maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

American author and "gender theorist" Kate Bornstein has announced she has been diagnosed with early stage lung cancer. She is already suffering from a mild form of leukemia and her blog post alludes to other health problems.

I quite like Bornstein's choice of titles for a couple of her books :huh: :

Nearly Roadkill: An Infobahn Erotic Adventure.
Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws

Kate's Twitter has proven to be a treasure trove of health info. She's going in for an operation on the 25th to have the tumor taken out. She's very optimistic about everything, but she does have a slew of other issues that could complicate matters. Plus, it is lung cancer, which from what I know is not the best kind to be having. One to keep an eye on for me, and why not with such easy access?

American author and "gender theorist" Kate Bornstein has announced she has been diagnosed with early stage lung cancer. She is already suffering from a mild form of leukemia and her blog post alludes to other health problems.

I quite like Bornstein's choice of titles for a couple of her books :huh: :

Nearly Roadkill: An Infobahn Erotic Adventure.
Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws

Kate's Twitter has proven to be a treasure trove of health info. She's going in for an operation on the 25th to have the tumor taken out. She's very optimistic about everything, but she does have a slew of other issues that could complicate matters. Plus, it is lung cancer, which from what I know is not the best kind to be having. One to keep an eye on for me, and why not with such easy access?

Could we set up a Twitter list of potential DDP candidates who are dying on social media? Sid Waddell's disappearance from Twitter was the final clue that the great man had reached 140 characters and I can't be the only one annoyed that @ryan_buell throws up no more information than "DVD boxsets coming soon please RT!" for a man many of us are pinning their 2013 hopes on.

the great man had reached 140 characters

A euphemism new to me - like it!

Dutch author J. Bernlef WP died today,. aged 75.

regards,

Hein

I don't have any health information on him but Laurent de Brunhoff, who continued to write the Babar the Elephant series of books after his dad's early death (his father being the creator of the series), is now 87 years of age so he might be one to watch.

:smoking-smiley:

She's probably not good deadpooling material, but author, poet, religious pluralist and mystic voyager Marilynn Hughes is suffering from congestive heart failure, lupus and a malfunctioning pancreas. She is the founder of the Out of Body Travel Foundation. Their website should be getting increased hits in these austere times, as people look for an alternative to conventional package holidays.

• Like 2

David Oliver Relin dies at 49; coauthor of 'Three Cups of Tea' died of self-inflicted blunt-force head injuries

Did he hit himself with bricks?

gumbybricks.jpg

regards,

Hein

David Oliver Relin dies at 49; coauthor of 'Three Cups of Tea' died of self-inflicted blunt-force head injuries

Did he hit himself with bricks?

gumbybricks.jpg

regards,

Hein

Maybe it was writer's block...

• Like 1

Sol Yurick of Warriors fame is dead http://www.wnyc.org/...ol-yurick-dies/

And you didn't use a "come out and play" pun.

See this is why guests are fucking shit on this site.

I lurve The Warriors, tis my favourite film

Sol Yurick of Warriors fame is dead http://www.wnyc.org/...ol-yurick-dies/

And you didn't use a "come out and play" pun.

See this is why guests are fucking shit on this site.

I lurve The Warriors, tis my favourite film

Can U Dig It?

• Like 1

Did anyone else hear (80 next week) Wilbur Smith on the radio yesterday. Just signed a new and very lucrative contract, happily married to a woman 37 years his junior and planning to work for the next ten years. Oh yeah, and he's loaded!

Did anyone else hear (80 next week) Wilbur Smith on the radio yesterday. Just signed a new and very lucrative contract, happily married to a woman 37 years his junior and planning to work for the next ten years. Oh yeah, and he's loaded!

That definitely makes him a Sta Bard (anag)!

At first, this seems like a notaguest posting lifted off WIkipedia - Richard Ben Cramer, American author, has died of lung cancer. But he's someone I've actually heard off - mainly for his book, Joe DiMaggio - A Hero's Life, which I bought about a decade ago looking for 1) a weighty tome - I think it was about 600 pages but also 2) for more insight about someone I'd heard of, but knew nothing about.

The book, despite clearly being aimed at Americans and baseball fans in particular achieved both aims but also, remarkably, considering its core audience that it was marketed at, explained a lot to a non-baseball fan about the sport, as well as keeping the rounder-like fans happy.

Anyway, link here - http://sports.yahoo....34158--mlb.html

• Like 1