her in The Heiress the other night (bit old for the part if you ask me) which got me looking her and the film up on the interweb. Turns out she's not only still going strong but is slated to appear in a movie (I-59 South) later this year. See the writer's website.

Aside - take a look at this cove's "About Me" page. Turns out he's a god-bothering loan shark with a distinctly dodgy taste in music who writes in his spare time.

Guest Grave Mistake

Any idea on who is likely to go first out of the world's most famous feuders, :rolleyes: Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine? (Also, who is your favourite actress of the two?)

Fontaine seems to have a much lower profile these days, but they are probably both clinging on, determined to outlive each other. Maybe one of them will slip the other some poison one of these days... :)

I think Olivia will outlive Joan, despite being the older of the two. I would say that Joan is my favourite of the two actresses, based on her performance in "Rebecca" as opposed to Olivia's "Captain Blood" and "Adventures of Robin Hood". Don't think I have seen any other films featuring either of them...

Thoughts or any recent news on either of them?

Any idea on who is likely to go first out of the world's most famous feuders, :rolleyes: Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine? (Also, who is your favourite actress of the two?)

Fontaine seems to have a much lower profile these days, but they are probably both clinging on, determined to outlive each other. Maybe one of them will slip the other some poison one of these days... :)

I think Olivia will outlive Joan, despite being the older of the two. I would say that Joan is my favourite of the two actresses, based on her performance in "Rebecca" as opposed to Olivia's "Captain Blood" and "Adventures of Robin Hood". Don't think I have seen any other films featuring either of them...

Thoughts or any recent news on either of them?

Olivia received the National Medal of Arts several months ago in November 2008, along with the likes of Stan Lee. Don't know of any recent news on Joan, but both sisters still seem to be doing well.

She seems like a reasonable bet to live to 100+

Guest Eugene

I don't see an immediate passing, maybe Late 2011 or 2012 is my guess. P.S., No one ever thinks of Phyliss Diller? She's 93 and looking pretty ill.

Guest Guested

She popped up over the Christmas period on the TV in the 1982 Agatha Christie film "Murder is Easy" in which she played the innocent old lady no one expects of murder... The remarkable thing is that 30 years later she is still going and some of her younger co-stars have long since departed. She's certainly had an amazing life and she and her sister are probably the only major stars from the pre-war period still alive now.

Guest the watcher

Surprised that Joan Fontaine is not in the list as well to make a potential double whammy - some say that the sisters are only hanging on in order to outlast each other!

Surprised that Joan Fontaine is not in the list as well to make a potential double whammy - some say that the sisters are only hanging on in order to outlast each other!

I have them down for a double though I am not saying which will make the first move.

Hahahaha, really guys? You take one of the healthiest nonagenarians in the world and you put her on the death list not once, not even twice, but 6 (!) whole times? Oh well, you guys are the experts but l'm telling you...She will reach and surpass fellow actress Barbara Kent's age one day. I've noticed some interesting similiarities between them:

*Both were actresses a long time ago
*Both were brunettes
*Both were petite
*Both were really cute

cool.png

Hahahaha, really guys? You take one of the healthiest nonagenarians in the world and you put her on the death list not once, not even twice, but 6(!) whole times? Oh well, you guys are the experts but l'm telling you...She will reach and surpass fellow actress Barbara Kent's age one day. I've noticed some interesting similiarities between them:

*Both were brunettes

*Both were petite

*Both were really cute

B)

Looks like guest guest has finally signed up then

Hahahaha, really guys? You take one of the healthiest nonagenarians in the world and you put her on the death list not once, not even twice, but 6(!) whole times? Oh well, you guys are the experts but l'm telling you...She will reach and surpass fellow actress Barbara Kent's age one day. I've noticed some interesting similiarities between them:

*Both were brunettes

*Both were petite

*Both were really cute

B)

Looks like guest guest has finally signed up then

Who? I've been member of this site for approximately 6 months now...but with another name. I've never posted here as a guest...

That last part about Miss Kent was maybe an exaggeration, but I'm definitly confident that Olivia isn't anywhere near death...I looked all over the net to see if there were any ailments or such, but couldn't find any.

Her father Walter was 95 and her mother Lilian became 88 so longevity is clearly in her genes.

In the end even with good genetics it's always a tossup at that age. I could see her living almost another decade and reach Barbara Kent age, but I also see it as likely she could get the pneumonia in the winter and keel over.

• Like 1

In the end even with good genetics it's always a tossup at that age. I could see her living almost another decade and reach Barbara Kent age, but I also see it as likely she could get the pneumonia in the winter and keel over.

She could always get shot or taken by a shark

What idiot put Olivia on this list? She's probably one of the healthiest 97 year olds on the planet right now! She's probably gonna live well into her 100's.