Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Sebastian Bourdais into hospital after a 200mph smash in Indy 500 practice. Was conscious when freed from what was left of the car, but no idea what nick he is in.

Re Hayden - this little YouTube montage chronicles the accident - one of those tributes that's so tasteless in its use of accident shots it's hard to fathom the real motivation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf93-LPdfEw

On 5/17/2017 at 10:47, Spade_Cooley said:

2006 MotoGP champ Nicky Hayden apparently in critical condition following an accident in Italy. 

So I'm confused (what's new).  Senor Hayden rides a bicycle?  I am asking due to his inclusion in a thread strictly about auto racing.  
OH....I see....Motocross.....motorcycles.  Got it.  Nice photo in the article then SMFH.

No, back to semi-confusion (dont mind the numerous edits).  OK, so he WAS riding a bike.  But he IS a motorcycle racer.  GOT IT.  
I need coffee or more sleep.
SC

52 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

So I'm confused (what's new).  Senor Hayden rides a bicycle?  I am asking due to his inclusion in a thread strictly about auto racing.  
OH....I see....Motocross.....motorcycles.  Got it.  Nice photo in the article then SMFH.

No, back to semi-confusion (dont mind the numerous edits).  OK, so he WAS riding a bike.  But he IS a motorcycle racer.  GOT IT.  
SC

He's getting enough sleep for both of you

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

He's a former MotoGP World Champion and is currently riding in the World Superbike Championship, which I'm pretty sure I said up there somewhere.  Although sadly looks he won't be riding again. 

• Like 1

Hayden's family are releasing updates - according to the online stuff this morning he "remains critical"

Just edited this - really sad news

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

He's a former MotoGP World Champion and is currently riding in the World Superbike Championship, which I'm pretty sure I said up there somewhere.  Although sadly looks he won't be riding again. 

Sorry to inform: Dead.

Edit: Mercarte beat me to it.  

That's really sad and right up there in painful and unexpected deaths with Mike Hailwood crashing his car on the way to the chip shop having survived motorcycling and F1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Valentino Rossi injured in a training incident very close to where Hayden had his accident last week. La Stampa has no confirmation on his condition as yet, but it's not thought to be serious.

No fractures or serious injuries but hope he's fit for his home race in Mugello, binning it in the final seconds of the last race did not do his 10th world championship any good at all so he needs the points! 

That is sad.Definitely a Deathlisty name.

• Like 1

Plus a red flag during practice later so could be another.

Is this event only fun because they know it could be their turn this year?

• Like 1

Beat me to it, and I think Guy Martin should stay away from that  new blade its not right!

Three racers dead in a day! The chocking game is safer than this race.

Martin Brundle has been taken ill at the British Grand Prix, he suffered a minor heart attack a little over a year ago and has had heart surgery since then.

EDIT: Sky confirm he won't take part in today's broadcast

On 07/06/2017 at 21:20, dirtracer18 said:

I love how someone put an extra column in the Wikipedia page listing the fatalities because they know someone else is about to buy it.

That's quite a feat of scholarship right there - separate tables for bystanders, race officials etc. A fair tonnage of fatalities too. If you were - like - a funeral director thereabouts you'd have to ban all leave for emalmers during the TT races.

Bernard Consten meant to have died via French wiki. Drove these bad boys in the 50's

250px-Festival_automobile_international_