Boudicca

Ironic Deaths

At considerable risk from accusations of pedantry, I have compiled a cursory examination of irony/bad luck in the examples cited by Ms. Morissette, as follows...

It's like rain on your wedding day - Bad Luck

Now that would qualify as ironic if either bride or groom were meteorologists.

No it wouldn't. It would qualify as irony if they had chosen that particular day because it was the least likely to provide rain, but the mere fact that they were meteorologists would have no bearing on the irony of the situation, which is, as it stands, nil.

Why would a meteorologist choose to be wed on a rainy day?

No one would choose a rainy day for their wedding, common bloody sense.

Try actually reading and understanding my reply (emphasis added) before posting more drivel, Tempus.

• Like 1

At considerable risk from accusations of pedantry, I have compiled a cursory examination of irony/bad luck in the examples cited by Ms. Morissette, as follows...

No it wouldn't. It would qualify as irony if they had chosen that particular day because it was the least likely to provide rain, but the mere fact that they were meteorologists would have no bearing on the irony of the situation, which is, as it stands, nil.

Try actually reading and understanding my reply (emphasis added) before posting more drivel, Tempus.

Surely it's obvious that a meteorologist would choose a day least likely to be rainy, why would they do otherwise?

Or does the obvious elude your very limited IQ Star Crossed?

Surely it's obvious that a meteorologist would choose a day least likely to be rainy, why would they do otherwise?

In another thread TLC wrote:

I've done the complete opposite to you as the size of this thread put me off viewing it at all until Friday, as I generally like to read a whole thread before posting on it, it helps avoid repeating what everyone else said 10 pages before.

Worthy advice.

And in the case of some people, reading the whole thread also provides them with a clue as to what everyone is talking about and thus prevents them from entering a post which is greeted with a communal 'huh?'

Or is Tempus being ironic? You know, I'm getting lost in this irony jungle.

In another thread TLC wrote:

I've done the complete opposite to you as the size of this thread put me off viewing it at all until Friday, as I generally like to read a whole thread before posting on it, it helps avoid repeating what everyone else said 10 pages before.

Worthy advice.

And in the case of some people, reading the whole thread also provides them with a clue as to what everyone is talking about and thus prevents them from entering a post which is greeted with a communal 'huh?'

Or is Tempus being ironic? You know, I'm getting lost in this irony jungle.

I'm sorry but none of this has anything to do with Wincey Willis.

Please try to stay on topic.

I'm sorry but none of this has anything to do with Wincey Willis.

Please try to stay on topic.

Lol...you got me...I actually thought I'd posted in the wrong thread and had to check...

Imagine if I had actually posted in the wrong thread & gone off topic...man, that would have been ironic...possibly...

Tempus, I have to assume you are attempting irony. The irony of this is that you are unable to understand, or articulate, the essence of irony. :D

A couple of Bedouin meteorologists might well like the idea of a wet day for their wedding, particularly if they were the sole owners of Saudi Wellies Inc., Wellington Boot manufacturers, seeking to publicise their product, or if they had booked a honeymoon with "Bible ScenesRus" which had gone to some trouble to set up a reconstruction of Noah's flood for the great event in the prediction of which the meteorologists had used all their skill and judgement.

Of course, if the sun shone all day it would be somewhat ironic.

A family friend of Johnny "Mad Dog" Adair who did time for pointing a gun at a cop and threatening to shoot him, got shot and killed by the police on Sunday!

Would this be an ironic death?

Better still, a member of the Adair family was in the (stolen) car being driven by the scum bag in question, who was wearing a Celtic top (very strange for a UDA man in a car load of the same :) ) a local priest thought he was catholic and gave him the last rights! That has to be ironic (oh how I laughed :D:D ) a UDA terrorist getting the last rights from a catholic priest while wearing a Celtic top!!!!!

snip

a local priest thought he was catholic and gave him the last rights! That has to be ironic (oh how I laughed :lol::lol: ) a UDA terrorist getting the last rights from a catholic priest while wearing a Celtic top!!!!!

Of course, he could have changed his religion so he could have said "Ah well, thats another one of those fe***n b******s out the way" :lol: (PC version)

A family friend of Johnny "Mad Dog" Adair who did time for pointing a gun at a cop and threatening to shoot him, got shot and killed by the police on Sunday!

Would this be an ironic death?

Better still, a member of the Adair family was in the (stolen) car being driven by the scum bag in question, who was wearing a Celtic top (very strange for a UDA man in a car load of the same :lol: ) a local priest thought he was catholic and gave him the last rights! That has to be ironic (oh how I laughed :lol::lol: ) a UDA terrorist getting the last rights from a catholic priest while wearing a Celtic top!!!!!

