Vaagheid

Silent Era People

On 30/11/2015 at 18:21, gcreptile said:

Another Guardian article on Baby Peggy:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/nov/30/baby-peggy-diana-serra-cary-silent-film

Her increasing need of care is exhausting her finances and she depends on the kindness of strangers:

http://astarforbabypeggy.com/mptf-snubbed-baby-peggy-help-our-girl/dianas-statement-on-her-treatment-by-mptf/

It's Diana Serra Cary aka Baby Peggy birthday today :birthday:99 today so the kindness of strangers is it seems still keeping her going. 

Report of Lassie Lou Ahern's death:

Now we wait for formal confirmation.....

http://www.voy.com/221392/226525.html

Well this forum posted about it, and now is pulling back a bit.  Doesn't mean anything, but it is what it is.

Still waiting for anyone anywhere to pick up on this, I've been 'refresh'ing every few minutes for 90 minutes.  Only thing to pop up is the OP + retraction above.
SC

Rhett is on the case. If it's true, Hollywood Reporter will have it up within 48 hours.

• Like 1

My gut  feeling is that she has indeed died. They seem to be 2 fairly reliable sources who are saying it.           

34 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Rhett is on the case. If it's true, Hollywood Reporter will have it up within 48 hours.

And here they are...

• Like 1

Rumour has it that the Grim Reaper showed up at her home and showed her this poster from God. That's when she knew that her time was up. RIP.

qYPx8lr.jpg

• Sad 1

Hmm, so Baby Peggy survives Lassie Lou Ahern. I thought it would have been the other way round.

14 hours ago, Torva Messor said:

14 hours later STILL the only obit source.  Interesting and amazing.  Not sure what that says about 1) the media and 2) Ahern
SC

14 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

14 hours later STILL the only obit source.  Interesting and amazing.  Not sure what that says about 1) the media and 2) Ahern
SC

Silent era actresses are relics of the past, most of the people that watched these films are either dead themselves or very old. If she had died in her 20s, she would've gotten more obits.

(Undoubtedly, some silent films, like those starring Chaplin are still watched today, but Lassie Lou was not Chaplin.)

There is the whole teaching Renee Zellwegger to dance thing though, as well as her hard times story from a couple of years ago.

I'd say there's a possibility of a QO, just not immediately.

So the survivors are:

*Mary Carlisle (1914), very recognizable actress and famous on her own in the 30s. Think she might get decent coverage when she goes.

*Don Marion Davis (1917) believed to have died in 2012, resurrected for his 100th birthday. Career ended in 1925.

*Fay McKenzie (1918) Indeed had a decent adult career as a character actress. Might sneak an obit.

*Diana Serra Cary (1918) The one and only Baby Peggy. The last great star from silent movies.

*Dorothy Morrison (1919) Obscure.

*Silas Hathaway (1919) Played the Newborn Kid in Charlie Chaplin's The Kid.

*Louise Watson (1919) of Watson family fame.

*Jack C. Edwards (1920) Obscure, but was interviewed bu the Guardian three years ago. Worked with Norman Lloyd.

*Billy Watson (1923) of Watson family fame.

*Kathleen O'Malley (1924), adult character actress with small child roles.

*Donnie Smith (1924) of Our Gang. ?????

*Mildred Kornman (1925) of Our Gang. Looks incredibly good despite her age.

*Garry Watson (1928) of Watson family fame.

These are all Yanks. I wonder if any minor foreign silent film actors are still around. The German industry was bigger than Hollywood at one stage early on. Any ideas? I will do some research.

1 hour ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

These are all Yanks. I wonder if any minor foreign silent film actors are still around. The German industry was bigger than Hollywood at one stage early on. Any ideas? I will do some research.

Hmm.. anyone from Metropolis still alive? I doubt it. Maybe someone from "M"? Honestly, most of potential survivors  - child actors or bit actors - probably died in WW 2.

57 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Maybe someone from "M"?

M is a sound film from 1931, so it doesn't count.

57 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Honestly, most of potential survivors  - child actors or bit actors - probably died in WW 2.

While WW2 was devastating for Germany (and most Central European countries), I think you are overestimating its death toll. But indeed, any actor alive today must have been a child actor in the silent era, and I'm not sure how many German silent films featured children as protagonists. (I guess, most of them would feature in uncredited, minor rules, which means that finding them would be hard, since the usual sources (IMDB, Wikipedia) are much less reliable/useful for non-British/American films/actors.)

M is a fantastic film, mind you. Peter Lorre was great at needling sympathy out of horrific characters.

• Thanks 1

I included M because it "barely" is a talkie. Still very raw sounds in some places. It's the earliest german film, I could imagine, that there might be survivors of (the child actors).

12 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I included M because it "barely" is a talkie. Still very raw sounds in some places. It's the earliest german film, I could imagine, that there might be survivors of (the child actors).

Even though it is an early talkie, it's not even a borderline case. Although there are some genuine borderline cases, but even they are swiftly purged from these lists by purists.

One example is the obscure German-Hungarian actress Petra Unkel (imdb) who has no death dates on Wikipedia or imdb, and had a minor role as a 4-year old child in Napoleon at St. Helena according to her imdb page. Still, she didn't make the cut (since imdb is not considered a reliable source on Wikipedia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_surviving_silent_film_actors&type=revision&diff=756213163&oldid=755294316

On 18/02/2018 at 21:47, GossipGabe said:

Even though it is an early talkie, it's not even a borderline case. Although there are some genuine borderline cases, but even they are swiftly purged from these lists by purists.

One example is the obscure German-Hungarian actress Petra Unkel (imdb) who has no death dates on Wikipedia or imdb, and had a minor role as a 4-year old child in Napoleon at St. Helena according to her imdb page. Still, she didn't make the cut (since imdb is not considered a reliable source on Wikipedia):

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_surviving_silent_film_actors&type=revision&diff=756213163&oldid=755294316

Yes, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. There must be a few child actors around.  If we count M, maybe one of Peter Lorre's child victims is still around.

Were there any kids in Golem, Nibelungenlied or Dr Mabuse? I am trying to remember.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 15:42, YoungWillz said:

There is the whole teaching Renee Zellwegger to dance thing though, as well as her hard times story from a couple of years ago.

I'd say there's a possibility of a QO, just not immediately.

Lassie Lou's Guardian Obit: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/26/lassie-lou-ahern-obituary

• Like 4

On 2/18/2018 at 21:47, GossipGabe said:

Pot, kettle, black?

• Haha 1

Louise Watson dies aged 98, taking us down to two living Watson siblings - http://tolucantimes.info/obituaries/louise-roberts-burbank-resident-former-our-gang-child-actor/

On a more positive silent film note, yesterday was the 100th anniversary of Station Content's release, meaning Fay McKenzie has now achieved the rare distinction of seeing the centennial of her film debut. :clap:

• Like 2