millwall32

Alex Higgins (And Snooker)

From what I've read and remember, snooker was televised mostly when the tournament reached the last 16. Medati only ever reached the last 16 three times in his career, so it's not surprising he's not remembered.

• Like 1

Just as a postscript to David Vine's death, here is an article about the phasing out of Clive Everton's commentary for BBC which has a quote from the great man himself on the situation.

Two days later, he died....

It was mentioned during the mid-session interval that John Street, referee of many a World final, also died recently.... ;)

I was half expecting that the next time Alex Higgins was in the news, it would be because he'd died. Not so, he's still playing snooker and raising hell.

Former world snooker champion Alex Higgins caused a furore at an exhibition match in Athy after threatening the refereee and spectators and having a go at a ten-year-old boy leaving him in tears.The troubled 'Hurricane', well-known for both his on and off the table antics, was playing an exhibition match against Jimmy White at the Carlton Abbey Hotel on Thursday, 12 February. It is reported that he threatened the refereee of the match saying he would stick his cue "up your arse". He also threatened to smash a snooker ball into a spectator's face and to destroy the digital camera of another. At an earlier match against a local opponent he left a ten-year-old boy in tears after he chastised him for "distracting" him.

I was half expecting that the next time Alex Higgins was in the news, it would be because he'd died. Not so, he's still playing snooker and raising hell.

Former world snooker champion Alex Higgins caused a furore at an exhibition match in Athy after threatening the refereee and spectators and having a go at a ten-year-old boy leaving him in tears.The troubled 'Hurricane', well-known for both his on and off the table antics, was playing an exhibition match against Jimmy White at the Carlton Abbey Hotel on Thursday, 12 February. It is reported that he threatened the refereee of the match saying he would stick his cue "up your arse". He also threatened to smash a snooker ball into a spectator's face and to destroy the digital camera of another. At an earlier match against a local opponent he left a ten-year-old boy in tears after he chastised him for "distracting" him.

He did exactly the same at the Clapham snooker club in the 80s and had to protected as he was removed from the club. On the back of this, I arranged an exhibition at the Elephant and Castle and, as a result, had eveyone I sold a ticket asking me if they'd get a refund for a "no show", which was another regular habit of his...the answer was "yes", but it was little more difficult to guarantee he'd not turn stroppy. However, those with reservations said aftewards that it was the best snooker exhibition they'd ever seen.

I suppose that's what being mercurial is all about....brilliant or shite (as a person, more than a player.

Hi All,

First time on here, what a weird and wonderful site - well done you lot !!

The reason I'm on is as follows:-

I've been mooching about on facebook at friends photo's and noticed a friend had recently taken a photo of himself with Alex Higgins (Deathlist 2002).

He looks sooo bad, I struggled to recognise the poor fella.

If I could post the photo on here I would, but jeeez how awful, he looks like he's on death door for sure. Skin and Bone literally.

Hi All,

First time on here, what a weird and wonderful site - well done you lot !!

The reason I'm on is as follows:-

I've been mooching about on facebook at friends photo's and noticed a friend had recently taken a photo of himself with Alex Higgins (Deathlist 2002).

He looks sooo bad, I struggled to recognise the poor fella.

If I could post the photo on here I would, but jeeez how awful, he looks like he's on death door for sure. Skin and Bone literally.

Good call, Mass. Debating has been vigorous on the subject of Alex Higgins.

Welcome to DeathList, Mass, where only the dead are snookered.

As far as I'm concerned you can post the photo here, as long as it's OK with the copyright owner. We do like original research here.

BTW: posts moved.

regards,

Hein

AH HAHAHAHAHHA cheating fat prick

This 'gentleman' lives round the corner from me, and is a twat of the highest order.

Yes, he does come across a bit arrogant i must admit.

Tell us more Lard. What's he been up to to upset the locals?

Hmmm. On second thoughts I'll delete what I just wrote, and do it later at home from my anonymous lap top.

I would like to see alex higgins (snooker great) go onto the death list.I watched him in a tournament recently an he looks terrible.Too many years kicking the arse out of it has reduced the once great hurricane higgins to a mere fart in the breeze. any thoughts anyone

yeh i heard that an has jus clocked up another year on this rock.The thing is with Higgins i have a funny feeling he will live for years he is a fighter literally!

He's been living on borrowed time since about 1984, when he stepped in front of my car outside a snooker club in Chiswick. I was learning to drive at the time. Could have bagged Griff Rhys Jones, aswell, but that would have meant mounting the pavement to get him and he was pushing a pram at the time. My driving lessons were such fun!

Ha Ha i can imagine that Higgins pops up in the strangest of places like flying past my friends window with an umberella in his hand.Again higgins survived an think he will be with us for some time yet

A website has been launched, seeking donations to save the life of Alex Higgins, the sickest looking man on Earth.

www.savealexhiggins.co.uk

A website has been launched, seeking donations to save the life of Alex Higgins, the sickest looking man on Earth.

I suppose I could donate some vodka and fags..... :rolleyes:

I suppose I could donate some vodka and fags..... :rolleyes:

S'cuse the pedantry and tight fistedness but........

Is there any evidence in his behaviour over the last twenty years that he WANTS to be saved? I mean, George Best talked a good recovery but still hit the bottle with his new liver.

It doesn't strike me as the best name they could have come up with for that site (as noble as the cause may be). Help Alex Higgins by all means, but save?

I mean really, he's not even small and furry.

Bearing in mind today's newspaper reports (insert inverted commas where appropriate) should there also be a 'savejohnhiggins.co.uk' website?

• Like 1