Godot

Art For Death's Sake

A few ageing artists I've at least heard of to add to the pot:

Cy Twombly, 80. (Twimbledon Common resident, would get an obit on sillynames.com)

I'm sorry if this is boring to most DLers, but I'd like to point out that Twombly has an exhibition at Tate Modern and that I consider him one of the premier C20th artists. Of course, he won't get Rolf-like column inches and he may not die for years, but the Deathlist is a broad church, I'd hope.

(Hmmm, I'd had a few drinks when I wrote that. I do rate his work, but maybe 'one of the premier C20th artists' is a bit OTT)

Edited by TAFKAG
  • Like 1

Cy Twombly, 80. (Twimbledon Common resident, would get an obit on sillynames.com)

I'm sorry if this is boring to most DLers, but I'd like to point out that Twombly has an exhibition at Tate Modern and that I consider him one of the premier C20th artists. Of course, he won't get Rolf-like column inches and he may not die for years, but the Deathlist is a broad church, I'd hope.

(Hmmm, I'd had a few drinks when I wrote that. I do rate his work, but maybe 'one of the premier C20th artists' is a bit OTT)

TAFKAG I'm deeply impressed with this. I would nominate Cy as the DL's adopted artist.

twombly_1961.jpg

TAFKAG I'm deeply impressed with this. I would nominate Cy as the DL's adopted artist.

twombly_1961.jpg

If that picture is supposed to resemble vomit, he has skimped on the carrots.

Who is taking the piss out of who? The "Artists" or the "Art lovers?"

In a debate on the Arts, I like to fall back on the old "The Kings New Clothes" Fairytale.

That says it all.

• Like 1

Talking in general, art is perception. Music is perception. The ending of The Sopranos can be debated upon perception. The recent firing of Willie Randolph can be debated upon perception. The quality of a product on TV can be judged upon perception. Politics is perception of standards for a nation. What has value and what is worth nothing can be weighed upon perception. You know, one mans misfortune might be another mans ticket. One mans lottery might be another mans melt down. It's the hard facts which are the evidence of what something is or of what something represents. The facts are the truth but then you need to decide whether you buy into it or not. It's that line between the facts themselves and perception itself, which may decide who you are in life and where life will guide you.

Guest Shadow

I perceive you to be an idiot.

Talking in general, art is perception. Music is perception. The ending of The Sopranos can be debated upon perception. The recent firing of Willie Randolph can be debated upon perception. The quality of a product on TV can be judged upon perception. Politics is perception of standards for a nation. What has value and what is worth nothing can be weighed upon perception. You know, one mans misfortune might be another mans ticket. One mans lottery might be another mans melt down. It's the hard facts which are the evidence of what something is or of what something represents. The facts are the truth but then you need to decide whether you buy into it or not. It's that line between the facts themselves and perception itself, which may decide who you are in life and where life will guide you.

This man is a genius. I nominate him as the DL's resident art critic. How else can we deal with that Philistine LFN? Cy Twombly is Banshees Scream.

In a debate on the Arts, I like to fall back on the old "The Kings New Clothes" Fairytale.

That says it all.

Lord, at grevious risk of igniting the hoary old What is Art chestnut, may I take it that if you can't "tell what it is yet" then it doesn't meet with your approval?

That says it all.

Lord, at grevious risk of igniting the hoary old What is Art chestnut, may I take it that if you can't "tell what it is yet" then it doesn't meet with your approval?

I know what it is.

Its a picture ( it doesnt deserve to be called a painting) of somebodys vomit.

If Tracy Emin could make a Bedroom scene look like an old slags morning after (Her life expressed in Art, allegedly....) and call that Art, why is it beyond the realms of possibility that Cy twatface wasnt inspired to paint his "picture" after a bout of food poisoning and a visit to the bog to "talk to Burton Huey?"

Yours

Lord Philistine Nelson

That says it all.

I know what it is.

If Tracy Emin could make a Bedroom scene look like an old slags morning after (Her life expressed in Art, allegedly....) and call that Art, why is it beyond the realms of possibility that Cy twatface wasnt inspired to paint his "picture" after a bout of food poisoning and a visit to the bog to "talk to Burton Huey?"

Yours

Lord Philistine Nelson

I'm not calling you a philistine, but I fail to see the connection between Emin's 'bed' (which I don't admire) and Twombly's paintings (which I do), other than that they're both non-figurative. I won't ask what you think of Jackson Pollock's art, because I can already guess. And I expect it'll involve more bodily-function metaphors, random Capital letters and an 'angry' emoticon.

That says it all.

I know what it is.

Yours

Lord Philistine Nelson

I'm not calling you a philistine, but I fail to see the connection between Emin's 'bed' (which I don't admire) and Twombly's paintings (which I do), other than that they're both non-figurative. I won't ask what you think of Jackson Pollock's art, because I can already guess. And I expect it'll involve more bodily-function metaphors, random Capital letters and an 'angry' emoticon.

TAFKAG and Lord Philistine(may I call you Phil?) I find nothing wrong with bodily functions per se but if your gonna paint someone downloading their dinner, it should be done with the passion and conviction it deserves: fz067.jpg

That says it all.

I know what it is.

Yours

Lord Philistine Nelson

Firstly, did I say that you called my a Philistine?

Secondly, dont get snotty with me.

I am entitled to an opinion which is just as valid as anybody elses, If I want to use the vomit analogy to describe a painting that has been copied by 7 year olds at easels the country over and laterly by chimpanzees, I will use it.

