Paul Bearer

Ched Evans

What confuses me most is the appeal procedure. As in most continental European jurisdictions, appeal is an undeniable right in criminal (and most civil and administrative) cases. In Dutch law an appeal involves a new case at a higher court, in which all evidence (and possibly new) is heard and evaluated and the earlier verdict is of no particular value.

The jury's verdict defies logic in many ways. I suppose there are legal reasons why an appeal was denied, but quality of the verdict can't have been one of them.

Dutch law practice isn't immune to miscarriage of justice. Criminal cases are held before magistrate judges, who are legal scholars who additionally trained for the job. Criminal courts normally have three judges (one for petty crimes), appeal courts five, who decide by simple majority on guilt of the accused and sentence if applicable.

From the last two decade I remember at least four murder cases in which innocents were convicted to long gaol sentences. In one case the appeals court affirmed a verdict (18 years + involuntary commitment) on circumstantial evidence only, while he didn't match descriptions from witnesses and no DNA of his was found on the crime scene. The convict was released after 4 years, after another man confessed the murder to the police. The other man was convicted on a DNA match. The first convict was never formally acquitted.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

You need balls to commit suicide - and this vile little turd doesn't have any.

Hang 'em high Lardy?

IMO he allegedly done the crime and he's done the time. He should be allowed to go back to his trade, in this case footie. If johnny anonymous ( a plumber/labourer/ electrician etc) did the same, and was released back into society, I don't think he'd be hounded as much as ched has been.

You make a valid point. In my unimportant opinion, formed from interviews he has given and the transcript of the appeal posted previously, he's a cunt and she's a slag, so they probably each got what they deserved.

You make a valid point. In my unimportant opinion, formed from interviews he has given and the transcript of the appeal posted previously, he's a cunt and she's a slag, so they probably each got what they deserved.

:clap: