The Unknown Man

Ideas And Possibilities For 2013

I read in the midst of Mel Gibson's latest chapter of his ongoing public and private disintegration that his father Hutton is 93 and suffering multiple health problems. Papa Gibson is a bit of a character in his own right, a one-time champion of Jeopardy and member of the same extreme right wing catholic sect as his boy, also a Holocaust denier and purveyor of numerous anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, including their responsibility for 9/11, naturally.

They should get their own reality show, if Ozzy Osbourne and Hulk Hogan can do it...

What about the two former Argentine dictators, Jorge Videla and Reynaldo Bignone, 86 and 84 respectively? They were both just charged for their complicity in kidnapping babies systematically, and have been given tough sentences. I can't imagine a South American prison would be too kind on an octogenarian.

EDIT: I've just read another article that says the men are already serving life sentences for previous human rights offenses, so this isn't their first trip 'round the block. However, I still think they're two valid points to think about.

What about the two former Argentine dictators, Jorge Videla and Reynaldo Bignone, 86 and 84 respectively? They were both just charged for their complicity in kidnapping babies systematically, and have been given tough sentences. I can't imagine a South American prison would be too kind on an octogenarian.

EDIT: I've just read another article that says the men are already serving life sentences for previous human rights offenses, so this isn't their first trip 'round the block. However, I still think they're two valid points to think about.

Hmmm.....this could lead to a special genre. People on death lists who are incarcerated.

Hmmm.....this could lead to a special genre. People on death lists who are incarcerated.

Pretty sure there already is one

I read in the midst of Mel Gibson's latest chapter of his ongoing public and private disintegration that his father Hutton is 93 and suffering multiple health problems. Papa Gibson is a bit of a character in his own right, a one-time champion of Jeopardy and member of the same extreme right wing catholic sect as his boy, also a Holocaust denier and purveyor of numerous anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, including their responsibility for 9/11, naturally.

They should get their own reality show, if Ozzy Osbourne and Hulk Hogan can do it...

Sounds like a good 'no shame' pick, but I don't know if he'd quite pass the notability test.

Pretty sure there already is one

Yeah, there's a few. Off hand, Brady and Mubarak come to mind.

Sounds like a good 'no shame' pick, but I don't know if he'd quite pass the notability test.

He has his own Wikipedia page, given that Mel Gibson's troubled personal life has come to overshadow his career in recent years think its safe to say that Gibson Sr.'s passing would generate a fair amount of media coverage, not least cause hacks would probably be waiting with baited breath for the poor grieving son's reaction...

Plus he has acquired notoriety without his son's help

Guest Billy The Fish

Joan Fontaine (94) should be on there with Olivia de Havilland.

He has his own Wikipedia page, given that Mel Gibson's troubled personal life has come to overshadow his career in recent years think its safe to say that Gibson Sr.'s passing would generate a fair amount of media coverage, not least cause hacks would probably be waiting with baited breath for the poor grieving son's reaction...

Yeah, now that I did a little more research, I don't have much doubt in my mind that he'd get a British obit.

Yeah, now that I did a little more research, I don't have much doubt in my mind that he'd get a British obit.

Yup, even without the benefit of fame by proxy, his crackpot theories are worthy of Lyndon Larouche

Seeing as how Ernest Borgnine has now died, I would like to suggest another nonagenarian, Nehemiah Persoff who was born in August 1919 and will be 93 in a few weeks and while we have him there, aging actress Maxine Stuart was born in 1918, just turned 94.

Albert Reynolds. The 79yo former Irish PM is looking very peaky of late. He was unable to testify at a tribunal in 2008 because of "cognitive impairment" and recent pics of him shows he is deteriorating fast. If he makes it to 2013 then i'd say he is a shoe in to pop off the mortal coil that year.

Peter O'Toole announces retirement from stage and screen aged 79. Maybe his hellraising days have finally caught up with him.

Peter O'Toole announces retirement from stage and screen aged 79. Maybe his hellraising days have finally caught up with him.

Though perhaps not in the George Best/Oliver Reed sense

Nothing seems to have been heard of Saeed Jaffrey for a while (b. 1929), his love of the bottle is well-known...

Guest Guest

A few British TV celebrities who should be considered as they are ageing and frail:

Geoffrey Palmer (born 1927)

Leslie Philips (born 1924)

Stanley Baxter (born 1926)

I know its probably been suggested before but I an watching a program about respecting your elders.

John Bardon AKA Jim Branning from Eastenders not looking well at all these days. He has had two strokes.

A few British TV celebrities who should be considered as they are ageing and frail:

Geoffrey Palmer (born 1927)

Leslie Philips (born 1924)

Stanley Baxter (born 1926)

There's some drama being trailered on the BBC at the moment featuring Palmer, Bert & Dickie I think it's called. Ageing he may be but he doesn't appear to be frail

Derek Fowlds is looking dreadful these days. He hasn't worked since 2009 and his co-stars Eddington and Hawthorne from Yes Minister passed away in 1995 and 2001 respectively.

There doesn't seem to be any articles on his health or why he has stopped working but any fan of classic BBC comedy will be saddened to see how ill he is looking of late. I hate to say it as I am a fan but he does look like a shoe in for 2013.

Original Corrie cast member Daphne Oxenford (Esther Hayes), b. 1919 worth bearing in mind. Not sure but think she may be the oldest surviving cast member, as she was part of the original cast her demise would be bound to generate a fair bit of coverage

Clive James, Andy Williams & Mark "Chopper" Read are all in advanced stages of terminal illness, should they all hold out till the new year there's really no excuse for their omission. Easy pickings perhaps but this year we had Etta James, Robin Gibb and Al-Megrahi.

A Terminal Treble for 2013 perhaps?

• Like 1

Derek Fowlds is looking dreadful these days. He hasn't worked since 2009 and his co-stars Eddington and Hawthorne from Yes Minister passed away in 1995 and 2001 respectively.

There doesn't seem to be any articles on his health or why he has stopped working but any fan of classic BBC comedy will be saddened to see how ill he is looking of late. I hate to say it as I am a fan but he does look like a shoe in for 2013.

As he was also a pal of Basil Brush, do you think he is more or less likely to go than Rodney Bewes who is almost unrecognisable.

Walter Wolfgang (b. 1923) longtime Labour Party activist and VP of the CND, also some may recall he was forcibly ejected from the Labour Party Conference in 2005 after heckling Jack Straw during a speech on Iraq

It's a ranter-fire magnet but...

Artist Ruth Fuller has issued the predictable statement about being left alone to grieve the fact her husband killed their kids, and himself.

http://news.sky.com/story/961268/ceri-fuller-killings-mum-has-no-words

Deffo news-worthy if it all gets too much. The question is...does this artist care that much about symetry?

2 old soap actresses worth keeping an eye on;

Elizabeth Kelly (Nellie Ellis, EastEnders) b. 1921

Sheila Mercier (Annie Sugden, Emmerdale) b. 1919

• Like 1