Cowboy Ronnie

African Leaders - Despots and Democratic

He's not really a despot, but he is an African, and he's a political leader - Levy Mwanawasa is not a well chap..

It's worse than that. He's dead, Octopus.

Hmm, the headline currently reads: "Zambia denies President Mwanawasa is dead", and the story says he's fine, resting up nicely in bed, etc.

Too bad it's not 31 December, because this would be some low-hanging (and apparently quite rotten) fruit for DL pickers. Never heard of him.

It's the week for ridiculous African leader's names, as President Omar Bongo of Gabon made news when he defended President Mugabe's triumphant election win.

someone should beat him like a drum

Well, he was dead when I posted. Quite a remarkable recovery really.

Actually, if he is still going, it's good news. Mwanawasa is one of Africa's better leaders.

Levy Mwanawasa, has undergone more surgery today after a rapid deterioration in his health.

• Like 1

"Let us clearly remember that by the serious nature of our Republican president's illness, the healing process will indeed be long," Chituwo told MPs.

Assuming he's telling the truth - I know, I know, he IS a politician - this could be another Fidel Castro stylee long goodbye. Be interesting to see how many picks he gets if he makes it alive to qualify for the CPDP.

Thank you for that update , Devon , because Yar'Adua is my unique pick on DDP. Unfortunately, I did something I never do: look up a disease on the internet. Churg Strauss , despite sounding like a forgotten sib of Johann, isn't really something you want to deal with since it affects either the lungs and heart or kidney and liver. Per Wiki, it's always found in individuals with a previous history of allergies (yours truly). :P:sicktherm:

President Yar’Adua is currently in hospital in Saudi Arabia, his condition is said to be "serious".

Thank you for that update , Devon , because Yar'Adua is my unique pick on DDP. Unfortunately, I did something I never do: look up a disease on the internet. Churg Strauss , despite sounding like a forgotten sib of Johann, isn't really something you want to deal with since it affects either the lungs and heart or kidney and liver. Per Wiki, it's always found in individuals with a previous history of allergies (yours truly). :P:sicktherm:

President Yar’Adua is currently in hospital in Saudi Arabia, his condition is said to be "serious".

Thanks once again for the update, but....the way things are going I expect him to make a miraculous discovery, relapse on New Year's Eve, and then pop his clogs on January 1.

Former Sudanese President dies in Egypt

"Sudan's deposed former president Ahmed al-Mirghani has died at the age of 67 in Egypt.

Al-Mirghani was removed from power 19 years ago by a military coup that brought the current regime to power.

Sudan's news agency said late Sunday that al-Mirghani died in Alexandria where he was recuperating following a stroke."

(actually not a despot, as he was the last democratically elected leader of his country)

President Bingu wa Mutharika of Malawi has, in spite of many articles this year about his ill health, denied he is suffering from cancer.

In a letter to Bakili Muluzi, the previous Malawian President, he wrote:

I recently underwent a very thorough medical check-up and was given clean bill of health. I'm sure if you watch television, you will see how fit I am. I play golf and keep all my international engagements. Is this a sign of a person who is dying soon?

He then goes on to suggest that his predecessor is the ill one.

Your health has considerably deteriorated over the past two years. I am sure other citizens of Malawi also know about your medical condition. For instance, I know that you yourself are a very sick man. I am reliably informed that you have serious deterioration of your spinal cord and that you have pins inserted in the spinal cord to support your back," further reads the letter.

Mutharika says he also has information that Muluzi has cancer of the throat and that he sometimes experiences difficulties in speaking.

This is the sort of bulletin we could do with on a more regular basis. Looks like the splendidly named Omar Bongo Ondimba, President of Gabon, could be one to keep a close watch on, with some even suggesting he is HIV positive.

Gabonese president, Omar Bongo Ondimba, 73, who has spent about forty years as his country’s head, is said to be in a deplorable state. Some rumours even claim that he is HIV positive. But Omar Bongo Ondimba has rejected all rumours lock, stock and barrel.

Yar'Adua, Bouteflika, and Paul Biya of Cameroon also get a mention.

This is the sort of bulletin we could do with on a more regular basis. Looks like the splendidly named Omar Bongo Ondimba, President of Gabon, could be one to keep a close watch on, with some even suggesting he is HIV positive.

Gabonese president, Omar Bongo Ondimba, 73, who has spent about forty years as his country’s head, is said to be in a deplorable state. Some rumours even claim that he is HIV positive. But Omar Bongo Ondimba has rejected all rumours lock, stock and barrel.

Yar'Adua, Bouteflika, and Paul Biya of Cameroon also get a mention.

