Windsor

Derby Dead Pool 2007

Well done guys. Site is looking good

5 unique hits. Not bad....

Can't wait to see what the whole site looks like if this is only half the teams. Well done SB & RK!

and it looks like no-one picked Kollek, Bezzerides or that boxer.

When the other 300+ teams are uploaded you might not still have 5 unique picks.

If the DDP continues in its popularity next year, there may be 700+ teams. It might be time for a cap on the number of entrants otherwise the uploading might not be completed until mid February. That would be ridiculous.

Unless entries had to be in earlier, maybe allow three subs rather than one?

I can't see RK and SB spending Christmas working on the DDP, they either need to restrict numbers or get more help, possibly professional. this could be paid for by say a £1.00 administration charge for all entrants.

That'd be one way of reducing the number of entrants.

I can't see RK and SB spending Christmas working on the DDP, they either need to restrict numbers or get more help, possibly professional. this could be paid for by say a £1.00 administration charge for all entrants.

I wouldn't object to an admin fee

Isn't there a legal problem with payment? I think it is because they are using some sort of free software (I know nothing about making websites).

I suggested to Rude Kid that they should consider getting more people involved but he said their current software only allows one person to work at it at any one time. To get more people working at it they would need an upgrade but they don't really want to pay for one. The problem with getting the members to pay would be the resulting drop in membership which would make the whole upgrade a real waste of time, effort and money.

Or at least that's my take.

Isn't there a legal problem with payment? I think it is because they are using some sort of free software (I know nothing about making websites).

I suggested to Rude Kid that they should consider getting more people involved but he said their current software only allows one person to work at it at any one time. To get more people working at it they would need an upgrade but they don't really want to pay for one. The problem with getting the members to pay would be the resulting drop in membership which would make the whole upgrade a real waste of time, effort and money.

Or at least that's my take.

Maybe get a big Funeral Director's to sponsor the site???

Why not have a merger between DDP and this site?

Deathlist.net virtually incorporates the DDP.... :o

If the DDP continues in its popularity next year, there may be 700+ teams. It might be time for a cap on the number of entrants otherwise the uploading might not be completed until mid February. That would be ridiculous.

If anyone else picked Les Leston, Hans Ruesch & Jimmy Langley I'll eat my hat. :o

I'm sure there are people that would love to help for free - I'd be one. Even if it was checking spreadsheets or something or helping with data or team info - in other words the donkey work, whilst the computer wizards do all the fangdangly stuff.

Either that, or limit it to 500 teams. If nothing else, that would mean entries would be in earlier, which might mean the site would be updated earlier.

But see what the boys think. Once it's up, it'll be another fine bit of work.

Oh, and CP, Bezzerides is still missing an obit, isn't that right? So, that's 4 we have to look out for? (internet bloke, Smyth, Bezza & Hamilton?)

If anyone else picked Les Leston, Hans Ruesch & Jimmy Langley I'll eat my hat. :o

I'm sure there are people that would love to help for free - I'd be one. Even if it was checking spreadsheets or something or helping with data or team info - in other words the donkey work, whilst the computer wizards do all the fangdangly stuff.

Either that, or limit it to 500 teams. If nothing else, that would mean entries would be in earlier, which might mean the site would be updated earlier.

Oh, and CP, Bezzerides is still missing an obit, isn't that right? So, that's 4 we have to look out for? (internet bloke, Smyth, Bezza & Hamilton?)

I'd gladly help - I love stats me!

On the subject of Smyth, it might be that his death notice maybe in the papers but not on the net. I'm still holding out for an obit (most likely, if at all in the Times/Guardian), but if not on the net, can anyone help by looking at their newspapers from Friday/Saturday. Even dare I say, the Daily Mail/Express. All it needs to be is a little column in the Sports section...thanks! :lol:

If anyone else picked Les Leston, Hans Ruesch & Jimmy Langley I'll eat my hat. :)

I'd gladly help - I love stats me!