Works for me, ironywise.

regards,

Hein

I suspect that Sophie Heathcote, already noted in the near misses 2006 may qualify as a tad ironic...

AUSTRALIAN television actress Sophie Heathcote has died in the American state of Connecticut, reportedly from an aneurism. The actress, who died yesterday, was also believed to have been suffering from skin cancer [........] She retired from acting in 2001 to concentrate on her all-natural skin care range, Ki, which she founded in 1998.

Although, I suspect that as her death was not attributed as skin cancer a debate on the subject may ensue.

Wonder how sales of Ki are going? :banghead:

What a pisser! Talk about unlucky!

Oh, Hi there, deeuu! Welcome to the DL.

Hope this works..........IRONY

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/hcw/kkk.jpg[/img]"]IRONIC

Take a close look at the poor guy lying on the theatre bed dressed in his freshly washed kkk outfit having just been shot at a meeting ........................................... now take a look at the colour of the doctors and nurses trying to save his life

Hope this works..........IRONY

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/hcw/kkk.jpg[/img]"]IRONIC

Take a close look at the poor guy lying on the theatre bed dressed in his freshly washed kkk outfit having just been shot at a meeting ........................................... now take a look at the colour of the doctors and nurses trying to save his life

I wonder how that unfortunate chap got on? :P

I'd contend that, strictly speaking, a death can never be ironic and that only certain statements can be ironic.

But that sort of pedantry aside...:

There's a certain irony to the fact that Allen Carr, the how-to-stop smoking guru, was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in July [yes, he used to be a gazillion-a-day smoker and you could argue that, far from ironic, his death is "fitting"]. He was given nine months and should be a definite choice for 2007, I'd say. He will get a UK obituary.

A certain irony to the death on Wednesday in a motorcyle accident of a chap who campaigned for the right of motorcyclists not to wear a helmet. The reports say a helmet was found at the scene, but that it's not clear whether the guy was wearing it. I like to imagine he was using it for some other purpose, perhaps as a receptacle to keep tools in or to hold a bowling ball. It would be a pity if it was on his head.

Motorcyclists' Rights Group Leader Killed In Crash

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/9768375/detail.html

[PS: Thank you for the various welcomes after my first post yesterday]

My friend is, however, easily-led, relatively poorly educated and open to almost any suggestive narrative

Give her Iain's phone number somebody, I feel a beautiful romance coming on.

Does anyone else remember the interview Wogan did about 15 years ago with a couple who'd set up an organisation called - I think - Together Forever. Their belief was that via healthy living and the right diet they could avoid death. I can't find their web site, in fact google the phrase and you're bombarded with reminders of Rick Astley.

I'm only askin' because the death of anyone in their organisation would be totally ironic.

...a couple who'd set up an organisation called - I think - Together Forever. Their belief was that via healthy living and the right diet they could avoid death.

This from Newsday:

PART II

THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH A Shortcut To Heaven

By Nathan Jackson. STAFF WRITER

23 January 1992

`EVERYBODY WANTS to go to heaven but nobody wants to die." An old saying and song that rings with truth. But suppose you didn't have to die? Suppose you could live forever just like you are and find heaven right here on earth?

Well, according to a small group from Scottsdale, Ariz., known as CBJ, you can. That's right - no dying, no life insurance policies, no messy ectoplasm to adjust to in the next world. Heck, no "next world."

Yes, Charles Paul Brown, his wife BernaDene and James Russell Strolle (together, CBJ) say you can live forever. Reincarnation is passe; the cemetery is for suckers. There's just one itsy-bitsy catch: You've got to begin turning our confused, crazy, violent world into heaven. CBJ promises "heaven on earth now," but only if we can find enough love to treat each other humanely.

During a 1991 New York trip, CBJ said that we can stop the aging process through an unconditional love and bonding with people who share this ideal. They also asserted that this cessation of the aging process is biological; that the idea of living forever "awakens the immortal cells in our bodies" and that the subsequent transformation is inevitable.

Wait a minute. Suppose immortality were possible: Since all of man's principles, ideologies and dreams are influenced, even formed by death - the big sleep, the biggest chill, the eternal vacation - wouldn't eternal life cause infinite chaos? What would happen to " 'til death do us part?" What about procrastinators? Wouldn't immortality change all our values and relationships?

To the contrary, CBJ says that physical immortality would free people from the confining, burdensome ideas and ideals that humans now hold as fact because of death. For example, they cite Caracas, Venezuela, which they have visited several times. Upon their return trips, they say, some of the impoverished people there had elevated their conditions - because they accepted their immortality.