Our friend Omar Bongo is having a bit of a tough time of it lately. Not only has his nephew been charged with 'illicit enrichment', but now his wife has fallen gravely ill, lapsing into a coma, with doctors confidently predicting her demise. Even if his health problems as detailed above are wildly exaggerated, that sort of double whammy has got to take its toll on a supposedly sick 73 year old.

And as an additional African despot bonus, the wife in question, Edith Lucie Bongo, is also the daughter of Denis Sassou Nguesso, President of the Republic of the Congo.* One imminent death? Two corrupt, elderly African leaders about to lose a loved one? I make that Pimms O' Clock.

* No jokes please about Bongo and Congo being used in the same sentence. :lol:

And as an additional African despot bonus, the wife in question, Edith Lucie Bongo, is also the daughter of Denis Sassou Nguesso, President of the Republic of the Congo.* One imminent death? Two corrupt, elderly African leaders about to lose a loved one? I make that Pimms O' Clock.

Um....

Do they drink that way down deep in the middle of that particular neck of the woods?

:P

Um....

Do they drink that way down deep in the middle of that particular neck of the woods?

:P

You may need to ask the hippo that, although I believe he is currently busy with an apricot, a guava and a mango.

Not to forget the marmoset with the mandarin. Although of course technically the Marmoset is a 'New World monkey' and would never have been seen anywhere near the Congo, drinking delicious fruity drink or otherwise.

Shoddy research letting the side down there, Libbys.

President Bongo of Gabon is now in hospital in Spain. He is said to be in a serious condition, suffering from intestinal cancer.

Omar Bongo mort after only 41 years in office, behind only the King of Thailand and Lizzy in terms of his reign as state leader before his death. The good always die so young. :referee:

Either the French media are 'doing a Swayze' or the Gabonese government is in denial. Host country Spain is also voting for alive.

Bongo update: absolutely positively 100% dead. Probably.

This is clearly a bad year for the Bongo family.

I wonder if anyone will get the "Death by Bongo" bonus on the Hartlepool Deadlypool?

President Bongo of Gabon is now in hospital in Spain. He is said to be in a serious condition, suffering from intestinal cancer.

Omar Bongo mort after only 41 years in office, behind only the King of Thailand and Lizzy in terms of his reign as state leader before his death. The good always die so young. :referee:

Perhaps it was just a petite mort. Has anyone checked the wardrobe?

I wonder if anyone will get the "Death by Bongo" bonus on the Hartlepool Deadlypool?

Yes, indeed - Omar, Edith & Ali.

Will Um be next? :referee:

Yes, indeed - Omar, Edith & Ali.

Will Um be next? :rolleyes:

Ali Bongo has been duly 'elected' leader of Pong-Tiddley-Pongoland. Among the wide-reaching reforms he intends to introduce are the Uju Buju Suck Another Juju act and the Hocus Pocus Fishbones Chokus laws.

President Umaru Yar’Adua of Nigeria, who has been mentioned before, is believed to have been diagnosed with a rare incurable condition called Churg-Strauss Syndrome. He was flown out of the country to Germany last weekend after "suffering swellings all over his body".

President Umaru - obviously still suffering from that intriguing swelling-disease - is urged to resign. There are fears that his frequent absence will destabilize Nigerian government.

In a statement, Information Minister Dora Akunyili said the cabinet had met and had "unanimously resolved" that the president "has not been found incapable of discharging his functions".

She said: "Council wishes to inform all Nigerians that all organs of government are functioning and that government will continue to deliver."

Make that: all organs except Umaru's heart, liver and kidneys.

Not sure where else to post this tasty little morsel but, Lord Baden Powell apparently carried out the illegal execution of a colonial prisoner.

Job done, eh?

President Umaru Yar’Adua of Nigeria, who has been mentioned before, is believed to have been diagnosed with a rare incurable condition called Churg-Strauss Syndrome. He was flown out of the country to Germany last weekend after "suffering swellings all over his body".

President Umaru - obviously still suffering from that intriguing swelling-disease - is urged to resign. There are fears that his frequent absence will destabilize Nigerian government.

In a statement, Information Minister Dora Akunyili said the cabinet had met and had "unanimously resolved" that the president "has not been found incapable of discharging his functions".

She said: "Council wishes to inform all Nigerians that all organs of government are functioning and that government will continue to deliver."

Make that: all organs except Umaru's heart, liver and kidneys.

A delegation of politicians are travelling to Saudi Arabia to check on the condition of their ailing President.

Some Nigerians aren't convinced by his BBC interview.

• Like 1