- - - - -

Crew of USS Enterprise There's Klingons on the starboard bow...

139 replies to this topic

#61 Anubis the Jackal

Twunt Master

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:49 PM

Shatnerian waxing on life, death and fame...

“I’m not going to be remembered any more than anyone else,” he said. “Fame and remembrance are so fleeting. None of us is remembered. Some of the great names I grew up with, five years after they were dead, no one remembered them.

“The Pharaohs have the pyramids. But we don’t remember the Pharaohs, we remember the pyramids.”

Nearing 80 has made the star reflect on his own mortality.

“Death frightens me very much,” he admitted. “The unknown and the nothingness of it. I’d rather not know I was going to go.

“But I’m having such a good time with the world that I live in, I don’t want to go anywhere.” </SPAN>

Pardon me but I got to run
The fact's uncommonly clear
I got to find who's now the number one
And why my angel eyes ain't here

Excuse me while I disappear

#62 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:14 AM

Alexander Courage, who composed the theme tune for Star Trek, has died at the age of 88.

Another one who has been beamed up is Joseph Pevney, 96, who directed the original Star Trek series.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#63 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:08 AM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on May 29 2008, 07:14 PM, said:

Alexander Courage, who composed the theme tune for Star Trek, has died at the age of 88.

Another one who has been beamed up is Joseph Pevney, 96, who directed the original Star Trek series.

Beat you to it. Twice. :P
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#64 Terminator

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Aug 22 2006, 10:15 AM, said:

Maybe Pooka, but I'd lay money that yer man appeared in one episode and I'm fairly sure it was the one I mentioned. He strolls around looking - well - big and bald but conceals a trick that he has the ability to mimic voices. So when two teams of four, good and evil, with both Kirk and Spock on the good side, are fighting to the death in some perverse version of Gladiators, his little skill lures others to their deaths.

Honest.

There must be a proper trekkie posting here who can verify all this.

Happy to oblige.....

Ted Cassidy appeared a couple of time in the original Star Trek series. The episone where he could mimic his voice was "What are Little Girls Made of" (apparently still a question blokes are trying to fathom!). He was an android, who although subsevient, was really in control. He did "appear" in a couple of other shows, but not in any prominiet part. Not mentioned, but he used to play Lurch in the 60s Addams Family.
Ad tabernam festino

#65 Terminator

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:50 PM

View PostTerminator, on Jun 1 2008, 07:19 PM, said:

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Aug 22 2006, 10:15 AM, said:

Maybe Pooka, but I'd lay money that yer man appeared in one episode and I'm fairly sure it was the one I mentioned. He strolls around looking - well - big and bald but conceals a trick that he has the ability to mimic voices. So when two teams of four, good and evil, with both Kirk and Spock on the good side, are fighting to the death in some perverse version of Gladiators, his little skill lures others to their deaths.

Honest.

There must be a proper trekkie posting here who can verify all this.

Happy to oblige.....

Ted Cassidy appeared a couple of time in the original Star Trek series. The episone where he could mimic his voice was "What are Little Girls Made of" (apparently still a question blokes are trying to fathom!). He was an android, who although subsevient, was really in control. He did "appear" in a couple of other shows, but not in any prominiet part. Not mentioned, but he used to play Lurch in the 60s Addams Family.

I've (sadly) just discovered that Ted Cassidy provided the growls fot the reptilian creature Gort in the episode Arena and also the voice of Balok in the "Corbomite Maneuver"(sic)

He'll always be Lurch to me....
Ad tabernam festino

#66 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,312 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:01 PM

Cracking story in today's Sun. Walter Koenig was 'best man' at George Takai's gay wedding.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#67 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:11 AM

George Takai has one of the voices which are essential to hear. Out of all competition that can be categorized there are a class of people in each category who have the edge. Takei has one of those voices where nobody can sound like him. He has one of those voices where an impressive voice-double could be compared to the uncle who sings at the wedding. It is George Takai who has the most original voice I have ever heard.

#68 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,312 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:17 PM

Ask Shatner, well, anything.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#69 millwall32

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:11 PM

View PostBanshees Scream, on Jun 5 2008, 06:11 AM, said:

George Takai has one of the voices which are essential to hear. Out of all competition that can be categorized there are a class of people in each category who have the edge. Takei has one of those voices where nobody can sound like him. He has one of those voices where an impressive voice-double could be compared to the uncle who sings at the wedding. It is George Takai who has the most original voice I have ever heard.
I think that your fellow New Yorkers Opie and Anthony can be heard disscussing some of the finer qualities of Takai's voice and throat technoiques in general here.
The mother of idiots is always pregnant.

"Guess what. I've got a fever. And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL."

