Red Flag

Robin Williams

There was always a dark side to him I thought. One Hour Photo showed that very clearly. It's still shocking though.

Have you ever heard of acting?!

That reminds me of what Laurence Olivier said to Dustin Hoffman on the set of "Marathon Man" when Hoffman would stay up for 3 days and nights at a time. Olivier is reputed as saying "Have you ever tried acting, dear boy?"

• Like 2

BREAKING NEWS - ACTOR ROBIN WILLIAMS HAS COMMITTED SUICIDE AGED 63 http://insidemovies....ams-dead-at-63/

I preferred him when he was in Take That.

Now he's loving angels instead. R.I.P Rob.

No it's the actor who used to be in Mork and Mindy who's died not the Take That singer

Didn't see that one coming! HOW DOES THE BBC DO THAT AGAIN???! A FEW MINUTES AGO I WAS WATCHING THE FAMILY GUY EPISODE WITH ALL THOSE ROBIN WILLIAMSES ON BBC3!!!

Some weeks ago the beeb showed James Garner movie on the same day he died. AND NOW THE BBC STRIKES AGAIN!!!

Robins.png

Someone please ask them to air a Bieber movie!

I think it would be too cruel of the BBC to show that little twat on our screens...It would be worth it though just to tempt fate!Maybe they can put the Family Guy episode about OJ Simpson on soon as well.

• Like 1

Was thinking about whether or not there's a "curse of Family Guy" the other night, as they showed the episode that had both Phylis Diller and Gore Vidal as guest stars.

BREAKING NEWS - ACTOR ROBIN WILLIAMS HAS COMMITTED SUICIDE AGED 63 http://insidemovies....ams-dead-at-63/

No it's the actor who used to be in Mork and Mindy who's died not the Take That singer

Didn't see that one coming! HOW DOES THE BBC DO THAT AGAIN???! A FEW MINUTES AGO I WAS WATCHING THE FAMILY GUY EPISODE WITH ALL THOSE ROBIN WILLIAMSES ON BBC3!!!

Some weeks ago the beeb showed James Garner movie on the same day he died. AND NOW THE BBC STRIKES AGAIN!!!

Robins.png

I think it would be too cruel of the BBC to show that little twat on our screens...It would be worth it though just to tempt fate!Maybe they can put the Family Guy episode about OJ Simpson on soon as well.

It was on last month.

I don't watch that many films. The only one of his that I know I've seen is Dead Poets Society. As for TV, I can remember Mork and Mindy, but never watched it.

Awakenings was a good film as well...

Merging threads. I reckon he deserves a thread of his own. R.I.P. Robin Williams.

Mind you, I thought there was a Robin Williams thread.

Edited by Paul Bearer

Robins.png

It was on last month.

Even Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad points out what an amazing coincidence it was that the BBC aired this particular episode.

Quote from Robin Williams "No. Cocaine – paranoid and impotent, what fun. There was no bit of me thinking, ooh, let's go back to that. Useless conversations until midnight, waking up at dawn feeling like a vampire on a day pass. No."

I would have been less surprised if it had been Robbie or even Rowan for that matter.

I was watching this a couple of weeks ago (can't find it on youtube now) and I did wonder if Robin would make it to 70 but I was thinking more along the lines of heart attack. I really didn't expect to wake up to news that he'd killed himself. I've just been reading up on Pam Dawber, she's lost a few colleagues quite young.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437856/

Apart from RW, the thing that cracked me up on Mork and Mindy was the family called the Wankers in a couple of episodes - Annie and Arnie w***er if memory serves. I almost pissed myself - but apparently it's a surname lost on most Americans. What a bunch of wankers:)

• Like 1

Just watched the fisher king , highly recommend it . Hadn't heard of this movie until a family member mentioned it with regards to robin's death.

R.I.P Robin .

• Like 2

Was very shocked to hear this and then got to thinking how few films I had actually watched with him in. Mostly they were kids things that I watched with my daughter such as Night in the Museum, Aladdin and Robots but he is in the excellent Terry Gilliam film The Fisher King which nobody seems to mention in all the tributes.

Like many actors who put in the hard work he has made a fair number of dud movies a friend of mine was in the habit of going to the cinema every week and would pick a film each week. After going to see Toys he came to the conclusion that there are not enough good films to justify a trip every week.

I did like his cameo appearances such as Osric in Kenneth Branagh's version of Hamlet, The King of the Moon in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen and the disgraced psychiatrist who works in a cold meat store in Dead Again

Unfortunately I have had all the songs from Aladdin stuck in my head all morning.

Yes, I have never seen much of his work either. Aside from endless Mork and Mindy repeats when I was a kid, I have onlky seen The Fisher King (good film) and his version of Popeye (not so good).

Er.......... whoop$....

Williams was found dead by his personal assistant at his waterfront home and sources revealed that he had hanged himself while in a seated position.