On the subject of Smyth, it might be that his death notice maybe in the papers but not on the net. I'm still holding out for an obit (most likely, if at all in the Times/Guardian), but if not on the net, can anyone help by looking at their newspapers from Friday/Saturday. Even dare I say, the Daily Mail/Express. All it needs to be is a little column in the Sports section...thanks! :)

Oh the heady smell of desperation. :lol:

Smyth was so obscure he has even been removed from Wiki's recent deaths page.

Yeah and was me who put him there in the first place! ;)

Seriously though, he was the World's first Professional snooker ref after all and officiated the very first Crucible final: that's worthy of any obit, rather than Lord Major Sir Bernard Twatshire or whatever that I have to trawl through... :o

I'd help. I know nothing technical but I love typing lists and have a solid background in clerical and administration duties. :o

Just looking through the whole thing so far:

No Noose is Good Noose HAS chosen a team full of executions. But I wonder how many will get obits? Only the Iraqis?

Gerald Ford Must Die kept their name.

A candidate I was hoping to keep secret for one more year, Ramiz Alia, was chosen by the Salmon Mousse :o

Above Average for Norfolk, who picked three dead people last year (ie dead before 2006) has done it again - Freddy Fender. :):lol: Ah well, that's 19 others to choose from...

Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill Kill have switched from obscure superoldies to obscure Iraqis...

Pushing Up the Daisies is not content with accepting Norah Baring is long dead & has chosen her again for 2007...

Dead Excited has also refused to accept Raymond Baxter's death and has named him in their team...

I like the idea of "if one dies, will the other one follow?" team idea

Diepod Shuffle get a beer from me for picking Tommy "cuntface" Burns ;)

Otherwise some great suggestions, some long forgotten names & some new obscurities to think about.

Well, an admin fee would soon stop people who insist on doing no research, like Above Average for Norfolk for one...

On the subject of Smyth, it might be that his death notice maybe in the papers but not on the net. I'm still holding out for an obit (most likely, if at all in the Times/Guardian), but if not on the net, can anyone help by looking at their newspapers from Friday/Saturday. Even dare I say, the Daily Mail/Express. All it needs to be is a little column in the Sports section...thanks! :o

I've checked & checked.

Nothing for him, Bezzerides, IT bloke & Hamilton yet. Sorry.

Yeah, I mean there was one for the drummer from Mud FFS!

We live in hope...

Oh, and on dead people chosen for 2007 - didn't Ruth Bernhard die towards the end of the year? If so, she's been chosen too.

On the subject of Smyth, it might be that his death notice maybe in the papers but not on the net. I'm still holding out for an obit (most likely, if at all in the Times/Guardian), but if not on the net, can anyone help by looking at their newspapers from Friday/Saturday. Even dare I say, the Daily Mail/Express. All it needs to be is a little column in the Sports section...thanks! :lol:

I've checked & checked.

Nothing for him

I find this very surprising...they showed a clip of him officiating at a World Snooker final on the local tele on his death day(ok...so I live in Sheffield...and the Crucible is the only claim to fame Sheffield has....but even so..)

I recognised him for goodness sake ...he MUST deserve an obit :o

Another dead person chosen:

James Brown (including one team that has him as a joker!) :o

I only highlight this as no-one picked Charlie Drake or Saddam Hussein say. (so far)

I think if John Smyth doesn't get a UK obit, TMIB could count himself as terribly unlucky.

It would be worth sending a few emails to the press. I have every intention of doing that when the King Of Wallis pops his clogs, The Telegraph are suckers for royalty.

Another dead person chosen:

James Brown (including one team that has him as a joker!) :o

I only highlight this as no-one picked Charlie Drake or Saddam Hussein say. (so far)

Someone chose James Brown and didn't know he died?!?

Unless of course, they sent in a team early (pre-Christmas), buggered off on holiday

or something and probably forgot..

Oh, and on dead people chosen for 2007 - didn't Ruth Bernhard die towards the end of the year? If so, she's been chosen too.

Yes she did and her picture was on the main page under recent news for quite a bit too.