Boudicca

The Deathlist Kitchen

Found the perfect recipe for you Bou to use up the condiments in your fridge, it may well have been written with you in mind :party: , minus the chicken of course, you can always substitute veggies instead check it out here.

Found the perfect recipe for you Bou to use up the condiments in your fridge, it may well have been written with you in mind :party: , minus the chicken of course, you can always substitute veggies instead check it out here.

:party::blink::party:

• Like 1

They are being re-launched soon! A mate was doing lighting for the advert and looked more like a fireman than the poncy model they had chosen, so is going to be the face of faggots in the UK!

Does anyone eat Brain's Pork Faggots anymore? I'm rather partial to them but I can't find them in my local supermarket. They are rather an acquired taste, perhaps they have been discontinued due to lack of public demand.

I don't know where else to raise this issue but it has become a big worry. I am growing concerned at the death of fish n' chips. One of the worst things about moving south was the discovery of skin on my fish WITHIN the batter. Also much of the fish was fried in cooking oil, not dripping.

In the past 10 years I have seen other significant developments:

• Increasing conversion of chip 'oles in to Chinese takeaways
  • Appearance of fish, chips and mushy peas on the menus of posh London restaurants like Nobu
  • Disappearance of cod and haddock from the North Sea making them increasingly expensive
  • Outlawing of newspaper for fish and chip wrapping

The death of real fish and chips: Those cooked (without the skin on) in batter, in hot dripping in single-product fish and chip shops (Cod or Haddock only) where the bloke cooks and the wife serves, where the only "extras" are fish cakes, collops, mushy peas, "bits" (fried waste bits of batter collected from the pan) pickled eggs/onions, and where the fish and chips are wrapped in newspaper, where the only condiments are salt and vinegar.

Everything else - sausages, fried chicken, Mars bars, wooden forks, trays, sauce sachets (all sachets, everywhere, in fact) should be removed from the face of the planet. Real fish and chips have been one of the best things in my life and they have been crushed by a combination of economic factors, legislation, over-fishing, fashion and lazy preparation (leaving the skin on/cooking oil). Something must be done. A question in Parliament? The death of fish and chips is the death of Britishness.

first of all i want to know what TLC is doing looking in my fridge. doing my doris stokes/uri geller bit, i predict that you live in a flat that's in a block either above or adjacent to a supermarket that's open more often than it's closed. which is certainly why my fridge is never full... or even half full. oh, and in summer it tends to have a part-empty can of cat food - one cat, live on 4th floor with no easy exit (except out the window), cat on permanent diet.

the fish and chip issue is certainly a pressing one. around here (suburban essex) most of the chippies are also kebab shops. proliferation of pies, but no mushy peas, and chips that are often reheated throughout the day (which MUST break some law or the other). only one chippy actually fries fish to order, and most of them also do chicken. (the finest mushy peas i ever had was - were? - in Hartford, outside Northwich, 23 years ago. we walked home for a mile through the cheshire night, our way lit only by a ghostly green glow).

chippies should fry to order, have chips that are crisp, NOT have sachets of sauce but a dispenser on the counter with the salt and vinegar, MUST do sausage in batter and saveloys but NOT those weird round things in batter (what's IN them? they taste like nothing i've ever heard of). no pies, no polystyrene trays, only white paper - or even newspaper!

incidentally, in Frinton they didn't allow pubs or chippies within town boundaries for years. then finally, about fifteen years back, they allowed a chippy called 'The Nice Fish & Chip Shop'. within a couple of years they had a weatherspoons on the main road. draw your own conclusions.

i work in enfield on fridays, and went past one chippy advertising haddock and chips for a tenner! sad days...

first of all i want to know what TLC is doing looking in my fridge. doing my doris stokes/uri geller bit, i predict that you live in a flat that's in a block either above or adjacent to a supermarket that's open more often than it's closed. which is certainly why my fridge is never full... or even half full. oh, and in summer it tends to have a part-empty can of cat food - one cat, live on 4th floor with no easy exit (except out the window), cat on permanent diet.

