Grim Reaper

George Melly

Very recent & very interesting interview with George Melly.

Particulary note

"I'm too ill to be operated on" "my death isn't too far away in the future"

Plus the fact he has been diagonised with senile dementia. What hasn't the poor man got?

He's right on my DDP top 3 for next year, if he makes it.

Surely won't last much longer, which is a great shame, for he's always an entertaining fellow.

Indeed Octi, he's bringing a bit of colour and mirth to this section of the DL. So many of them simply go quiet and then appear dead in the papers. Melly - apparantly - can't do a thing without an audience. If only we could find fifty like him every year. Incidentally, belated thanks for patching in a link to Ross Brewsters article from the Evening News and Star, taking Cumbrian local newspapers to the world, what a man Octi.

Happy belated (on Saturday) birthday to Mr. Melly who turned 80!.

Given his recent status, it may be his last birthday as well, though I haven't heard anything lately (google alerts haven't been coming to my inbox lately...)

Guest bows lion

" and all that jazz " :P

Another great write-up of the man in action & his illness.

It comes from the Independent and because articles can later turn into subscription only, I'm posting it below. It is from the 20th August.

George Melly, Brecon Jazz Festival, Powys

Still smokin'

By Phil Johnson

Published: 20 August 2006

When at last he began to shuffle on from the wings, George Melly appeared, very satisfyingly, to be wearing full female drag: straw sun-hat and red crushed-velvet dress, with striped trackie-bottoms visible underneath. Looking rather like a cross between the eccentric bandleader Sun Ra and his beloved Bessie Smith, Melly then began to shuffle off again, having miscalculated his cue. As he told us, once safely settled into the Rowley Birkin-ish leather armchair from which he performed, the part of his brain that deals with time no longer functions.

Cruelly - and as a dedicated Surrealist Melly would appreciate the cruelty - you could say that there's not much else left that functions, either. As he fumbled with the microphone, knocked over a glass of whiskey, and, through deafness, struggled to communicate with the band (Digby Fairweather's Half Dozen, a whole, increasingly strained, hour's-worth of whom we had already sat through), Melly looked a very pale shadow of his former jaunty self. Indeed, this performance was sometimes closer to Krapp's Last Tape than to good-time entertainment. The biggest cheer of the night came when, as the band played on, George insouciantly lit up a cigarette, fagging-it in the jaws of death.

But just when one feared the worst, everything started to get better: George, perhaps primed by whiskey and fag, warmed up. His voice, hitherto terribly underpowered, recovered some of the old bellow, and his introductions (always as important a part of his act as the songs) grew longer and funnier. By the time he got round to the dirty version of the Storyville brothel-song "All the Girls Love the Way I Ride", standing up and turning his back to the audience the better to demonstrate correct riding-posture, we were all in an uproar.

And it's important to remember that this wasn't any old gig, for Melly is loved in Brecon as a favourite son. With his wife Diana, for many years he owned a tower nearby, where friends such as Bruce Chatwin would come to stay, and he topped the bill of the first Brecon Jazz Festival in 1984.

Now in his 80th year (a birthday he celebrated on Thursday), and in obvious poor health, this show was a typically brave, transgressive act by one of the most treasured figures in British cultural life of the last century. By the end, as George popped his eyes theatrically at the ample curves of the charming vocalist Jacqui Dankworth, with whom he was meant to be singing a duet of "Ain't Misbehavin'", it felt like the conclusion of a truly marvellous occasion. Which it wasn't, entirely. But so loved is George that you wouldn't begrudge him anything, especially one last ride.

Another great write-up of the man in action & his illness.

And it's important to remember that this wasn't any old gig, for Melly is loved in Brecon as a favourite son. With his wife Diana, for many years he owned a tower nearby, where friends such as Bruce Chatwin would come to stay, and he topped the bill of the first Brecon Jazz Festival in 1984.

Now in his 80th year (a birthday he celebrated on Thursday), and in obvious poor health, this show was a typically brave, transgressive act by one of the most treasured figures in British cultural life of the last century. By the end, as George popped his eyes theatrically at the ample curves of the charming vocalist Jacqui Dankworth, with whom he was meant to be singing a duet of "Ain't Misbehavin'", it felt like the conclusion of a truly marvellous occasion. Which it wasn't, entirely. But so loved is George that you wouldn't begrudge him anything, especially one last ride.

I remember seeing the inside of that tower on an episode of Through the Keyhole, even back then Melly mentioned that he struggled to get up the stairs of the place. He's never been the fittest of individuals, I'm amazed that he manages to keep going.

He seems determined to do a Cooper and die on stage, I'm sure that's the way he would want to go.

Old news I am afraid (17th August), but perhaps showing something of his frame of mind.

Mr Melly has found a novel way of bequeathing his goods. At the launch of an 80th birthday exhibition of his own art collection, each picture carried a label saying who he will leave it to.

Either he expects to die soon, or he is enjoying certain aspects of being old, and stringing the vultures along. The latter I hope.

Given the opportunity I think I will do similar. When I have visitors to my death bed I'll put little 'post-it' stickers on my valuables, changing the names depending on my mood. Something to look forward to I suppose.

(Sorry the link will not work).

As long as Melly is enjoying working, I think he'd be around for a bit longer and possibly may last the year out. As soon as his illness starts to get to him and he gives up the fight that's when he'll give up the ghost.

