DevonDeathTrip

From Cleric To Relic

A. Theodore Eastman, former bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland who was a proponent of same-sex unions and gay rights, died Thursday at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington from Parkinson’s disease.  The former Guilford resident was 89.

SC

Came across this guy looking for Cup team members....but he was just a priest, nothing noteworthy so I had to pass him by.

The Rev. Michael Wagner, 48, died Wednesday morning Wednesday morning, three weeks after a cerebral aneurysm ruptured while he was celebrating morning Massat the Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Tacoma. He had been in a Tacoma hospital since.

SC

Ethiopian pastor Docho Eshete, killed by a crocodile while conducting a mass baptism in a lake.

• Haha 1

On 11/04/2018 at 12:08, Sir Creep said:

A popular name a couple months ago, Luis Palau has God on his side, and tests indicate he is on the mend.

"Earlier this year, Vision News reported that evangelist Luis Palau had been diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer.

After two months of therapy for the cancer the doctors were amazed at the results from the recent CT scan and blood work.  Doctors reported that all tumours had shrunk by one-third, and blood tests looked good.  There were no new tumours and all fluid around the lungs was resolved.  The results were so uncommon that Mr Palau said the family is giving glory to God -- but not trusting God 100%, Luis now begins another two months of chemotherapy.
SC

In the latest 'nothing to see here' installment, the Family Palau asks for continued prayers during continued chemo.
HOW EVVAH....

"In a recent interview Andrew said that his father (Luis) feels confident about his place in the afterlife and he is still 'strong as can be.'

'He can't wait to get there in a way, [but] don't count him out yet,' Andrew Palau said. 'Every day is like gold. We got to maximize every day and take advantage and we've done so. Thank the Lord we have no regrets,' he added.

Rather strange 'end of life' focus in those comments, imo.  I thought Luis was pretty much out of the woods, but now it appears he is sitting in a tree stand.

SC

Apparently Father Thomas Keating is currently in hospice care. Should have a decent shot at a QO: he was one of the key proponents of the "centering prayer" movement, a kinda Christian take on meditation that is pretty controversial in some ecclesiastic circles. A 2014 documentary about him got reviews in most major American news outlets.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2018 at 05:30, Spade_Cooley said:

Apparently Father Thomas Keating is currently in hospice care. Should have a decent shot at a QO: he was one of the key proponents of the "centering prayer" movement, a kinda Christian take on meditation that is pretty controversial in some ecclesiastic circles. A 2014 documentary about him got reviews in most major American news outlets.

Would be great if you linked to the important part of your post,  

5 hours ago, arrowsmith said:

Former Catholic Bishop of Helena and later Archbishop of Seattle Raymond Hunthausen dead at 96. Last living American bishop to attend all the sessions of Vatican II. Quite the controversial figure in his time. 

https://www.ncronline.org/news/people/raymond-hunthausen-retired-archbishop-seattle-dies-age-96

1. Sonovabitch there goes a sleeper pick .

2. Interesting that National Catholic Reporter web address looks like it says Necro Online 

I had suggested Hunthausen before, somewhere on this forum. I can't see a Daily Mail/AP obit yet, and I wonder if they've cut down a little on that.

It would explain why Lindy Remigino surprisingly didn’t get a U.K. obit, among others...

Just now, Joey Russ said:

It would explain why Lindy Remigino surprisingly didn’t get a U.K. obit, among others...

Yes, that was what triggered my suspicion. But we haven't had a typical "US senator from the 70s" death to confirm it, lately.

If so, we might lose a lot of football /baseball types.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

Yes, that was what triggered my suspicion. But we haven't had a typical "US senator from the 70s" death to confirm it, lately.

If so, we might lose a lot of football /baseball types.

More surprising, as he's the answer to one of the Times Daily Quizzes within the last two months, so a name they expect their audience to know.

I'd give that one time yet, though.

• Like 1

As I said before (though maybe not on here), worst case scenario for Remigino is him not getting one till a BBC end of the year type articles...

EDIT: I think Heimel had an AP obit as well...

6 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I had suggested Hunthausen before, somewhere on this forum. I can't see a Daily Mail/AP obit yet, and I wonder if they've cut down a little on that.

He got one now.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Good to see they’ve time to draft an obit for some run of the mill Bishop, but the fastest man on the planet, well..... 

Hey it’s YOUR local press, I’m just stating facts for the annals.  

SC