Godot

What Are You Giving Up For Lent?

I don't watch television any more. The beginning of the end came when someone gave me a digibox because he was getting Sky. I then found that there was too much crap to choose from, and it became too much of a chore to sort through it all. I could cope with 5 (well, 4½ channels), but I just can't be arsed with it now. If I find I've missed something decent, I can watch it on catch-up. But I don't bother much.

I will stand up for a lot of lowest common denominator TV, but the truth is Britain does LCD really, really poorly. No British reality show has ever come close to the schadenfreude excellence of My Super Sweet 16, the catty bitchiness of Next, or the improv effortlessness of the first few series of Jersey Shor. All three shows are as dumb as a box of nails/Andy "The Hammer" Hamilton, but they have an effortless entertainment about them. What are the... not even great, acceptable British trash TV shows? Take Me Out is key as a guilty pleasure, Snog Marry Avoid has its moments but other than that... there's probably not been a key British reality show since George Galloway was pretending to be a cat.

It's that you know about it. I guess I'm detached, I don't know.

I'm not in the NBA.

I don't watch television any more. The beginning of the end came when someone gave me a digibox because he was getting Sky. I then found that there was too much crap to choose from, and it became too much of a chore to sort through it all. I could cope with 5 (well, 4½ channels), but I just can't be arsed with it now. If I find I've missed something decent, I can watch it on catch-up. But I don't bother much.

Haven't watched TV since 2008 and i don't miss it one bit I only use my TV for computer games or DVDs. To be fair I do watch the odd football match live on terrestrial TV or big news event other than that i have the internet.

In my case the internet really did kill off the television.

If I may wade in to the discussion with my customary much too little, much too late, could I add that everything was better before (with a few noteworthy exceptions, chiefly the internet). I've never worked anywhere, lived anywhere, eaten/drank/shagged anywhere that is better now than it was before. Maybe it's something to do with inherent sentimentality or an aversion to change deep inside us all, I don't know.

Unless of course no one finishes that sentence when I'm around.

"It used to be really great here before that cunt turned up..."

I'm giving up my middle class, always better in the past, no satellite television sanity for Lent.

I've given up pancakes.

• Like 1

Guest Bartelli

Im givin up lent, for good. And the stain on my head whenever that happens

As an Agnostic I am not sure if I am giving anything up or not. Could go either way.

• Like 2

Sanity. I figure it's best to just go with the flow.

• Like 1

Sanity. I figure it's best to just go with the flow.

It is CA, its so much easier to drift than to try and power yourself forwards against that constant flow.

Fuck it, i say, whats the worst that can happen? We Live, we breathe, we stop breathing, we die.

Nowt complicated in that, right?

• Like 1

I'm not giving up anything.

I can be a hypocrite regardless.

It just feels like a whole lot of pointless effort to even think what to give up.

Very much in tune with those who are not bothering. Tad sad, but I'm getting beyond having much hope.

Sea levels on the rise. Horsemeat in people's burgers. Air pollution. Wild winter weather. Too few Jobs for the masses. Failing companies and Countries.

And even the Pope has given up doing his bit...

Im actually giving up eating for three.

Its time I started to look after my body just a little bit. Ive got no interest in having the physique of a beached whale.

Ive now started this painful process.

I give it two days.

• Like 1

In tune with the prevailing attitude, I've given up giving a fuck.

Well I'm giving up masturbation - I've decided to try to get laid instead. It may prove to be difficult being that it's been a couple of years so maybe I'll just give up masturbating with my right hand and use my left instead. Then it will feel like someone else is doing it for me. Actually I'm not into Lent at all - the only lent I know is the one that goes - " I lent my neighbor my chain saw and never got it back " but it doesn't matter because I slept with his wife a few times over the past 8 years - oh the memories. I hope she comes back to borrow another cup of sugar.

well im giving up watching alot of movies and being inactive . replace it with swimming once a week and gym once a week and hopefully i will feel 100 times better.

I'm giving up smoking (again). I'll let you know how I get on.

P.S. I'm not starting tomorrow, I've got some cheap Spanish ciggies to finish.

2 hours ago, time said:

I'm giving up smoking (again). I'll let you know how I get on.

P.S. I'm not starting tomorrow, I've got some cheap Spanish ciggies to finish.

Cold turkey, patches, vape?

1 hour ago, rockhopper penguin said:

Cold turkey, patches, vape?

It'll be patches, at least that's my intent. That was my method last time and it worked pretty well, though I did it cold turkey once too, but I was younger and had more willpower!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, time said:

It'll be patches, at least that's my intent. That was my method last time and it worked pretty well, though I did it cold turkey once too, but I was younger and had more willpower!

Done patches at one of my attempts. Fuckin dreams were crazy. I'd wake up in a cold sweat thinking I had been running down the street shooting and killing people. It felt soooooo real.  Decided in 2003 to stop cold turkey, haven't had one since. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Done patches at one of my attempts. Fuckin dreams were crazy. I'd wake up in a cold sweat thinking I had been running down the street shooting and killing people. It felt soooooo real.  Decided in 2003 to stop cold turkey, haven't had one since. 

Were they on the list?

• Like 2

I've never given anything up before. I might try giving up gossip. It's my only vice really.

I'm going to give up staying in and not drinking.

It's about time I got out amongst the boys to wish them a happy new year and pick up anyone who had a rotten valentines...;)

Religion.