Mr Stats

World's Oldest

Britain's oldest woman has died. Can't find a web link (read it in the Torygraph).

Her name was Judy Ingamells, she was 112 & lived in Enfield.

• Like 1

Edith "Judy" Ingamell is a unique pick for my DDP team, thanks for the heads up Lady Die.

Edith "Judy" Ingamell is a unique pick for my DDP team, thanks for the heads up Lady Die.

Still can't find anything on the web.

No she isn't - two teams picked her.

No she isn't - two teams picked her.

Bugger, you're right. That's one less point.

In other old people news, today Maria Capovilla's lifespan ties that of the 5th (or 6th if you count Shigechiyo Izumi) oldest fully documented and officially validated person to have ever lived. Thus, if she lives until tomorrow, she'll move up a peg in the all-time rankings.

In other old people news, today Maria Capovilla's lifespan ties that of the 5th (or 6th if you count Shigechiyo Izumi) oldest fully documented and officially validated person to have ever lived. Thus, if she lives until tomorrow, she'll move up a peg in the all-time rankings.

Just out of interest, why wouldn't you count Shigechiyo Izumi?

I don't think Shigechiyo Izumi was officially validated, they only had their word on how old they actually were.

I'm surprised that Hurricane Katrina didn't finish off Lizzie Bolden (currently 2nd oldest living person in the world)

Just out of interest, why wouldn't you count Shigechiyo Izumi?

Although Guiness "verified" (and still claims) that he was the oldest documented man, most scholars disagree since certain anonymous member of the Japanese scientific community have come out (as far as one can come out anonymously) saying that he was actually born in 1880, not 1865, and that confusion arose because his older brother's name was used as a necronym when he died young.

Most scholars believe that he was born in 1880, but Guiness is probably afraid that it'll lose credibility if it admits it was wrong about Izumi.

Well, Maria Capovilla is now officially he 5th (or 6th, see above) oldest documented person ever to have lived. To move up another spot, past Canadian Marie-Louise Meilleur, she'll have to be around on May 2, 2007 a very possible, though highly uncertain prospect.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth Bolden will move up one spot (past the British recordholder) on the overall list and Emiliano Mercado de Toro will move up one spot on the males-only list (to second or third place, past the oldest native-born American) on March 31, 2006, persuant to the fact that they're both around of course.

By the way, did anyone ever find a source confirming Judy Ingamells' death? I couldn't find one.

By the way, did anyone ever find a source confirming Judy Ingamells' death? I couldn't find one.

No online reporting of her death, but the Telegraph did mention it on wednesday, albeit a tiny piece.

Which according to the DDP rules is enough, I've sent them a copy of this scan from the paper as proof.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9789/img1vc.jpg

No online reporting of her death, but the Telegraph did mention it on wednesday, albeit a tiny piece.

Which according to the DDP rules is enough, I've sent them a copy of this scan from the paper as proof.

I'm really surprised that that received so little coverage. Even in the snippet, there's no details. Something strange about that...

I'm really surprised that that received so little coverage. Even in the snippet, there's no details. Something strange about that...

I find it odd too, as the death of the last UK's oldest woman received a BBC obit,

maybe the media are becoming bored by extreme old age.

I find it odd too, as the death of the last UK's oldest woman received a BBC obit,

maybe the media are becoming bored by extreme old age.

Never fear however. Canadian Paul will update wikipedia with your image as proof!

What I found even more perplexing about Ingamell's death is not only did no-one report it nationally, but neither did the Enfield Independent.

In every other town, the death of an centenarian is normally good staple for an article in a local paper - but obviously there seems to be more important news in Enfield today.

As the Guiness records doesn't list another UK supercentarian in its midst, I wonder if the amazing Henry Allingham is now the oldest person in the UK?

Never fear however. Canadian Paul will update wikipedia with your image as proof!

I noticed you listed her date of death as the 8th of march,

that's only when the paper reported her death, not the actual date of her death, that isn't given so who knows when it was.

I noticed you listed her date of death as the 8th of march,

that's only when the paper reported her death, not the actual date of her death, that isn't given so who knows when it was.

I forgot to add the little question mark on her actual page, but it should be listed as the date of reporting if no definite date can be ascertained. Fixed now though.

What I found even more perplexing about Ingamell's death is not only did no-one report it nationally, but neither did the Enfield Independent.

In every other town, the death of an centenarian is normally good staple for an article in a local paper - but obviously there seems to be more important news in Enfield today.

I only saw it reported in the paper edition of the Torygraph.

Still no news reported anywhere of her death........

....so if Lady Die hadn't seen it, Tempus hadn't scanned it and CP hadn't put it on Wikipedia, would anyone online actually know about it? :o

It's made me think again about some of my choices & their "notability".

....so if Lady Die hadn't seen it, Tempus hadn't scanned it and CP hadn't put it on Wikipedia, would anyone online actually know about it? :o

It is odd that it's not reported anywhere on the internet. Maybe the Torygraph made a mistake :o

Well, she appears to be dead as the Guinness World Record site has taken her off after being informed from a individual source (ie not Wikipedia). I don't doubt for one minute she IS dead, but I am kinda flabbergasted that it isn't even mentioned, not even in passing, in her local paper.

Well, she appears to be dead as the Guinness World Record site has taken her off after being informed from a individual source (ie not Wikipedia). I don't doubt for one minute she IS dead, but I am kinda flabbergasted that it isn't even mentioned, not even in passing, in her local paper.

Has anyone informed the BBC or made a query?

That ought to get a small article made. As long as you relate it to Mr. Alingham (whatever) that is.

Maybe she ticked the box for "no publicity"

....so if Lady Die hadn't seen it, Tempus hadn't scanned it and CP hadn't put it on Wikipedia, would anyone online actually know about it? :lol:

Someone keeps changing the Wikipedia DOD to March 1, 2006, so it sounds like someone knows more than any of us... though I'll be arsed if I can find where they're getting their info from.

• Like 1