If you want debate with me the merits of non figurative, post modern, impressionists and anything else, I will be happy to on any Art derived forum of your choosing.

I wont debate here in any depth because thats not why Im here. I gave a flippant but honest opinion of something, thats my call.

Your right,in this case, I dont rate Jackson Pollock, should I? Do you rate Michael Ballack? Opinions, opinions.

Oh, and dont you dare, for one second assume that I, because of my style of posting ( which suits me here thanks) in anyway makes me somewhat uncouth, unintelligent and some boneheaded knuckledragger, a view you have barely tried to disguise. Make no mistake, I have had a decent education sweetie, Im a lot smarter than I post.

Finally, there is a clear indication that you cant see the wood for the trees, ever heard of "tongue in cheek?"

Yours, who wasnt called a philistine and isnt really anyway

LFN

PS: Fart, pee, like a wrestlers jockstrap :)

That says it all.

I know what it is.

Yours

Lord Philistine Nelson

TAFKAG and Lord Philistine(may I call you Phil?) I find nothing wrong with bodily functions per se but if your gonna paint someone downloading their dinner, it should be done with the passion and conviction it deserves: fz067.jpg

Madame, you are delicious!! :)

Madame, you are delicious!!

I just realized you are the Richard Simmons of London. Who calls other people delicious? (O Madame, you are delicious!). I have no doubt that you bring tissues to the movie theater. A big pocket full.

The only reason Madame Defarge associates herself with you is because I think she admires the eccentric British dialect.

adidasfrescocolognebig.jpg

Michael Ballack - fresco, Sistine Chapel ceiling.

• Like 1

Brazilian artist Athos Bulcão, who often collaborated with DL pick Oscar Niemayer, has died at the age of 90. :rip:

Here are a couple of examples of his work.

athos.jpg

onda.jpg

Typical self-indulgent monomania from Emin there. Quite why The Independent think anyone would give a flying monkeys bum about it, I don't know.

This column isn't really any good. Really I shouldn't have written it.

No sh*t.

Now I really want to like Emins work, she's from my neck of the woods and I know a couple of people who were in her tent, as it were but damn, she's rubbish.

Tracey Emin:

My cat has AIDS.

Tracey Emin:

My cat has AIDS.

That was the Independent's headline....any suggestions for what the Sun would have come up with?

Well that's easy - 'My pussy is riddled with disease'.

Now I really want to like Emins work, she's from my neck of the woods and I know a couple of people who were in her tent, as it were but damn, she's rubbish.

Atj, a question. Could those people you know confirm or deny that she goes like a train?

Just curious.

That says it all.

I know what it is.

Yours

Lord Philistine Nelson

I am entitled to an opinion which is just as valid as anybody elses, If I want to use the vomit analogy to describe a painting that has been copied by 7 year olds at easels the country over and laterly by chimpanzees, I will use it.

If you want debate with me the merits of non figurative, post modern, impressionists and anything else, I will be happy to on any Art derived forum of your choosing.

I wont debate here in any depth because thats not why Im here. I gave a flippant but honest opinion of something, thats my call.

Your right,in this case, I dont rate Jackson Pollock, should I? Do you rate Michael Ballack? Opinions, opinions.

Oh, and dont you dare, for one second assume that I, because of my style of posting ( which suits me here thanks) in anyway makes me somewhat uncouth, unintelligent and some boneheaded knuckledragger, a view you have barely tried to disguise. Make no mistake, I have had a decent education sweetie, Im a lot smarter than I post.

Finally, there is a clear indication that you cant see the wood for the trees, ever heard of "tongue in cheek?"

LFN

PS: Fart, pee, like a wrestlers jockstrap :skull:

Here's a lovely little playlet starring Mark Kermode as the good Lord and Andrew Graham-Dixon as the 'KAG. I'll admit that the first picture they discuss is, erm, visually unimpressive, but you have to admire the chutzpah of G-D's pretentious interpretations. I think Marky's kind of won over by the end. Perhaps.

<strokes chin meaningfully...>

That says it all.

I know what it is.

Yours

Lord Philistine Nelson

LFN

PS: Fart, pee, like a wrestlers jockstrap :skull:

Here's a lovely little playlet starring Mark Kermode as the good Lord and Andrew Graham-Dixon as the 'KAG. I'll admit that the first picture they discuss is, erm, visually unimpressive, but you have to admire the chutzpah of G-D's pretentious interpretations. I think Marky's kind of won over by the end. Perhaps.

<strokes chin meaningfully...>

Hmmm, having watched it I think it lacks the intensity and venom of a classic Deathlist dual. They're both so nice to each other and a bit poncy all dressed in black for the telly. Neither seems to say anything that causes real offence. Now where were you....

Hmmm, having watched it I think it lacks the intensity and venom of a classic Deathlist dual.

.. I could send you my autograph.

I hadn't realised until reading about Damien Hirst's £111m auction coup last week that he achieved an "E" in his art A-level. As I got a "D" I'm wondering if I missed my way in life. Not that I would have ever dreamed up the idea of getting others to do the work. That's f*****g genius.

For those who wonder how these people do it, this item on Wikipedia is illuminating. As always, it's who you know and who knows who that matters.

Another chap who shifted genres.

So who comes out top? Damien, Rolf or Adolf?

I've been looking for a thread on artists and can't find one. Apart from discussing soon to be dead artists such as Lucian Freud, I'd like to kick this off with a debate on the dear departed Beryl Cook.

He may well drop dead tomorrow, but he looked ok for an 85-year-old in a rare TV interview on Channel 4 News today.

• Like 1