Grim Reaper

Harlan Ellison

Guest Bob Mould
Will we hear him when he dies since he hasn't a mouth?

That rather depends on how he dies. If someone slipped a couple of sticks of dynamite in his shirt pocket when he wasn't looking, then those standing close to him would certainly hear something when he went.

That rather depends on how he dies. If someone slipped a couple of sticks of dynamite in his shirt pocket when he wasn't looking, then those standing close to him would certainly hear something when he went.

Ah, but he wouldn't scream then, now would he?

Yes, I read the story. :shoot2:

regards,

Hein

Guest Jealous Norm Spinrad

Ah, but he wouldn't scream then, now would he?

Yes, I read the story. :shoot2:

regards,

Hein

Perhaps not, although he might just get time to mutter "Shit" or "Fu-" before the explosion took hold. He might not get a opportunty to scream if he was thrown in to a vat of boiling water either, but he could possibly produce a high pitched squealing sound which emanates from his whole body, in a similar fashion to that of a lobster in the same predicament. Would that be an acceptable alternative?

Anyone want to buy Harlan Ellison's first typewriter?

Starting bid is $40,000

Starting bid is $40,000

I like his hat.

Starting bid is $40,000

I like his hat.

Nice little story there. I must read A boy and his dog. I didn't know that Cormac McCarthy had been accused of ripping that off for The Road. Haven't read any Ellison. Can anyone tell me whether he's a good read and what might be his best stories (only if you've read them rather than passing on a second-hand review or Wikipedia entry)? It's good to know a little bit more about one's DDP picks. I didn't even know what Ellison looked like and he does look promisingly peaky. I hope he gets himself a good sale to buy an ice cream or whatever anyone close to death might crave. Maybe it's publicity and a chance to get even for some grievance. If so, it's probably served its purpose. If he writes as well as McCarthy he's certainly worth reading.

Just a note on rip offs: is it wrong to take someone's idea and do your own version? Almost everyone has heard of 1984 by George Orwell but Yevgeny Zamyatin's We that inspired Orwell's book is far less well known. I'm not saying Zamyatin's is a better book but its ideas are original (unless there is someone who could claim he was ripped off by Zamyatin).

Haven't read any Ellison. Can anyone tell me whether he's a good read and what might be his best stories (only if you've read them rather than passing on a second-hand review or Wikipedia entry)?

I've read:

1. Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman
  2. I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

Both are excellent reads, although #2 is quite disturbing.

regards,

Hein

Well after reading his Wikipedia entry it looks as if I'm probably the only one on here who's not familiar with the guy, what with his credits for Star Trek and I Robot and the like.

But the bit I liked best on there took me to a cameo in Gay Talese's celebrated feature on Frank Sinatra. The whole feature is a long read but worth it. Gay Talese is new to me but shouldn't be; amazing to think he wrote that without getting an interview with Sinatra. The piece was written in 1966 long before the Godfather films that alluded to Sinatra's mafia connections. Talese is 78, coming up 79, and will get an obit when the time comes. But he looks OK just now.

Here is a classic Harlan Ellison interview. Play this in front of any obnoxious Trekkies you know as he destroys their favourite show :skull: :

May he crucify bad television for many more years to come. :(

Still well enough to throw a lawsuit at New Regency and producer Andrew Niccol, alleging that they've ripped off Repent Harlequin! Said The Ticktockman for their upcoming Justin Timberlake flick In Time.

Beginning to feel that Harlan Ellison, like Superstar Billy Graham, wasn't so much as announcing his imminent death as saying "Hey everyone, look at me! Look at me! Pay lots of money to come to the conventions I attend because I might be dead next year I suppose idk"

Another Zsa Zsa Gabor, then?

Going over the old list and their reasons for being on the list, I've come to deem Ellison's "dying" remarks as a bit of hyperbole on his part. Rather than saying "I'm terminally ill so allow me to live my life" he was saying "I'm an old man so I should spend my time wisely". True to his character I'd say.

Going over the old list and their reasons for being on the list, I've come to deem Ellison's "dying" remarks as a bit of hyperbole on his part. Rather than saying "I'm terminally ill so allow me to live my life" he was saying "I'm an old man so I should spend my time wisely". True to his character I'd say.

Had a stroke, apparently. [Also appears to be recovering, but it brings him back into the focus.]

Dead, link to follow.

CBR (genre press) have an obit.

Link.

Didn't think he had his own thread. Was going to go for the Author's one or possibly Babylon 5.

Somewhere, James Cameron is emitting a wry grin 

Author Harlan Ellison is dying.

"The truth of what's going on here is that I'm dying," says Ellison, by phone. "I'm like the Wicked Witch of the West -- I'm melting. I began to sense it back in January. By that time, I had agreed to do the convention. And I said, I can make it. I can make it.'"

He doesn't detail what his illness is, or whether or not he expects to see this year out, but maybe one to bear in mind for next year if he does.

Better late than never!

I loved the game i have no mouth and i must scream. Truly terrifying!