maryportfuncity

Scientists, Inventors And Techno Wizards

Have they tried switching him off and back on again?

• Like 6

Gene Amdahl, constructor of IBM mainframes still existing today, and discoverer of Amdahl's Law, is dead at 92:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3004884/high-performance-computing/gene-amdahl-ibm-mainframe-architect-then-a-rival-has-died.html

Ooh, that's a biggie!

I'm not totally sure, but I guess he was an A-List name in the IT world. Now I'm tempted to ask you... are you an IT guy?

He was, and yes, I am.

I did some of my first programming exercises on a mainframe from a competitor, a university owned VAX-11. Such mainframes as Amdahl designed were still in general use then, and some two decades later I did some actual (i.e paid) work on one of those IBM dinosaurs, still working for a large bank. I particularly remember the paperware that came with it: a filing cabinet full of it.

A biggie as opposed to a WOPR?

I did some of my first programming execises on a mainframe from a competitor, a university owned VAX-11.

I feel really stupid now. I've been using mine to clean the carpets. :wacko:

• Like 3

A biggie as opposed to a WOPR?

I suppose that's a yes. Computers aren't good at ambiguous questions; neither am I.

Ed Yourdon, structured programming methodology pioneer, has died aged 71- post-op complications.

A name that will no doubt be familiar to some amongst us, he was one of the inaugural inductees into the Computer Hall of Fame (the linked report amusing typos it as Computer Hal of Fame).

Ed Yourdon, structured programming methodology pioneer, has died aged 71- post-op complications.

A name that will no doubt be familiar to some amongst us, he was one of the inaugural inductees into the Computer Hall of Fame (the linked report amusing typos it as Computer Hal of Fame).

Yup I've read some of his stuff. His we're all doomed about the y2k bug tarnished his reputation a bit. Nevertheless: a big one in my trade dies, and quite unexpectedly.

Marvin Minsky, who combined a scientist’s thirst for knowledge with a philosopher’s quest for truth as a pioneering explorer of artificial intelligence, work that helped inspire the creation of the personal computer and the Internet, died of a cerebral hemorrhage on Sunday night in Boston. He was 88.

Surprisingly no DDP action.

SC

• Like 1

Ed Dubois, "iconic" designer of superyachts has died at 63:

http://www.superyachts.com/news/iconic-yacht-designer-ed-dubois-passes-away-4343.htm

And every multi-billionaire of the world sheds half a tear.

Ha! The occasionally snobish and elitist Telegraph has an "official" obit for Mr. Dubois.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2016/04/05/ed-dubois-yacht-designer---obituary/

"Bibliogryphon, please will you post another irrelevant list that no-one is interested in?"

Go on then you twisted my arm.

The Royal Society of Chemistry was formed in 1980 from the merger of two previous societies. The post of President is held for two years and therefore there are quite a few people who might make good picks and all should get at least a broadsheet obituary but if not I am a member of the society and they will get one in Chemistry World. Harry Kroto is probably the only one who would be mentioned on the news though.

There are 11 surviving past presidents and the current president (who is the first woman to hold the post)

Sir John Cadogan (1930-

Sir Jack Lewis (1928-

Sir Rex Richards (1922-

Edward Abel (1931-

Anthony Ledwith (1933-

Steven Ley (1945-

Sir Harry Kroto (1939-

Simon Campbell (1941-

James Feast (1938-

David Garner (1941-

David Phillips (1939-

Lesley Yellowtrees (1953-

Dominic Tildesley (?

Updated for the newly elected President who will serve for two years. I cannot find any reference to his year of birth but I suspect he is contemporaty with Lesley Yellowtrees as he states he was an undergraduate in the early seventies.

Anthony Ledwith has died.

and now Harry Kroto.

They seem to be dying more quickly than they can be elected.

Sir Tom Kibble, who helped discover the Higgs Boson, but was snubbed for the Nobel Prize, dead aged 83.

Goro Hasegawa, inventor of Othello, dies aged 83.

But wasn't Nakamaths dying of cancer? If he survives even cancer and a crushed skull he will surely reach 144 as he said. He should be alongside Zsa Zsa in the Immortal Legends of Deathlist thread.

Yup, he's dead. It's pretty black and white.

SC

What do you think of this recent picture of DNA discoverer James Watson?

14518758-large.jpg

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/dna-discovery-pioneer-james-watson-pays-cambridge/story-29382045-detail/story.html

His hand's blurred. He must have moved while the photographer was pressing the button!

A button down collar? Is this pic 20 years old?

• Like 4

Looks his age, but then, he's still out and about.

I do think he'd be a worthy DL name.

What do you think of this recent picture of DNA discoverer James Watson?

14518758-large.jpg

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/dna-discovery-pioneer-james-watson-pays-cambridge/story-29382045-detail/story.html

His hand's blurred. He must have moved while the photographer was pressing the button!

A button down collar? Is this pic 20 years old?

It's the same outfit he wore when he and Crick discovered DNA structure.

• Like 2