Strangely I've never lived in a proper block of flats, although I admit that I easily fit the stereotype of the flat dweller. I'm currently in a rented 3 bedroom semi, as I've always managed to find a couple of mates to rent a house with, or at worst a flat above a shop. I must admit at one point I lived about 100 yards from a 24 hour ASDA (Wal-Mart) which effectively became my newsagent, to the extent that the various people who worked the tobacco counter knew my particular brand; how sad is that? No answer required thank you.

The 4th Floor flat beckons though, I think I'm on my last set of single friends who I'd share a house with (or would choose to share with me), so once they settle down to marriage, kids, mortgage etc. I presume it'll be time to join hi-rise & bedsit world.

I do still live near a fair few late night supermarkets, and considering that 2 of them are between the train station & my house it doesn't encourage me to do the big monthly shop I must admit.

In the good old days, we had an extra fridge specifically for alcohol storage, which was always full. Keeping it full required quite some effort I can tell you. It was a sad day last year when it got moved to the garage because it wasn't being used anymore. :shoot: Probably another couple of years before I can bring myself to get rid of it completely though.

I shared a smoked salmon / avocado / baby spinach / cherry tomato and cucumber salad in a lime / dill dressing with the Boudette today. It was from THIS chain. Pretty good, considering..

I shared a smoked salmon / avocado / baby spinach / cherry tomato and cucumber salad in a lime / dill dressing with the Boudette today. It was from THIS chain. Pretty good, considering..

That sounds lovely, I'm not that keen on the salad part but I'm very partial to smoked salmon and dill.

I clicked the link and noticed something strange down in the bottom right corner of the menu. It says something along the lines of 'in the interest of the comfort of others will customers refrain from smoking pipes or cigars'.

Only pipes or cigars though. Am I to take it that cigarettes, roll-ups and spliffs are okay and it's just pipes and cigars they wish to prohibit?

Sounds like my kind of place! I'm all for a bit of class distinction/prejudice, especially when it falls in favour of the working man with a roll-up hanging from the corner of his lips.

Have just boiled up some crayfish for tea. Amazing how they go red when you stick them in the pan. So tonight it's going to be crayfish salad followed by salmon fishcakes and salad, washed down with a bit of white wine. Perphick!

Have just boiled up some crayfish for tea. Amazing how they go red when you stick them in the pan. So tonight it's going to be crayfish salad followed by salmon fishcakes and salad, washed down with a bit of white wine. Perphick!

No gravy?

No gravy?

No, am trying to kill the stuff I eat where I can and haven't worked my way up to a cow yet.

No gravy?

No, am trying to kill the stuff I eat where I can and haven't worked my way up to a cow yet.

Interesting. I presume you're giving your culinary quarries a sporting chance and using only your bare hands? Or have you invested in various traps, rifles and assorted paraphernalia?

If it is the bare handed approach, might I advise against contemplating wild boar, ostrich or geese for dinners? Or anything carnivorous that might end up turning the tables and having you for dinner, as I'd hate to see your mishap appear in the ironic deaths thread. :D

No gravy?

Interesting. I presume you're giving your culinary quarries a sporting chance and using only your bare hands? Or have you invested in various traps, rifles and assorted paraphernalia?

If it is the bare handed approach, might I advise against contemplating wild boar, ostrich or geese for dinners? Or anything carnivorous that might end up turning the tables and having you for dinner, as I'd hate to see your mishap appear in the ironic deaths thread. :D

It's my own version of the vegetarian ethic. So if things have had a fairly free life, living outside capitivity, they are fair game - swans for example (swan is pretty good eating). I want to avoid cultivated stuff. I went vegetarian for a couple of years because of my dislike of factory farming. But I always ate game. I prefer fish I have knocked on the head to the trawlered variety that have either died of suffocation or from their lungs bursting. Hunting stuff that can kill you is right up my street but I think shooting is a bit one sided. Still, I do it, but with no great relish and always eat the stuff I shoot.

Godot wrote:

It's my own version of the vegetarian ethic. So if things have had a fairly free life, living outside capitivity, they are fair game - swans for example (swan is pretty good eating). I want to avoid cultivated stuff. I went vegetarian for a couple of years because of my dislike of factory farming. But I always ate game. I prefer fish I have knocked on the head to the trawlered variety that have either died of suffocation or from their lungs bursting. Hunting stuff that can kill you is right up my street but I think shooting is a bit one sided. Still, I do it, but with no great relish and always eat the stuff I shoot.

