Tempus Fugit

Harry Morgan

well that does rather change things... not a nice guy, but more importantly a boozer. that does cut his chances somewhat, although oddly smoking doesn't seem to (he smokes, so does this guy i mentioned who is 99). i'll have to try and check this with the aforementioned assesor, but i think such habits statistically are less likely to claim them in their nineties. which doesn't sound right as i type, but i do recall being astonished when he told me this. of course, i was the one who thought they'd taken gullible out of the dictionary.

two things struck me in that abuse report. one: rick allen? not sure whether to be admonishing or admiring of a one-armed man managing that! two: kept looking for harry potter, not harry morgan. it's early and i haven't had any caffeine yet, ok?

He drinks, wears big hats & is violent... well, what else do you expect when he's named after one of the greatest pirates of the seven seas... :flame2::lol:

Yea...from the picture alone I don't really see him being around much longer. He looks so fragile(as of course, most of the elderly do, which makes them good pics.) I don't think he'll get to 100. :lol:

Another M*A*S*H actor getting on in years is Allan Arbus. He had an occasional role as the the psychiatrist.

Anyway he was born in 1918 and hasn't worked for a few years. What made me think about him is that they've made a film about his late ex-wife Diane Arbus, perhaps publicity surrounding that will bring him out and we can check on his health.

Another M*A*S*H actor getting on in years is Allan Arbus. He had an occasional role as the the psychiatrist.

Anyway he was born in 1918 and hasn't worked for a few years. What made me think about him is that they've made a film about his late ex-wife Diane Arbus, perhaps publicity surrounding that will bring him out and we can check on his health.

His character was Sidney Friedman, although I'm convinced in the first episode or two in which he appeared he was known as "Milton Friedman". When the MASH producers realised there was a real life person called the same thing, they changed his first name.

However, in trying to prove this via the internet I've never found any corroborating evidence, so I might be making the whole thing up.

His character was Sidney Friedman, although I'm convinced in the first episode or two in which he appeared he was known as "Milton Friedman". When the MASH producers realised there was a real life person called the same thing, they changed his first name.

However, in trying to prove this via the internet I've never found any corroborating evidence, so I might be making the whole thing up.

This suggests it's not just your imagination.

...his first name on the show originally was Dr. Milton Friedman. However, a gentleman of the same name, a professor at the University of Chicago, objected and the producers changed the name from Dr. Milton Friedman to Dr. Sidney Friedman.

I love the fact that he's "a gentleman of the same name, a professor at... etc", rather than "Milton f***ing Friedman, as in er, one of the most significant economists of the 20th century..."

Does anyone know if Harry Morgan of MASH is still alive? If so, Ithinkhe would be a good candidate.

I saw he didn't have a post so thought I'd drop by as I always enjoyed M*A*S*H. I take it he's just on for old age or has he been ill? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't known to be a heavy drinker?

Edited by Lady Grendel
Threads merged

I saw he didn't have a post so thought I'd drop by as I always enjoyed M*A*S*H. I take it he's just on for old age or has he been ill? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't known to be a heavy drinker?

It's my pleasure to correct you, H. In this case, you seem to have omitted the 'he' between the 'isn't' and the 'known'. Fifty-nine anal pedants.

I also enjoyed watching the adventures of the 4077th, but here are a few more facts about him:-

Born Harry Bratsburg on April 10 in Detroit, Morgan intended to become a lawyer until public speaking and debating classes at the University of Chicago stirred his interest in the theater.

He has starred in 11 different television series, as well as appearing in over 50 feature films.

When not performing, Morgan likes to read books about history, the legal profession and poetry. He used to raise quarterhorses at his Santa Rosa, California ranch. Whatever a quarterhorse is.

He also finds time to run a New York deli-style restaurant in London.

He is probably somewhat up-to-speed with modern technology, what with having spent all those years in the Army etc.; this, however, is not his Facebook page.

As for the heavy drinking, I couldn't find anything on that. I recall he once partook of Hawkeye's moonshine martini on M*A*S*H but hey, haven't we all? Is he often seen cruising the local pubs on IOM, H? He does seem to get about...

'twas a pleasant surprise to see Harry Morgan get his own thread. I always enjoyed his work and found him to be a fine and upstanding gentleman of an actor. Loved his work in Dragnet and then seeing him reprise his role as Bill Gannon in the film of the same name back in the 1980's.

Oh my the interesting things one learns when researching. Apparently he has 4 healthy strapping sons from his first marriage, two of whom are attorneys. He is married to the granddaughter of Francis X. Bushman a very very famous actor from the days of silent films and in the original 1925 version of Ben Hur..

I found out that Harry lost his first wife to the scythe of death in 1985(after some 45 years together)but being a real trooper he got back out there climbed onto the horse again and it was then that he married Barbara Bushman (not considered to be related fundamentally or otherwise to Babs Bush wife of former President George The Greater Bush). He married wifey number 2 in the year of 1986 the year dierectly after his first wife passed on.

His daughter in-law is the child of actor Lee J.Cobb who was in the classic film 12 Angry Men and also in Coogan's Bluff.

Further facts are that Harry has been a regular in at least 11 television shows and still knows how to be surly and charming all at the same time.

You sir are insane!

Aside from that it should be noted that channel 31 runs several consecutive episodes of M*A*S*H* on Sunday nights here in these parts. It seems to keep the show alive. They also run an epiisode or two in the afternoon a few times a week, usally opposite the after noon showing of the Winfrey woman.

Hopefully Harry will stick around through the year and be a choice for next year.

Guest Dief
:sicktherm: I had Karl Malden and got screwed with Farrah dying first.Lost a lot of $ that day. I hope it doesnt happen again with my man Harry. I like his work in Dragnet more so than Mash,not a big mash fan,.

I was realy surprised to hear that he was still alive.

Well he's made it to another birthday. While were at it does anyone have any health news on the other MASH regulars?

Well he's made it to another birthday. While were at it does anyone have any health news on the other MASH regulars?

Not to hand but Alan Alda is perhaps a worthy future candidate, think he turns 80 this year

Not to hand but Alan Alda is perhaps a worthy future candidate, think he turns 80 this year

Whoops I stand corrected, he was born in 1936

I never realised there was a short-lived MASH spin-off called AfterMASH featuring him and a couple of other regulars, assume it wasn't a classic?

I never realised there was a short-lived MASH spin-off called AfterMASH featuring him and a couple of other regulars, assume it wasn't a classic?

That's right, it only lasted two series. I haven't seen it but it's not supposed to be up to much. There was also a pilot called W*A*L*T*E*R which was about Radar O'Reilly working as a policeman, it was never picked up for a series. I haven't seen that either but it's meant to be dreadful.

That's right, it only lasted two series. I haven't seen it but it's not supposed to be up to much. There was also a pilot called W*A*L*T*E*R which was about Radar O'Reilly working as a policeman, it was never picked up for a series. I haven't seen that either but it's meant to be dreadful.

CBS did it no favours by putting it on up against the A-Team, seriously how arrogant was that??

Guest Jason

7Dec2011 aged 96