Who would live in abject poverty forever, they ask. If you knew you were immortal you would have to take responsibility for your conditions and change them, they assert, rather than aquiesce to fate. CBJ also claims to have had a hand in curing drug addicts.

CBJ began with Charles' personal transformation back in 1959. He had heard of a Dr. O.L. Jaggers who was working in California and teaching that people can live forever. "I laughed like everyone else," he said. "I knew this guy was off the deep end."

But the idea alone "stimulated a cell awakening" in him, he says, and in 1960 he went to hear the doctor speak and met him. "Jaggers was too much into religious symbols for me," he reported. So Charles, a former nightclub entertainer, fashion buyer, and an ordained minister, set out on his own to tell the world that man was living far below his potential and that physical immortality was his birthright.

He met BernaDene in 1961 (they married in 1962) and in 1968 they met James, who was already searching for immortality through studies in Yoga (with Sri Aurobindo) and different traditional Christian religions.

Together, CBJ have traveled extensively throughout the world, gathering people along the way like pied-pipers. From Germany to Israel to Venezuela and even to Australia people follow. And why not: They're playing a song most people want to hear. Currently, they claim about 4,000 supporters of CBJ and the Eternal Flame Foundation (also in Scottsdale) world-wide. And there seems to be a smattering of internationals trailing them to each of their events.

There is no process to endure to become immortal nor is there an enrollment. No special foods, incantations or rites to perform. According to James, "it is simply about looking for people who want to live and are willing to come from a new aliveness in themselves."

In the Foundation's book, "Together Forever," CBJ says, "Humankind has always had some innate sense of being eternal. The difference in being physically immortal is that we have the ability to continuously renew, regenerate, restructure and recreate our physical bodies so that we can remain here forever. As immortals, we have the ability to acclimate ourselves to any situation, to prevent ourselves from being subject to aging and death."

Diet and exercise do play a part in their immortal process, in that a higher quality of life breeds the desire to take better care of your body. Damaging stress is a thing of the past, as well as life-threatening accidents. Charles said, "We are not accidents waiting to happen." These things, apparently, are not a part of an immortal consciousness.

"Together Forever," which has sold a reported 4,000 copies, has been translated into Hebrew and Spanish, and the foundation is preparing a push to sell it in all English-speaking nations this spring.

Every year around July the Eternal Flame Foundation has a "convergence" - a gathering of people from all over the world for two weeks to support each other in their "total aliveness." (Information about physical immortality and the convergence is available at 1-800-423-4404, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mountain time).

At the convergence, supporters (between seminars) can see experts in nutrition, muscle relaxation, including Rolfing, colonics, accupressure and just go out and have fun at the Grand Canyon and other sites. All of these are designed to support cell regeneration.

Are these folks for real? Well, they do seem to be aging - Charles is 54, Bernie 52, James 35 - despite their striking good looks, most notably their strong posture, glowing skin and bright eyes. James admits to seeing some wear on his body but claims the cell regeneration process will eventually make him look better than he does today.

There seems to be no scientific data to back the claims of infinite cell regeneration. Dr. Eckard Wimmer, professor and chairman of microbiology at the state university at Stony Brook, L.I., says, "Many cells regenerate. We've put cells in a culture and watched a certain amount of cell division but all cell life has a limit. Life can be extended but cells must die. The only immortal cells are cancer cells and they kill their host." Wimmer adds, "There is and there will never be anybody immortal."

Dr. Philip Furmanski, chairman of the biology department at New York University agrees, saying, "One only needs to look at the available evidence - everyone dies." He does point out that "a certain amount of cell regeneration does occur but science is not certain why cells eventually die."

In the end - so to speak - CBJ's biggest hurdle is not scientific skepticism but the age-old reality: People always die. And we just won't accept an idea that has never been proven (and would take quite some time to do so).

On CNN's "Larry King Live" show at the end of last year, Jerry Falwell, a guest with CBJ, seemed very disturbed by the idea that immortality would eliminate the need for religion to manage their lives. But the aging Falwell did seem tempted by the idea of living at least as long as Methuselah.

Newsday Photo by Erica Berger- James Russell Strolle, BernaDene and Charles Paul Brown - together, CBJ - want to alter the reality of mortality.

If and when people start twinning web sites the way they twin towns, I reckon we should join with that lot in the above post.

Not an ironic death, but one of the 7/7 victims jobs before the attack, was to help assess London's vulnerability to a terrorist attack.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/5393804.stm

She did a lousy job, it appears. I suppose government lawyers will have a field day with this poor woman.

regards,

Hein