It's amazing how one's perception of someone can change by reading one post.

I now have this mental image of you lurking in the bushes at dusk, top hat protruding & cigar between your lips, as you raise your rifle and swing a rabbit into your sights.

I'm heartened to learn that you always eat the stuff you shoot. Much more humane than throwing it back.

Godot wrote:

I now have this mental image of you lurking in the bushes at dusk, top hat protruding & cigar between your lips, as you raise your rifle and swing a rabbit into your sights.

I'm heartened to learn that you always eat the stuff you shoot. Much more humane than throwing it back.

I'm not really a shooter, just now and then and haven't yet shot a rabbit although I do like rabbit pie and jugged hare. I like to watch wildlife and put back most of the stuff I catch these days. But the American crayfish are endemic and are squeezing out all our nice little native crayfish (same issue as grey and red squirrels). I'm not into mass killing but I think one for the pot is OK.

same issue as grey and red squirrels

Hmmmm, grey squirrel....

regards,

Hein

There does seem to be a move, particularly in Britain, to make the produce you eat as unrecognisable as possible. Chicken nuggets, fish fingers, vegetables and meat over cooked to mask any flavour or texture.

I think where possible you should look into the eyes of what you are going to eat. The eyes of poultry, rabbit and fish give an indication of freshness, a bit difficult with larger animals but if you get to know your local farmer this is also possible. It makes it more difficult to waste any of the animal after this, the offal, the fat, the bones, the blood. It has been killed to feed you, so at least you can do is cook it well and waste nothing. This process leads to inventiveness and is integral in all great cooking throughout the world. This did traditionally occur in Britain, black pudding, faggots, ox-tail, Newmarket sausages etc.

Whilst, I think, not having eyes, the process of eating oysters is particularly fine, the creature being alive as it enters your mouth, mmmmmm.......

I've always wanted to eat roast swan, how do I go about buying some - not even Waitrose sell it!!!

I've always wanted to eat roast swan, how do I go about buying some - not even Waitrose sell it!!!

First you have to kill it (and that's illegal). They don't kill them commercially any more, only "up" them, i.e. swan upping. The queen owns most of them, or has the right to own them apparently. The one I had was shot (in mistake for a goose, yes I know). I wouldn't want to try throttling one.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page384.asp

Godot wrote:

I'm not really a shooter, just now and then and haven't yet shot a rabbit although I do like rabbit pie and jugged hare. I like to watch wildlife and put back most of the stuff I catch these days. But the American crayfish are endemic and are squeezing out all our nice little native crayfish (same issue as grey and red squirrels). I'm not into mass killing but I think one for the pot is OK.

I am a shooter and I agree with you about one for the pot (and maybe one for the freezer as well, if I'm lucky). I hate the idea of mass killing, our club has a bag limit of 2 pheasants per gun per shoot. I eat most things i shoot but draw the line at vermin (unless I was starving!). I'm the same when it comes to fishing I put back most trout and all salmon, I hate killing just for the sake of killing!

I love your avatar, One Shot Paddy, I'm sure Mr Paisley would also be highly amused.

First you have to kill it (and that's illegal). They don't kill them commercially any more, only "up" them, i.e. swan upping. The queen owns most of them, or has the right to own them apparently. The one I had was shot (in mistake for a goose, yes I know). I wouldn't want to try throttling one.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page384.asp

but when avian flu gets here properly you won't have to kill any swans. You'll be able to just fish a dead one out of your local pond, pop it in the oven and hey presto - it will be time for your swansong... <_<

I love your avatar, One Shot Paddy, I'm sure Mr Paisley would also be highly amused.

I laughed when I found it but thought the joke may be a bit too local. :(

I prefer fish I have knocked on the head to the trawlered variety that have either died of suffocation or from their lungs bursting..

Fish stocks must be bad if trawlers are targeting lungfish now.

Make mine a sushi lung please! mmm-hmmm. :(