Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Might James Hunt's ex-wife Sarah Lomax scrape a mention in the Mail or the Express if and when she goes? A pretty woman with a bald head; they love that level of bravery.

• Like 1

Might James Hunt's ex-wife Sarah Lomax scrape a mention in the Mail or the Express if and when she goes? A pretty woman with a bald head; they love that level of bravery.

Oh aye, Mail and Express are nailed on here. She's a fighter, mind, and only 54; so I'd rate her chances about as good as her ex-husband and his mates surviving a season of F1 back in their day.

No link yet but George Bignotti, who won a record 7 Indy 500 as chief mechanic (the last coming in 1983), has died at the age of 97

Dario Franchitti has had a very poor season, it nearly ended the same way as his friends Wheldon & Moore today. Lucky enough it seems he's got (relatively) minor back injuries plus a small ankle fracture.

Best news is that the 13 fans have been reported to be only suffering from superficial injuries, and having seen the fence and a wheel go flying into the grandstand that's a minor miracle.

Yet another example of cheese-grater fences doing the basics of the job of keeping the car out of the crowd, but surely there's got to be something better.

From another website:

http://www.click2hou...-/prix1-png.jpg

prix1-png.jpg

• Like 2

Dario Franchitti has had a very poor season, it nearly ended the same way as his friends Wheldon & Moore today. Lucky enough it seems he's got (relatively) minor back injuries plus a small ankle fracture.

Best news is that the 13 fans have been reported to be only suffering from superficial injuries, and having seen the fence and a wheel go flying into the grandstand that's a minor miracle.

Yet another example of cheese-grater fences doing the basics of the job of keeping the car out of the crowd, but surely there's got to be something better.

From another website:

http://www.click2hou...-/prix1-png.jpg

prix1-png.jpg

Nice to see members of the crowd getting their safety priorities right and making sure they don't drop their camera phones!

• Like 1

Murray Walker at 90 - seems to be doing all right.

Did he really say "Fire! Fire! Diniz in the oven!"?

No, Diniz in the Oven was a tabloid headline from the day after. The usual level of fact-checking by the BBC there

• Like 1

Guest Drexl

Maria de Villota, former test driver for Marussia has died at the age of 33

Very sad and sudden. "Found dead in hotel room" sounds ominous but they're assuming it was natural. Hope it's just a sudden illness or something

• Like 1

Very sad and sudden. "Found dead in hotel room" sounds ominous but they're assuming it was natural. Hope it's just a sudden illness or something

She was really attractive and with long hair she looked a little like maria sharapova. Thought maybe she topped herself after the damage the accident did to her face and who knows what damage to her brain.

But seems to be natural causes,probably connected to the accident i would guess.

It's a terrible shame and I feel desperately sorry for her father in particular. I know how pained he was when she lost her eye - as a racing father, he felt guilty that having followed his path career-wise that she suffered so much for it. I hope he continues in the sport, he's done a lot for young Spaniard racers in particular.

Personally, I think it's probably something to do with the accident - a clot or something that has become more lethal than normal because of the injuries she sustained.

Of course, you can never tell, but I'd be very surprised if it was suicide - she had too much to live for and too much life IMO to top herself.

Confirmed as "natural causes" via news sources tonight, though nobody is saying which natural cause killed her.

Autopsy says that cause of death was due to "detachment of brain mass", likely a hidden injury from her 2012 crash.

Autopsy says that cause of death was due to "detachment of brain mass", likely a hidden injury from her 2012 crash.

Crash injuries being widely reported as reason for death now. OoO can doubtless enlighten us a little more but I'm guessing this is a sad case of her being given an opportunity at the edge of her ability because a poorly financed team could see the publicity value of a woman in the car. I'm also assuming most teams have budget to test on tracks and other places where the trucks and cars are separated. Duxford has no other F1 fatalities linked to it, does it? All this came about because she accelerated when she should have been slamming on the brakes, which might just have been a minor error on her part that would have resulted in some jumping out of the way and general swearing if she'd been pulling into the pits at Silverstone. right?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24505702

Pretty much. The tributes have been rather generous, as ever - she wasn't a particularly talented driver and was there because of her wealthy family; her father drove in F1 in the 1980s as a result of this as well. Duxford is just a runway used for straight line testing. The accident was probably the result of an error by her

This is the problem for women in motorsport - yes, some are making their way up the ladder but many of them aren't very good and are only progressing because sponsors see the publicity value. We shouldn't dehumanise pay drivers because they are trying to do the best they can the same as any other driver, but at the same time we can't really get around the fact that some of them are potentially a danger because they're competing against much faster drivers. Hopefully with the exposure coming from the likes of Susie Stoddart/Wolff and De Villota, there will be a new generation of female drivers that can compete in Europe. We already have Danica Patrick and Simona de Silvestro doing well in the US on merit, and some have done well in endurance racing where outright speed isn't as much of an issue. So it's only a matter of time before a genuinely talented female driver makes it to F1 on merit

Is it worth having with a few slower female drivers hanging around the margins of F1, showing themselves off as female F1 drivers without showing the public that they're not very good? Probably, as long as that's how far it goes. While it may have been De Villota's error that caused the accident, that doesn't necessarily mean it's her fault - maybe there was some kind of procedural error or someone didn't explain something. I doubt we'll ever know because Marussia haven't said much at all about the accident, but we may soon find out as the De Villota family are considering legal action against Duxford (and I'd not be surprised if they took legal action against Marussia now as well)

Said it before, and I'll say it again - women aren't good enough at motorsport to bother trying to compete at the top level. They are often (not always) there because of family links, or having a massive amount of money to waste trying to prove a point that will never be proven.

Said it before, and I'll say it again - women aren't good enough at motorsport to bother trying to compete at the top level. They are often (not always) there because of family links, or having a massive amount of money to waste trying to prove a point that will never be proven.

Sexist pig. I have a good mind to report you to Barbara Ellen and Julie Bindel...

Sexist pig. I have a good mind to report you to Barbara Ellen and Julie Bindel...

You go ahead, I'm busy doing the ironing. Where I belong :D

PS I had to google those two, never heard of them. The fat lesbian one would never reach top flight in F1 or MotoGP. It's all about the weight ratios, or summat.

• Like 1

Bit harsh Lardy; the new weight limit in F1 might positively discriminate in favour of female drivers. I read an intelligent and interesting interview with Susie Wolff recently in which she pointed out that almost all her fitness training is endurance based stuff designed to keep her concentration and fitness levels up so's she can cope with with the physical demands of the job. The point being that whilst enduring the G forces and the "sitting in a cement mixer" experience (as Nigel Mansell used to describe it) is about strength an F1 driver only has to be strong enough to sustain F1 levels of G force: and women can get into that territory. Beyond that it's experience, talent, racecraft and every other variable including the car and sponsors. I think it's more likely than ever that we'll see competitive women in F1 in the future and probably not too long (given that about 40% of the field scores points these days), that a female driver will snag a full point and someone will ring Lella Lombardi for a comment.

someone will ring Lella Lombardi for a comment.

Well, that'll be a waste of a phone call, as she's been dead 20 years or so.

No shit, didn't know that. Just Googled it. Cancer, aged 50.

No shit, didn't know that. Just Googled it. Cancer, aged 50.

Proves my point. Women are useless :D

• Like 3