#70 Terminator

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:50 PM

Even after death. old "Scotty" has run into problems with the dilithium crystals...
Ad tabernam festino

#71 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:07 PM

They (I don't exactly know who) closed down the Star Trek experience in Las Vegas on the 1st of September. All the props and stuff were just going to be dumped, curses for not being there another couple of days, I could have gotten myself a few 'souvenirs'.

The actress that played the character that was 'aged' in one of the programmes in the original series was there signing autographed photos for $20. I can't remember her name, but she seemed to be in quite a lot of other TV programmes as a child actress. I would guess in her 70s now, but still looked good.
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#72 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

Majel Barrett, who played Nurse Chapel on Star Trek and who was married to Gene Roddenberry has died of leukemia.

I swear there was a Star Trek thread, but I couldn't find it... if the mods can, please move this post.

Edited by Lady Grendel, 18 December 2008 - 09:46 PM.
Post moved

Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

I still owe NAP

#73 Death Impends

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

Two Trek deaths within two months: Ricardo Montalban is GOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!
DDP Team - Thomas Jefferson Survives (2014 - 7/20 - Evans, Crowe, Ockels, Jaruzelski, Kasem, Farmiloe, Madoff) (2013 - 11/20, 4th place)

Personal 50: Billy Graham, Wojciech Jaruzelski, Sam Simon, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Luise Rainer, Gough Whitlam, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland, Eli Wallach, Superstar Billy Graham, Fidel Castro, Pope Benedict XVI, Prince Philip, George H.W. Bush, Albert Reynolds, Werner Franz, June Foray, Janet Waldo, George S. Irving, Henry Heimlich, Ingvar Kamprad, Bob Dole, Al Molinaro, Richard Attenborough, Nancy Reagan, King Abdullah, Helmut Kohl, Gunter Grass, Robert Mugabe, Fred Phelps, Jack Chick, John Glenn, Christopher Lee, Maureen O'Hara, Monty Hall, Bob Barker, James D. Watson, Mikhail Gorbachev, Muhammad Ali, Gershon Kingsley, Aaron Shikler, Lauren Bacall, Sid Caesar, Mickey Rooney, Stephen Hawking, Abe Vigoda (14/50 last year)

#74 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

View Postanonymous, on Jan 14 2009, 04:46 PM, said:

OoO's Theme Team is refusing to let MPFC's take the lead apparentely... :lol:

What a shame though, great actor and a great guy from what I've heard. :skull:

I still owe NAP

#75 Terminator

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

View PostCanadian Paul, on Dec 18 2008, 09:36 PM, said:

Majel Barrett, who played Nurse Chapel on Star Trek and who was married to Gene Roddenberry has died of leukemia.

I swear there was a Star Trek thread, but I couldn't find it... if the mods can, please move this post.

Wasn't she the only one to be involved in all Star Trek series' franchises? She was the computer voice in subsequent series.

It's vaguely worth mentioning that, as Nurse Chapel, she worked alongside Dr McCoy.

"Bones" and leukaemia....what an unfortunate coincidence.
Ad tabernam festino

#76 Cowboy Ronnie

I Need To Get A Life!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

View PostCanadian Paul, on Jan 14 2009, 10:02 PM, said:

OoO's Theme Team is refusing to let MPFC's take the lead apparentely... :o

What a shame though, great actor and a great guy from what I've heard. :(

One could argue that Ricardo Montalban's performance as Khan in the second Star Trek film saved and gave new life to the whole franchise. I liked the part when they put a silk worm in Chekov's ear, and that it featured a young Kirstie Alley, when she was still hot.

Plus how awesome was it when Mr. Rourke battled the devil on Fantasy Island? Legend.

#77 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:18 PM

View PostCowboy Ronnie, on Jan 15 2009, 11:06 AM, said:

View PostCanadian Paul, on Jan 14 2009, 10:02 PM, said:

OoO's Theme Team is refusing to let MPFC's take the lead apparentely... :o

What a shame though, great actor and a great guy from what I've heard. :(

One could argue that Ricardo Montalban's performance as Khan in the second Star Trek film saved and gave new life to the whole franchise. I liked the part when they put a silk worm in Chekov's ear, and that it featured a young Kirstie Alley, when she was still hot.

Plus how awesome was it when Mr. Rourke battled the devil on Fantasy Island? Legend.

I'm no Star Trek fan, but The Wrath of Khan seems to be the best of the films to me...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#78 BrunoBrimley

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:45 PM

I wonder if Montalban will be burried in a coffin lined with genuine 'soft Corinthian leather' and shaped like a Chrysler....or is that reserved for Lee Iacocca?

At any rate, sad to see him go.

#79 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:14 AM

Ed Reimers

The "veteran television and commercial announcer" has died aged 96. He also appeared in the classic Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles" as Admiral Fitzpatrick.
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#80 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

Leonard Nimoy is recovering after undergoing emergency abdominal surgery.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users