Godot

What Are You Giving Up For Lent?

Godot since you seem to lack opinion lately - I'll give you my personal advice.

You can give up making ignorant observations. O and 'Filet mignon' might also be a good idea.

If anybody else needs assistance in selecting what they should give up 'for lent' post a few suggestions for me and I'll narrow it down for you.

Anyway I haven't decided what I will give up 'if anything' because it's not that I need to give 'anything up' it's more the less changes I need to make which I've been successful as far as that goes. So if anything I could consider giving up drinking ... but we will see what happens.

I'm definitely giving up handshakes again this year after a roaring success last time.

It really made some people uneasy in work when I ignored their proffered hand. Sometimes you have to offer a piss-poor excuse for the hardcore sales types. Usually a polite "No thanks, not today," bamboozles them enough to withdraw the offer.

I'm definitely giving up handshakes again this year

But Honez, every time I offer my "No thanks, not today," it usually transforms into a 'knuckle exposing pound'

It's like people can't 'digest' the fact that you don't want to touch the hand they didn't wash this morning.

I'm giving up Belgium for lent.

It looks lovely.

Yes it does rather, unfortunately that's not where I'm heading. I am actually going to be strengthening the DL community in France you'll be pleased to hear, so it isn't all bad.

One Lent years ago I gave up religion. It was so successful I carried on.

I'm definitely giving up handshakes again this year

But Honez, every time I offer my "No thanks, not today," it usually transforms into a 'knuckle exposing pound'

It's like people can't 'digest' the fact that you don't want to touch the hand they didn't wash this morning.

Okay, try something else like, "No thanks, I'm gay/straight*." Give them a smile, then add, "I'm sure you understand." Be sure to leave your hands in your pockets or clasped behind your back at all times.

* depending on whether you bowl from the pavilion end or not.

Today is pancake day. I'm going to enjoy three, possibly four pancakes for tea then it's out with milk for Lent. But I'm thinking just milk on its own otherwise I lose out on Yorkshire puddings. And cheese isn't milk, nor is milk chocolate, is it? No milk in coffee? What about cream? Could be tough. Perhaps milk is just a teensy weensy bit drastic. Have changed my mind and decided to give up sausages and pies.

Have changed my mind and decided to give up sausages and pies.

Good God man have you caught le pouffe dramatique or something? What you are suggesting is an abomination! Offal products are compulsory for religious festivals and the like. Give up white chocolate or truffles or marshmallows or something, but for god's sake, don't give up the sacred trinity of meat, gravy and pastry; bound together in the holy foil chalice.

Have changed my mind and decided to give up sausages and pies.

Good God man have you caught le pouffe dramatique or something? What you are suggesting is an abomination! Offal products are compulsory for religious festivals and the like. Give up white chocolate or truffles or marshmallows or something, but for god's sake, don't give up the sacred trinity of meat, gravy and pastry; bound together in the holy foil chalice.

Well Honez I know what you mean but my sausage count was unacceptably high last weekend and when you throw in a couple of burgers, a pastie and several large helpings of haggis combined with more than a gallon of London Pride consumed on Saturday, Lent may be coming around just in time.

The Church of England is asking us to take a lightbulb out of one room for Lent. A darkened room is quite welcome just now. But it doesn't seem much of a sacrifice. I'm wondering about going the whole hog, so to speak, by giving up bacon as well.

Dear Godot,

I'm going to make a radical attempt to convince your eating habits to be as immaculate as is your grammar. You've talked about everything that one should not eat and wanting you to be posting once a week in forty years from now I'm going to offer you my advice.

A daily vitamin

For Breakfast: Oatmeal\ Orange juice\ little bit of coffee or tea. (No sugar) or

1 egg\ Rye toast\ No salt\ Orange juice\ A little coffee or tea. (No sugar)

Or\ a brand cereal 'I advise grape nuts' - fruits are allowed with it.

For Lunch: A light salad\with grilled chicken. Plain if you want. Vegetable soups\noodle soups with low sodium 'only a couple crackers' or a sandwich once or twice a week but stay away from all red meat. Drink plenty of water. Try not to drink soda or beer everyday, drink red wine instead. Manage your portions.

For Dinner: A light pasta with greens or a variety of rice\noodles with greens. Salmon is good for you. Nobody is perfect 'including myself' but try and maintain a diet that will keep you here with us. Take short walks, O and maintain a good relationship with your wife. It might be a good idea.