Surely that's when he'll become a ghost? :P

But so loved is George that you wouldn't begrudge him anything, especially one last ride.

C'mon, that sentence didn't arrive in that review by accident. It's on a par with the time Ted Heath brought home some British hostages from Iraq and they stayed a night in Jordan before flying home, allowing the BBC to start their report; 'Ted Heath spent last night in Amman.' (heh heh)

George has gone silent of late (amen for small mercies), could the end be nigh for old Melly?

Has he of the flamboyant finery finally finished?

Or is this just a timely temporary time-out?

George Melly, one thing I know is that he shall not be 'round much longer. The bi - sexual and somewhat popular black music man is sufferin from what is said to be lung cancer. For Christmas this year I expect to hear jingle bells of Deathlist, celebrating the speed of rapid success.

George Melly, one thing I know is that he shall not be 'round much longer. The bi - sexual and somewhat popular black music man is sufferin from what is said to be lung cancer. For Christmas this year I expect to hear jingle bells of Deathlist, celebrating the speed of rapid success.

Are you saying Melly is black? or are you saying he performs in a music genre of black origin?

Are you saying Melly is black? or are you saying he performs in a music genre of black origin?

Both should answer your question.

Melly was white last time I looked. Has he coughed up the contents of his lungs and coated his pasty skin a new colour?

http://www.georgemelly.com/

George's site has now got a forum, with all of 3 members. :skull:

Let's board it! Put your cutlass between your teeth, get the grappling hooks and give no quarter!

regarrrds,

Captain Hein

http://www.georgemelly.com/

George's site has now got a forum, with all of 3 members. :skull:

Let's board it! Put your cutlass between your teeth, get the grappling hooks and give no quarter!

regarrrds,

Captain Hein

I'm there but need to do a lot of boning up on George. It's very promising. If you read the blurb on his book you can see that he's really interested in his ailments. I think he would make a great Deathlister. I plan to take George very seriously so no plonkers or gratuitous postings please. For some reason (probably because I'm completely useless) it won't take my avatar. Shame.

Given Tempus's post higher up we need to move fast on George. He's a kindred spirit with a strong sense of morbidity.

I've moved fast, they've got four members on the board now. They've also got a thread for George Melly anecdotes. The challenge has been laid down, can anyone out there top Godot and myself for a straight faced wind up to those worshipping at the altar of George?

My mission is to get George Deathlisting if he's fit and able enough and if he isn't doing it already. But I guess we'd never know. Remember he's big in to surrealism so we should have some kind of surreal thread (like most of those here I suppose).

can anyone out there top Godot and myself for a straight faced wind up to those worshipping at the altar of George?

Wind up? Who said anything about wind up? George deserves some good threads. I genuinely believe he could be the first live Deathlisted guest on here if he's fit enough to get in touch. I think he'll be chuffed to bits at being Deathlisted. Speak to us George if you can. Welcome on board MPFC. This ship can be our's. Lets get some critical mass.

Dunno about the ethics of this Godot but the obvious thing to do is post on GM's site with a link to this one. How he and his meagre collection of loyal posting fans would take it.....I dunno. I take the point about his appreciation of art but what if he posted here at the same time that 'Iain the C**t' chose for one of his periodic encores?

can anyone out there top Godot and myself for a straight faced wind up to those worshipping at the altar of George?

Wind up? Who said anything about wind up? George deserves some good threads. I genuinely believe he could be the first live Deathlisted guest on here if he's fit enough to get in touch. I think he'll be chuffed to bits at being Deathlisted. Speak to us George if you can. Welcome on board MPFC. This ship can be our's. Lets get some critical mass.

I must admit to having joined the GM forum, but not as a 'troll'. I am actually becoming quite a fan of this gentleman, and I have pleasantly passed some time this afternoon reading some very interesting articles he has written. One for SAGA magazine on the ageing process was particularly good.

I had to laugh at the notion of 'winding up' the GM forum, since it's only active members, at the moment at least, would appear to be from the DL. I don't think DL members need to go to another forum to wind each other up. :skull:

The idea of having a DL 'name' actually contributing to their own thread would be most interesting, to say the least, and if Godot should be successful in his quest, I think an award should be made to him for services to the DL. Perhaps one of those splendid DL thongs.

Dunno about the ethics of this Godot but the obvious thing to do is post on GM's site with a link to this one. How he and his meagre collection of loyal posting fans would take it.....I dunno. I take the point about his appreciation of art but what if he posted here at the same time that 'Iain the C**t' chose for one of his periodic encores?

I'm sure George has seen it all MPFC. I think we need to take things easily here rather than stick in a link straight off and say "Hi we're deathlisters, we think your number's up this year, now how about a guest appearance?" Indeed that might work because I'm convinced that George really is the deathlisting type. But none of us knows what it's like to be close to death for real, apart from maybe surviving a close shave. I mean close to death where there's no reprieve. Well one or two of us might, shouldn't speak for everybody. I think if we play our cards right we could get a whopping warm-hearted endorsement from George. Dave is right, he is an interesting bloke and I've never really explored all the nuances of his character before.

I'm a big fan of the man from the telly, I'm on board, on the board but hiding behind an exceedingly cunning nom-de-keyboard.