Death Watch Beatle

Muhammad Ali

I appear to have inadverdently edited BuriedinCarolinas post instead of reply to it.How did I do that?!

No, the new editor made a mess of the quote. That thing's ghastly.

Posts merged and quote fixed.

regards,

Hein

73 Today! :birthday::birthday2:

Indeed, and worth celebrating!

• Like 1

Well, of course he should be up there.

Mary Tyler Moore, King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz, Terry Pratchett, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Mikhail Gorbachev, Stephen Hawking, Francis Cardinal George, Pope Benedict XVI too.

They missed a lot of good candidates.

Mary Tyler Moore, King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz, Terry Pratchett, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Mikhail Gorbachev, Stephen Hawking, Francis Cardinal George, Pope Benedict XVI too.

But you didn't mention Peter Sutclifffe

Ayatollah and Cardinal George? Purely 100% hindsight glasses you are wearing. No one beats up DL more than me but even I don't fault them for facts that were unknown January 1.

Abdullah will be the biggest miss this year. Pratchett right up there.

The rest aren't going to die I 2015 and would have no business on DL. Rules are they gotta drop 50% of previous year's names... So if Pratchett and Hawking were gone that's why. Keep in mind DL got a hit w Nimoy who replaced one of those missing.

Damn I sound like a DL apologist now.

Sir C

Muhammed Ali already has his own thread, it's pointless creating another one for him.

• Like 1

It's very possible Cardinal George will not get the required obit if/when he passes. The DL comittee usually avoids people that marginal

Francis George will get a UK obit no doubt since despite his retirement and the finicky nature of many cardinal obits he hails from one of the biggest cities in America, thus a shoo-in for some Mail coverage at the very least. Though I agree he doesn't feel like a DL pick.

It's very possible Cardinal George will not get the required obit if/when he passes. The DL comittee usually avoids people that marginal

No obit is required. The DL doesn't have to operate by the rules of the DDP, or any other dead pools.

No obit is required. The DL doesn't have to operate by the rules of the DDP, or any other dead pools.

Yeah, the DL has a set of rules of its own, distinct from the DDP rules, but these include a "requirement" that the candidate should be famous enough "such that their death is expected to be reported by the UK media". Once they're on the list, they are considered a "hit" if they die, regardless of the number of obits, but people would still whine if one of the listed people died without an obit (in the mainstream media), since it'd prove that they weren't famous enough and that their inclusion was a mistake. Arguably, it'd damage the credibility and standing of the committee and the site itself (more than the low number of hits in an unlucky year), so they'd only pick people who are 101%, beyond-a-reasonable-doubt obit-worthy.

And you'd still find some people whining if they are not household names, like in the case of Fergie Frederiksen. On the other hand, if they miss a big household name like Ali, people would whine even harder, even if no one knew much more than rumours in December.

Edited by GossipGabe

Yeah, the DL has a set of rules of its own, distinct from the DDP rules, but these include a "requirement" that the candidate should be famous enough "such that their death is expected to be reported by the UK media". Once they're on the list, they are considered a "hit" if they die, regardless of the number of obits, but people would still whine if one of the listed people died without an obit (in the mainstream media), since it'd prove that they weren't famous enough and that their inclusion was a mistake. Arguably, it'd damage the credibility and standing of the committee and the site itself (more than the low number of hits in an unlucky year), so they'd only pick people who are 101%, beyond-a-reasonable-doubt obit-worthy.

And you'd still find some people whining if they are not household names, like in the case of Fergie Frederiksen. On the other hand, if they miss a big household name like Ali, people would whine even harder, even if no one knew much more than rumours in December.

I don't think the DL committee give a toss about whiners.

• Like 1

Muhammad Ali welcomes Prince Charles to his hometown and says he's the greatest:

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2015-03-21/boxing-legend-muhammad-ali-prince-charles-is-the-greatest/

He couldn't meet him in person because he's too weak though.

Also, I never quite understood why Prince Charles' reputation is not the best.

Muhammad Ali welcomes Prince Charles to his hometown and says he's the greatest:

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2015-03-21/boxing-legend-muhammad-ali-prince-charles-is-the-greatest/

Seriously?

How old are you?

Where do you want me to start?

Seriously?

How old are you?

Charles and Camilla is a real love story with happy end! Also, Charles is an old hippy and probably votes green.

Seriously?

How old are you?

Charles and Camilla is a real love story with happy end! Also, Charles is an old hippy and probably votes green.

Charles probably doesn't vote at all; although the RF have the right to vote, they don't exercise it, so as to remain politically neutral. Besides which, Natalie Bennett, the Green party leader, wants to do away with the monarchy.

Besides which, Natalie Bennett, the Green party leader, wants to do away with the monarchy.

Perhaps so does Charles.

Maybe, maybe just the current one.

Besides which, Natalie Bennett, the Green party leader, wants to do away with the monarchy.

Perhaps so does Charles.

I could believe that!

Seriously?

How old are you?

Yes that old familiar love story where out of a misplaced sense of honour a guy allows the woman he (supposedly) loves to marry his pal shack up with a brood mare 15 years his junior and subjects her a miserable marriage whilst cuckolding his pal until he finally drives away his wife and then she conveniently dies/is killed (delete as appropriate if you are Muhammed Al Fayad) and then they finally marry so she can care for him as he descends into an eccentric pensionerhood still waiting to fulfill his destiny.

Why Disney haven't done that one I can only guess.

• Like 2

Seriously?

How old are you?

Yes that old familiar love story where out of a misplaced sense of honour a guy allows the woman he (supposedly) loves to marry his pal shack up with a brood mare 15 years his junior and subjects her a miserable marriage whilst cuckolding his pal until he finally drives away his wife and then she conveniently dies/is killed (delete as appropriate if you are Muhammed Al Fayad) and then they finally marry so she can care for him as he descends into an eccentric pensionerhood still waiting to fulfill his destiny.

Why Disney haven't done that one I can only guess.

Disney are still working on the animated story of a young black boxer who makes his way in the world by punching people in the head and getting punched back in the head until he lives out his life, rich but unable to string two words together and quivering like a pensioner who's just about to have his winter fuel allowance means tested.

Some source other than the National Enquirer talking about Ali's health:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/muhammad-ali-health-deteriorating-manager-article-1.2424317

I'd put him on the Death List, just a feeling.

Ali surely can't go on for much longer, he is getting weaker and weaker and age is catching up with him, both his parents died in there mid 70's the age Muhammad Ali is approaching. I would be amazed if Ali is still alive in 5 years time, so i think he is a must on the Death List as who knows 2016 could be the year he finally snuffs it, it would be a monumental miss for the Death List if he died and he wasn't on the list better to be safe than sorry, although it will be a sad, sad day when he does go as the man is a legend.

Some source other than the National Enquirer talking about Ali's health:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/muhammad-ali-health-deteriorating-manager-article-1.2424317

I'd put him on the Death List, just a feeling.

Ali surely can't go on for much longer, he is getting weaker and weaker and age is catching up with him, both his parents died in there mid 70's the age Muhammad Ali is approaching. I would be amazed if Ali is still alive in 5 years time, so i think he is a must on the Death List as who knows 2016 could be the year he finally snuffs it, it would be a monumental miss for the Death List if he died and he wasn't on the list better to be safe than sorry, although it will be a sad, sad day when he does go as the man is a legend.

Seriously, this is a Monkey Tennis moment.

We need somebody to pitch an Ali V Hawking fight to some exec on the Dave Channel.

This could be what we have all been waiting for.

• Like 1