I am giving up avoidance of this thread!

Despite not believing in Lent I'm probably going to use it to try to at least cut back on Coca-Cola.

Also, sitting here watching the primary/caucus results come is I've decided to give up long winded political speakers - Obama in particular. This man seriously needs to shut up.

Im giving up bugger all.

It seems that most things that are bad for you are highly enjoyable, yes they may kill you in the process ( ask Michael Hutchence/Jimi Hendrix ) but do we all want to live to be 100, miserable, bored and souless?

Sod that.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. It's an essential part of enjoying what is good. The ability to eat strawberries all the year round has f**ked up the joy of strawberry eating. We begin to take things for granted when we can have everything. When every day is sunny it's hard to enjoy a sunny day simply because it's sunny.

When I gave up gravy for 40 days two years ago I appreciated it all the more when I could put it on my Yorkshire puddings again. In such a "can do, can have" society it's good to go without a few things. I have seen the light, although right now I'm sitting here thinking of sausages with my Oogum Biglow friends, writing by candle light and the glow of the screen.

I'm giving up drinking...in the morning....starting tomorrow. :party:

When every day is sunny it's hard to enjoy a sunny day

The word that sums up your whole entire paragraph is a word called moderation. Human beings make habits based on their emotions at some level. If a man lacks in a category he may abuse a different category to fulfill the absence of another. It's very subconscious but it's his way of desensitizing his vulnerability.

Now Fellatio Nelson made some point along the lines of 'why live until I'm miserable and forgetting my own name' and it is true that if one loses control of their mind life has little value. I really don't see anything wrong with going on binges since I believe life was made for pleasure but without moderation pleasure loses it's effect and in excess the greatest it could ever be is ordinary.

When every day is sunny it's hard to enjoy a sunny day

The word that sums up your whole entire paragraph is a word called moderation. Human beings make habits based on their emotions at some level. If a man lacks in a category he may abuse a different category to fulfill the absence of another. It's very subconscious but it's his way of desensitizing his vulnerability.

Now Fellatio Nelson made some point along the lines of 'why live until I'm miserable and forgetting my own name' and it is true that if one loses control of their mind life has little value. I really don't see anything wrong with going on binges since I believe life was made for pleasure but without moderation pleasure loses it's effect and in excess the greatest it could ever be is ordinary.

<_<:unsure::P:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::party:

Well on the day before Shrove Tuesday, I resolved to break my 2007 new year's resolution which was not to drink any coffee and which I'd successfully stuck to for more than 13 months.

This involved drinking one cup on Monday late afternoon, and another on Tuesday morning.

The resulting disturbances to my otherwise peaceful and satisfactory digestive system provoked a further resolution to give the stuff up again for lent.

Poison I tell you. Poison.

Well on the day before Shrove Tuesday, I resolved to break my 2007 new year's resolution which was not to drink any coffee and which I'd successfully stuck to for more than 13 months.

This involved drinking one cup on Monday late afternoon, and another on Tuesday morning.

The resulting disturbances to my otherwise peaceful and satisfactory digestive system provoked a further resolution to give the stuff up again for lent.

Poison I tell you. Poison.

Have you tried decaffeinated coffee NAP? I take my coffee ridiculously strong, you could practically stand a spoon up in it, like you, my digestive system suffered, I eventually admitted defeat and gave up drinking it altogether for a few months, then I tried decaff, took a while to get used to it but now I find it's drinkable and no side effects, although I allowed myself to indulge in 'real' coffee at Xmas.

Nap are you drinking Star Bucks luxury lattes or just what you would consider 'good coffee?'

In a recent conversation with my therapist we were talking about 'eat for your blood type' and I was having her read to me everything that I should and should not eat and coffee 'for example is good for the 'A blood type' while Tea shouldn't be my first choice. 'And it isn't because I would never drink tea'

So it's possible that your system is responding negatively because 'coffee just isn't good for you and never was' not because your system hasn't been immune to it.

Nap are you drinking Star Bucks luxury lattes or just what you would consider 'good coffee?'

In a recent conversation with my therapist we were talking about 'eat for your blood type' and I was having her read to me everything that I should and should not eat and coffee 'for example is good for the 'A blood type' while Tea shouldn't be my first choice. 'And it isn't because I would never drink tea'

So it's possible that your system is responding negatively because 'coffee just isn't good for you and never was' not because your system hasn't been immune to it.

See, you really couldnt make it up.