maryportfuncity

Fats Domino

It was emotional. There were a lot of people crying," said Quint Davis, of the city's Jazz and Heritage Festival.

From the story linked above. Notably the one thing nobody says is that it was any good. A lot of 'great to see him back' not much of 'he's still got it.'

From the story linked above. Notably the one thing nobody says is that it was any good. A lot of 'great to see him back' not much of 'he's still got it.'

For my honesty I doubt you would find me tuning in on Fats Domino but 'His return' meant more then his actual 'performance' Your points are very clear but you don't want to take anything out of context. But obviously on a come back the last thing anyone will say is 'Please let your blues career just drop dead'

From the article:

"Domino's house, studio and office are currently under reconstruction"

That is a clear example of 'tempting fate'

It aint over till Fats stops singing.

Guest WEP

So, Herbert and Dino received now their first comments for 2008. Fats Domino is now one of three people left, who received their last comment in 2007, together with Dead Throat and Jake Lamorte...

Is Fats still in town? If so, and if he chooses to stay, he could be in for another batering if Hurricane Gustav has anything to say about it.

Personally I think its unlikely that he would choose to stay and ride out the storm, but you never know...

Antoine (a.k.a. Fats) who as recently as February 26 turned 82 doesn't seem to be making any waves healthwiise, although still broken up by the woeful passing of his old pal Bobby Charles, who was a few years younger than our sugar man.

His health seems decent, having survived Katrina and the waves :sicktherm: I'm sincerely hoping we can get another 29 years from him.

Guest Summer

Fats is alive and well in New Orleans. 8/29/2010

When does the hurricane season end?

But as I understand it Fats is no longer living in his own house down in "The Lower 9th Ward". That place looks fixed-up but that whole area was the worst hit part 5 years ago.

I was looking at a whole load of pictures on Google Earth only the other day - still a real mess. So sad that these people seem locked into living a number of metres below sea level. My idea would be to re-house all these folks and turn this poorest of areas into a marina and give them a free boat and mooring rights too.

But as I understand it he is no longer living in his own house down in "The Lower 9th Ward". That place looks fixed-up but that whole area was the worst hit part 5 years ago.

I was looking at a whole load of pictures on Google Earth only the other day - still a real mess. So sad that these people seem locked into living a number of metres below sea level. My idea would be to re-house all these folks and turn this poorest of areas into a marina and give them a free boat and mooring rights too.

I live a number of metres (one, to be precise) below sea level. It doesn't bother me much, although I'm aware that my home might flood. Your idea won't work well in the Netherlands, since those parts that lie below sea level (about a third of its area) happen to be the most densely populated and economically must valuable. We rather pay for engineering solutions.

Of course global warming and sea level rise may force us to adopt your solution. When we run out of Lebensraum, we can always invade Germany.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Antoine who is plodding towards his 85th birthday next February has seemingly disappeared again, likely starting plans for a tour of the 7 continents.

Antoine who is plodding towards his 85th birthday next February has seemingly disappeared again, likely starting plans for a tour of the 7 continents.

Where's a good venue to play in the Antarctic?

• Like 1

Some Fats-related characters who are getting up there:

Engineer/studio owner Cosimo Matassa, 87.

Producer Dave Bartholomew, 92.

Fellow Louisiana R&B singer Lloyd 'Lawdy Miss Clawdy' Price, 80.

Fats was in the TV series Treme last year, so hopefully not boogie-woogieing off just yet.

Domino do his thang like I do my thang. He a n**a I can chill wit.

Quite.

Although, I am slightly suspicious of any self confessed 'n**a' who appears to lack the basic knowledge of the number of letters in even the contracted form of their chosen sobriquet.

Forgive me if your nickname is 'Nana' and I have misunderstood.

• Like 2

His long-time drummer Smokey Johnson has died at 78 after a long illness:

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2015/10/smokey_johnson_fats_domino_dru.html

Johnson also wrote the Mardi Gras classic 'It Ain't My Fault'.

Just about to post this myself.

Here he is getting a star turn with the Dave Bartholomew Band on Portrait Of A Drummer: https://youtu.be/20bYezCNlMI

Fuck off, you're David Cameron, right?

Well nobody and I mean "nobody" is Fats Domino. No matter what your blues are in New Orleans or anywhere.

Saxophonist Herb Hardesty, heard on most of Fats' recordings, has died aged 91. http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/herb-hardesty-best-known-as-fats-dominos-saxophonist-dies-at-91/362631252

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Hardesty

Ain't that a shame...

Just an FYI I almost never click on these 2016Names links and I can't be alone in that. IOW 99% of what's posted here is banter--not even health updates--and I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about any of these folks on DL, so I mark as read and move on.

Please don't bury an obit here, especially when the person is of repute.

That is all.

SC