How does that work? :scratchhead:

There was always a dark side to him I thought. One Hour Photo showed that very clearly. It's still shocking though.

Well, I thought that there was something behind the facade. He was generally regarded as a comedian, but at least I thought that you could see sadness and some inner demons in his face. And not many comedians voluntarily go for roles like One Hour Photo, or more serious acting like Good Will Hunting or Dead Poets Society. Ok, Jim Carrey tried, but then he has his own problems. But could you see Will Farrell or Vince Vaughn or Ben Stiller in these roles?

Well, I thought that there was something behind the facade. He was generally regarded as a comedian, but at least I thought that you could see sadness and some inner demons in his face. And not many comedians voluntarily go for roles like One Hour Photo, or more serious acting like Good Will Hunting or Dead Poets Society. Ok, Jim Carrey tried, but then he has his own problems. But could you see Will Farrell or Vince Vaughn or Ben Stiller in these roles?

That tends to be the case with many comedians and comedy actors. They use comedy to hide what's really going on. The only trouble is when people meet you, they expect you to be in the same persona that they see on screen. Tony Hancock, Kenneth Williams and Freddie Prinz are 3 comedy actors that have committed suicide, There have been others that perhaps had untimely deaths due to alcoholism or drug abuse.

I am sorry about the person, but what I find even more sad is that the death of such an artist have such a big impact on the media. I respect his fans, and had I had some kind of emotional attachment to him I would not write this kind of thing, but from a purely artistical point of view most if not all of his work is mediocre at best. His career is the epitome of how shallow the so called "Western Culture" has become. And to make matters worse, many countries import these things.

The headlines should read "Flubber Star dead".

As an aside, I heard the news on CNN and a woman, whose name I don't know, said that he had been "fighting his demons". Later she retracted her comments upon request of some "mental health organization". I ask myself where we are going, the words are being limited in meaning to an extent that one day saying "good bye" will be forbidden because it carries religious undertones and is accordingly ideological.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

According to Wikpedia Kenneth Williams authorised biography argues that Williams did not take his own life but died of an accidental overdose. The actor had doubled his dosage of antacid without discussing this with his doctor; this combined with the aforementioned mixture of medication, is the widely-accepted cause of death. He had a stock of painkilling tablets and it is argued that he would have taken more of them if he had been intending suicide.

Er.......... whoop$....

Williams was found dead by his personal assistant at his waterfront home and sources revealed that he had hanged himself while in a seated position.

From what I remember, David Carradine managed it.

According to Wikpedia Kenneth Williams authorised biography argues that Williams did not take his own life but died of an accidental overdose. The actor had doubled his dosage of antacid without discussing this with his doctor; this combined with the aforementioned mixture of medication, is the widely-accepted cause of death. He had a stock of painkilling tablets and it is argued that he would have taken more of them if he had been intending suicide.

He overdosed on barbituates, given that his last words in his diary were "Oh, what's the bloody point?" I think you'll find it was suicide rather than accidental. Perhaps you should try reading his diaries as opposed to Wikipedia.

Er.......... whoop$....

Didn't we have a drawn out, highly-suspense-filled discussion of this in the spring where we found out you don't necessarily have to be dangling around to asphyxiate yourself with something tied around your neck? It may be slightly ropey science but I think we were all in accordance that it was possible.

• Like 1

Er.......... whoop$....

Didn't we have a drawn out, highly-suspense-filled discussion of this in the spring where we found out you don't necessarily have to be dangling around to asphyxiate yourself with something tied around your neck? It may be slightly ropey science but I think we were all in accordance that it was possible.

Yes, well, clearly it's possible. Gary Speed was another one, found sitting on the stairs wasn't he? It's just that I would have thought that the survival instinct would kick in and you wouldn't be able to resist slackening the pressure - which you obviously can't do if you've kicked away a chair or whatever. Like you can't kill yourself by holding your breath because your body takes over and forces you to breathe.

I am sorry about the person, but what I find even more sad is that the death of such an artist have such a big impact on the media. I respect his fans, and had I had some kind of emotional attachment to him I would not write this kind of thing, but from a purely artistical point of view most if not all of his work is mediocre at best. His career is the epitome of how shallow the so called "Western Culture" has become. And to make matters worse, many countries import these things.

The headlines should read "Flubber Star dead".

As an aside, I heard the news on CNN and a woman, whose name I don't know, said that he had been "fighting his demons". Later she retracted her comments upon request of some "mental health organization". I ask myself where we are going, the words are being limited in meaning to an extent that one day saying "good bye" will be forbidden because it carries religious undertones and is accordingly ideological.

I can't recall a suicide prompting more open debate on serious news channels, like BBC Radio Four, about depressive illnesses. Okay, it's prime silly season, but it's still high profile. That's a fairly positive legacy if it leads to more understanding. There was a fair amount of discussion this morning about the fact that women make up the vast majority of suicidal calls to organisations like The Samaritans whilst men make up the bulk of suicide scenes attended by the British police.